PDA

View Full Version : 53MY freshwater tank question

mikep996
12-02-2004, 12:56 AM
I just discovered that there are two freshwater tanks on my 53MY. One is under the queen bed, the other is under the starboard bunk in the guest stateroom. There is only one water filling point (that I can find or that shows on the blueprints).

So...do the two tanks interconnect at the bottom so they will both fill when water is added through the filler to the aft tank? I assume there must be. If there was water available at the marina - turned off Thanksgiving day - I would just dump water into the aft tank and see what happens in the forward tank.

Also...There are float-operated magnetic-coupled gauges on each tank-interesting. I removed them both. The one under the queen was non functional because the rods on the unit were corroded a bit so the float would not move freely. I cleaned them and the float moves fine now. The other was non-functional because there was no float at all! I guess I'll try to make one.

double eagle
12-02-2004, 02:27 AM
Hi mike
see your not down from your high of getting the boat..
you will be waking up 2-3am thinking of things to check on..
sounds like you waited for a good one...
anyway the water fill in the rear tank and just flows forward till the tank is full and then the rear fills and overflows...
suggestion...take a short pc of hose 12 inches ..with the female end on it....put that on your dock hose when you fill..it will let the tank fill and over flow with out building pressure on the tanks..
hope you understand what I am getting at
bill
are you going to join the 1510 club???
we have a winter rend coming in feb

Nonchalant1
12-02-2004, 02:37 AM
Mike,

There are actually 3 fresh water tenks. All three are connected and fed from the single fill point on the aft port quarter corner. The third tank is located under the floor in the aft stateroom. The gauge for the third tank is in the starboard rear corner of the aft stateroom closet floor. If you stick your arm down into the bottom of the bilge near the keel and the bilge pump in the middle of the aft stateroom, you can feel aft end of that tank and the 2" hose pipe connection between the lazarette tank and the keel tank.
The port stateroom tank has a vent pipe like the aft tank. When the system is full, water will come out of both vents (at opposite ends of the system.
The 3rd tank also has a magnetic coupled gauge made by Rochester Gauges and it is usually the gauge that's connected to a helm station water level remote gauge because it's the best indicator of full vs empty.

Doug
1978 53MY