Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: 58 motoryacht/cockpit motoryacht 3 vs 4 staterooms??

More great info, thanks.

OK, I'll chime in, having been through this drill over the past year. We went through the same buying process, looking at 53MY,53ED, 56MY, 58MY (Galley up and down), 58YF, 58LRC, 61CMY and 61MY.

When all the sorting was done amongst boats on the market at the time, the 56MY won out and now, after about 3600NM of cruising and full time living aboard (just the wife and I) for over 9 months, we are happier with our choice than ever. I suppose the 61CMY would be our "perfect" boat, but extra size brings extra compromise and inconvenience (fewer places to anchor, moor or dock) and we have seldom missed having the cockpit, other than the boat is really not "fishable" without one.

Anyway, my comments on some of the afore-posted issues.

1) The extra 2'4" of beam of our boat vs a 1510 makes a huge difference in liveability.

2) Walk-around decks are wonderful, and point 1 above is an important factor. One thing the WA decks bring is a nice awning over the salon windows, providing shade and rain protection to the salon windows. Secondly, they make getting from bow to stern a breeze. Third, it is better to tromp from aft to forward with crud/water on your shoes than tromping through the nice salon. Fourth, you can scrub down your hull sides without the need of a finger pier. Fifth, your aft quarter spring cleat is accessible from the boat and more easily tossed where it is needed under the circumstances. Sixth, I like walking the perimeter while underway.

3) As Ang said, the aft deck naturally attracts people. It is certainly the most often used and favorite space on our boat. Being the full width of the boat, it is very spacious. It affords great views of the outdoors that salons do not. It is more accessible than the flybridge and is easier to protect in bad weather, so it gets used in all weather. I would never have a boat without one, and the bigger the better, Perhaps that's why the only boats we find more attractive than ours are some of the big Burgers and their ball room sized aft decks.

4) That being said, the flying bridge is the second most favorite place, and certainly the favorite fair weather hang out. We have stairs, rather than a vertical ladder from our aft deck to the FB, which makes a very big difference. I'd prefer the access to be from the lower helm. Our FB is very big and open. The foredeck is a very close second in fair weather for passengers and I think one of the very best things about these Hatteri vs other boats.

5) We have a galley down arrangement. Ann loves this; she is a very good, but very messy cook. The extra beam makes the galley large; we have very full sized appliances and the dinette is convenient.

6) Another benefit to galley down is that the lower helm is open to the salon and has outstanding all around visibility. I can see and get to any important part of the boat instantly. I am at this point in my career an average helmsman at best (being a little dyslexic doesn't help), and this aspect makes a huge difference to me. For this reason, I would not own an enclosed pilot house boat either. Whenever I get on a new-to-me boat, the first thing I do is go to the helm, hold the shifters, and look around. By the way, our FB has decent visibility down the hatch and out the back, and I usually disembark from there. Docking always takes place at the lower helm.

7) One attraction of the other arrangement options was the ability to have dedicated office space. Our TV and stereo system is on/in the helm seat, so we were able to find a desk that fit perfectly into the starboard aft corner of the salon. Right now I am "working" at that desk while Ann watches DVDs in our stateroom. Still, a dedicated room would be a "nice to have".

8) I have not felt a need for rear controls on this boat ever. Mostly because the electrical and water hook ups are forward, and we like the view better from the aft deck, we dock bow-in all the time. The two times I have had to back her down into a slip have been pretty easy, especially with a crew member on the aft deck or dock hands on shore.

9) I don't see the need for one, but you can get wireless back up camera and monitor systems for hundred or two bucks now. My old company distributes that kind of thing, but it has never really occurred to me to get one, despite having the "keys to the candy store", so to speak. And believe me, I need all the help I can get!

George
    loving life aboard "Incentive" 1981 56MY currently moored in Westport Harbor, MA.

Thanks george for the extensive reply. Slips over 60 feet are nearly impossible to find, so that indeed rules out anything bigger than that.

Lots of terrific points that I really appreciate.

I currently live aboard a 58 Galley up in NY and agree with virtually all these posts. Since compromise is inevitable it really comes down to an analysis of priorities.

For me, as an ex professional mariner a separate wheelhouse was a priority, and the galley up arrangement was more attractive to me.

I have to admit, I get jealous of a friends extra beam and expansive aft deck whenever I'm aboard his 56 MY.

another option that hasnt been discussed here is the 58 LRC. It is a wide beamed galley up option with a main deck head AND a cockpit.

ALL that of course for a 50% premium over a MY. Given the meltown in value of my boat recently and the cost of fuel, had I to do it all over again I think an LRC may be the best of all worlds... unless of course an 8knt cruise speed would drive you batty.

Shawn
    Shawn
    58 MY