Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
here are some more questions. this [diesel] could possibly be kerosene. it was used for a basement heating unit. it has no water in it, it has a red color to it, it smells like diesel but not as strong of an odor. i have never heard of diesel being used as a home heating source. my questions are: if this is kerosene, does it go bad? can i filter it and run it in my boat? [i have heard that kerosene is a more refined version of diesel ?] should i just kill grass with it? it turns out that it is only about 125 gallons, not 300 as originally thought. it is still about 500 dollars worth of fuel if good, if not i have a lot of weed killer, and a 300 gallon tank to boot. thanks for your opinions. bigbill
You can burn Kerosene in a DD it does not have the lubricating qualities of diesel but there is no need to worry about that unless your using it for years. It burns very clean but produces less power than diesel fuel. Engines with injection pumps in line or rotary should not use kersone because of the lack of lubricants.

Home heating oil can be used in diesels but it is not filtered as well and the cetane rating is lower. So you should use a cetane booster and expect more frequent filter changes.

In FL all "off road" high sulfer diesel is dyed red it is not legal for on road use. Large trucks are checked pick up's almost never. I was checked in a pick up and got fined for high sulfer fuel. The DOT pulled some fuel saw it was red and issued the fine. I went to court with it based on the idea that red fuel was not conclusive proof that it was high sulfer. I found several additives that turn fuel red. The judge agreed with me and threw it out.

Marine pumps in FL all supply off road dyed diesel it is legal for use in recreational boats in FL.

Brian