Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Rule bilge pump parts needed

Found an inop bilge pump today - took it apart and the brushes were completely worn out. Since there are 8 of these Rule 2000 model 12 pumps aboard, I looked at the rule website and saw that they “do not sell parts for liability reasons”. I think they mean profitability reasons! New brushes should be $5 and Rule wants $152 list for a new pump.

The pump is like new except for the brushes. Has anyone figured out where to get replacement brushes? These pumps can be opened up in about 5-10 minutes to be inspected...and while I’m there I’ll put in new brushes if they can be found.

2. Re: Rule bilge pump parts needed

Try any electric motor repair shop....maybe even a generator/alternator automotive repair shop likely has sources....Last time I bought brushes was for my central house vacuum,,,a local shop had all sizes and shapes...alas I just passed there yesterday and the place was gone....bring your old pump motor and brushes....

OR....check brushes aboard until you find a good set and use them for taking measurements....to specify new brushes.....Does Rule make their own motors?? any name/model/ on the pump motor itself??? Likely the springs snap fit on the brush? Sometimes they are embedded in the brush...
    You could even buy one new pump and use new brushes inside if identical as a sample to measure....

A Google search turned up good online hits like

http://stmaryscarbon.com/electrical....FQRJFQod5VhbrQ
    see the second photo, fractional HP brushes....
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

Re: Rule bilge pump parts needed

hit a shop...you can also get brushes and file them down to fit.

check mcmaster-carr. they have a fairly good assortment. you just need to know what size you need. search for electric motor brushes (page 925).

http://www.mcmaster.com/

If those are 32v pumps, you can get them for around $90 from most of the internet marine suppliers. Not saying you shouldn't try to repair them if you want but they are not as expensive as they sound.

Thanks for the links. I picked up a new pump for $108 inc 6.5% FL sales tax in Ft. Lauderdale. I'll be dissecting the new pump and one of the old ones to measure the brushes.

If it were only 1 pump it wouldn't be a problem...but I have 8 of 'em and that's $864 to replace them all. I was amazed to see that the old brushes worn out. That's enough to bring this up to the top of the things to do list. It took about 5 minutes to remove the biilge pump, disassemble and inspect the brushes. While it's apart, replacing the brushes is about another 15 minutes work.

Some things can be replaced when they fail, but a bilge pump failure could get a little ugly!

I'll post some pix and parts info after this problem is conquered!