Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Re: 58 motoryacht/cockpit motoryacht 3 vs 4 staterooms??

I was captain of a 58 YF back in the 1980's. The previous owner had two fiberglass poles about 12 feet long, and about the thickness of a whip antenna. Installed in each aft corner of the cockpit were stainless plates with a hole in them for mounting the fiberglass poles upright, making the tops of them visible from the wheel on the flybridge. I used them for the first few months of running the boat, and thought they were an inexpensive aid in knowing where the back of the boat was, when backing into a slip.

Re: 58 motoryacht/cockpit motoryacht 3 vs 4 staterooms??

I usually know where the back of the boat is, it's the pilings that I can't see that concern me. They don't move when you hit them, well, most of them don't. I'll have to learn to back the way Pascal does - from the pilothouse. He's very good with the 58MY in that regard and makes it look like a piece of cake.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Ha ha about the pilings! More great points re ladders outside vs inside.

We saw a cockpit motoryacht with optional cockpit steering we liked very much, several years ago. Have not seen another equipped like that since.

How much is one of those trick wireless remote control steering units, including installation?

expensive... and you probably also need electronic controls instead of cables...

frankly on a boat with a pilothouse, you dont' really need a set of controls on the aft deck. if visibility is an issue, then a rear cam is all you need to back the boat from teh pilothouse.

If you only have a flybridge, then yes, cockpit or aft deck controls will place you close to your lines without having to rush down the steps.

the Johnson 70 i took to Nantucket a couple of months ago has a set of controls on the aft deck which is nice for single handling instead of rushing down the stairs form the skylounge. although to back the boat in, from the helm you can actually see the swim platform port corner for the helm upstairs. The sight angle down the stairs and thru the aft deck gate down the steps to the swi mplatform is perfect.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

My neighbor has one of those handheld remote controls. I'll ask him how much it was. Interesting device.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"

Terrific, never would have thought of the camera. Okay, how much to install a rear camera in a weatherproof housing, plus video monitor?

How much also to install a cockpit steering station. Do the Hatteras yachtfish/cockpit motoryachts setups permit easy installation since cockpit controls were an option?

My neighbor said that remote control, installed was $8,000.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"

Thanks Ang, not bad! I assume the installation was on a traditional cable steered boat?

I'll bet installing a rear steer station would cost at least that much, and the remote obviously beats the heck out of that.

I'm sure that boat has micro-commanders. I can't imagine any way possible to use that on a traditional cable steered boat without a "man behind the curtain." Just ain't no way!
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"

Quote Originally Posted by hyperfishing View Post
    Terrific, never would have thought of the camera. Okay, how much to install a rear camera in a weatherproof housing, plus video monitor?
    Most high end Multi-function Displays (MFD) support video inputs. Garmin 42XX and 52XX, Raymarine E and G series have video inputs. Furuno NavNet 10" has a video option which is purchased seperately and field installed.

Raymarine has a outdoor camera with reverse image for a rear view which Boatfix sells for $457.

Mark