Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Water Pressure Pump

My galley maid water pump is taking 5 minutes to build to 32 pounds of pressure. This began several days ago and has been getting progressively worse. I even tried to use the 120 volt pump and noticed this was building pressue slow too. As a last resort I hooked up the dockside water, it quickly built to 32 pounds and all is well.

There are no leaks in the line and the water tank is full.

Any suggestions.

Reverie

Re: Water Pressure Pump

Might be the pressure tank or a blockage in the line from the pumps.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

air leak or debris or crushed hose/pipe between the tank and the pump...

has to be before the pump.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I agree with Pascal; if BOTH pumps are exhibiting the same symptoms, it has to be in the portion of the system common to both which means somewhere between the water tank and the pumps.

Do you have clear braided hoses feeding into the pump(s) from the tank? If so, see if there are air bubbles when the pump is running. THis would indicate a leak in the feed line somewhere. Of course, it could be the opposite problem, an obstruction of some sort. Do you have a filter or strainer in the line between tank and pumps? Check it for debris.

May I jump in. I had similar problems with my 12v GM pump and installed a new stator. Initially it failed to reach 32lbs but I traced it to a weak battery. My pump is set to kick in at 18lbs. Is that correct? Here is my big problem - air. I have no leaks and it will hold pressure @30lbs in the system all day, but it sputters when it gets to around 20lbs. My suction lines seems fine and it happens even if the water tank is full, filter is clean.

Hal
    Hal
    Stonington,CT
    "ARETE" 37C
    Hull #HATBF3800579
    Vessel #US608410

Check your holding tank vent. You may be drawing on a vacuum. Check for spider nest. Try over filling your water tank and see if the vent flows water.

BILL

Re: Water Pressure Pump -problem solved!!!!

After hours and buckets of sweat I traced the leak to the plastic cover on the strainer (suction side of the pump) which was cracked and letting water in with the air- too much air in the system for the pump to get to pressure so it just ran- slowly. New strainer and all is well- with the potable water that is.
    Hal
    Hal
    Stonington,CT
    "ARETE" 37C
    Hull #HATBF3800579
    Vessel #US608410