PDA

View Full Version : VHF Radio Problem

CapetaniosG
05-05-2008, 10:43 PM
Hi to All.

I have two SEA VHF radios that appear to have the same virus (strange).
In the transmit mode I hear a rapid click, click, click. Last season they were fine. What can it be? Could it be electrical? The supply is 12V. or is it something that may need factory repair. The thing I don't understand is why
both radios exhibit the same problem. Any thoughts from anyone?

Thanks
capetaniosG

Trojan
05-06-2008, 07:37 AM
It sounds like low voltage. Check your supply volts during transmit. It also could be from a high SWR. Check your SWR.

BILL

chris piazza
05-06-2008, 07:50 AM
Well first of all I am pretty sure that a VHF doesnt get a virus. I am assuming that each has it own antenna? If not and you are using one of those automatic splitters that's probably your problem. I would tend to believe that you have an electrical problem. Test the voltage at both radios. Do you get a low voltage message on the VHF display? If its making a clicking sound I would start with the ground first making sure the connections are tight and not corroded. Also check and make sure it is at least 14ga or 12ga if a longer run.

Chris
Superior Nights 53C

bobk
05-06-2008, 09:35 AM
If they worked before and now don't, something has changed, and I would look for what the radios have in common. Checking voltage when transmitting is a good easy first step (I always do the easy first). Make sure grounds are tight and clean. When mine began acting up, I found a loose ground on a buss that was burried behind a breaker panel. Check antenna leads for corrosion, and check the antennas as well.

Bob

Top Shelf
05-06-2008, 07:33 PM
I agree, check the ground first. Also, does it just click when any of the depth sounders on? Did anyone move cables or xducers when you were on the hard? Thx.

CapetaniosG
05-06-2008, 09:42 PM
Thank you all for your input. I suspected it may be electrical. I'll check all the radio wiring when I get to the boat next month and I'll post progress.

Thanks

capetaniosG
Lady Ntina Hat 53MY