Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Best Price on Shore Power Cables

I'm about to spring for 2 new 50A cables. One 50ft and one 25ft, preferably white jackets. Figured I'd see what the collective brain here says before starting to google my butt off.

I called Charles Marine directly and almost passed out when they told me they get 900 bucks for a 50 footer.
    Shawn
    58 MY

Re: Best Price on Shore Power Cables

Wow....for that price i'd make my own

I can get you a hubbel 50 A 125/250 cord ( white) 6 AWG cord for $730 plus freight. let me know if you need one. 407-739-5450
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I see that www.hodgesmarine.com has the 50' 250v Hubbel cords in white or yellow for $538. They also have the Hubbel 25' cords for $372. This way you can get BOTH cordsets for your $900! I hope this helps!
    Last edited by ThirdHatt; 07-26-2008 at 09:32 AM.

I would not get the 25'. Unless you have a specific need, like you are going to use it at your dock and store the 50' on board.

The 25' is never long enough and the 50' is always long enough. They are both heavy of course the 50' is heavier than the 25 but there is on reason to carrry the weight around. Again unless you have a specific reason.

garyd
    Have Fun Boating

I agree with Gary. The only thing worse than spending that kind of money is spending and then finding out that the cable you bought is too short to be useful. The only use for a 25' cable seems to be at home, if you are in a slip where you really only need 25' of length. Most marinas seem to assume that most folks who travel will bring 50' of cable. I do.

Two 25's is worse yet, because you have another two ends to go bad, corrode, overheat, and fail. Oh, and possibly catch fire.

And NEVER leave them laying on your dock. If you can easily take them with you, DO! If that gets stolen, you'll be kicking your own butt. No power until you buy another one, and out hundreds of dollars.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

His original post said that he is buying TWO new cables, a 50' and a 25' so he is not choosing between the two lengths. I totally agree that if you are only going to buy or have one, it should most certainly be a 50'.

I like the one of each setup. I use the 25' at my home dock and keep the 50' on board for other places but I always bring the 25' too if I have an eventual destination other than home. I have used both once while away but the 50' alone almost always works. Other than at my home dock (which I had the power pedestal installed mid-slip for this boat) I have never been able to use the 25' by itself, it's always the 50'. If you can, both is best.

http://www.boatfix.com/cart2/Scripts...ld=description

These guys have Charles' 25 footers for 338 and 50 footers for 394. I bought a "Smart Y" from them and came it right away. Backorders are a little troublesome if they take place, but I understand they are solving that.

Of course freight is an issue on these bad boys, but they will calculate that for you depending on where you are.

I'll take half the money this saved you in beer. Keep the change.

George

I knew you all would have answers.

I agree that if you were going to only carry one cable, a 50 is it. The reason for the 25 is less for a situation where the 50 is too long and more for a situation where it isn't long enough.

That 25 added in series to the 50 gets me to a pylon 75 feet away. I realize the extra resistance and heat potential of more connections but think a 50 and a 75 may be too much of a good thing.

Thanks all... beers on me if you can get to NY.

Shawn

PS. Sorry for posting in the wrong place
    Shawn
    58 MY