PDA

View Full Version : thru-hull fittings

spincycle
05-04-2008, 03:12 PM
Having trouble closing my thruhull seacock that supplies my forward head with sea water, i can't move it with my hands, how much pressure can I put on the lever, gentle taping with a hammer? it looks in good shape but I really don't want to break it off!!!!!should I just leave it untill the next haul out. trying to close it to service my forward head water supply line.

Spincycle

yachtsmanbill
05-04-2008, 04:30 PM
The handles are cast bronze so dont force it !! I ended up tapping mine with a ball penis hammer and they moved. There is usually a little slack in the handle to stem mount; hold that slack tight and tap away, in both directions.
If it doesnt move, a little propane heat may help. If its still a no go wait for the haul out.
If it has a stainless ball for the gag, it should move. If it has a bronze gag thats metal on metal, but should go after some persuading. The bronze type has a tapered plug and once free you should be good. ws

fixin-to-cruise
05-04-2008, 07:48 PM
You might try a slipping a piece of PVC pipe or a deep socket wrench on an extension over the handle for leverage and sloooowly moving the handle back and forth to get it working again. I have the same year boat which makes me guess since that technique worked for me it will for you too.

I think that the worst case would be that you could break the end of the shaft that turns the ball valve - which would require attention at the next haulout anyway. There are three 1/4" bolts holding the flange of the valve to the hull bottom, so the through hull fitting should be structurally unloaded when you work the valve. Check to make sure that those bolts are in place before you put much force on the handle.

The ball valve inside is stainless steel with a plastic seat. You probably have some sea life growing inside there.

Brian Degulis
05-04-2008, 09:40 PM
Assuming it's a ball valve (flat steel handle with a plastic cover probably yellow?) If it won't move with a little force take the handle off then loosen the packing nut or take it off. Squirt some WD in the packing and gently tap the shaft with a soft hammer or brass punch. then slip the hadle back on and try it again repeat if needed sooner or later it should free up

Brian