PDA

View Full Version : Goodby Mr. Plumber!

(Nobody You Know)
03-15-2008, 11:29 AM
I just wanted to share something I accomplished with a new plumbing product called "SharkBite" by Cash Acme in Alabama (http://www.cashacme.com/).

Just this week I finished installing a hot water circulator at home. During a recent trip to Home Depot to buy the fittings to do the project a clerk (retired plumber) suggested the “SharkBite” system which is basically an assortment of couplings, “Ts” and “elbows” that connect copper, CTS CPVC and PEX plastic pipes. It is virtually "plug n' play" (and I do "plug n' play" really good, knowhatimean?). Due to the very tight area where my water heater is installed the old style “solder” products would have made this a lengthy and tedious job in a confined area dangerously toxic.

I just wanted to share this because this product, in my mind, removes the final obstacle to my virtually being able to fix anything plumbing related myself (the only exception is the time element in tackling a job, if that’s an issue). I see no reason why this product would not work on a boat.

Disclaimers: I have no financial interest in Cash Acme. Forgive me if I may have missed an earlier thread on the Product.

spartonboat1
03-15-2008, 11:44 PM
I just had a major upgrade to our well system and requested the best components that the driller could suggest. From what I can see, they installed the Cash Acme SharkBite pieces inside the house at the expansion tank and other areas. I have had no issues whatsoever, but then that is only a few months.

However, their (Cash Acme) website indicates that the genesis of their products has a long history going back to submarine applications, which would be mission critical components. The only area that is not clearly spelled out is the O-rings which are the internal seals. I am not an expert on the lifecycle of O-rings, so just what the lifespan of these installations would, who knows.

At any rate, maybe these are a good choice for replacement piping on the Hatts. Beyond that I have no knowledge of the product.

Thanks for the post, as I now know what was used on my well system, as I was curious about the appearance and the functionality.

Genesis
03-16-2008, 01:26 AM
O-rings, if undisturbed, last essentially forever in a static application (and this is)

bobk
03-16-2008, 09:27 AM
O-rings, if undisturbed, last essentially forever in a static application (and this is)

Karl, I agree, but is this a typical static O-ring application? Heating/cooling cycles could concievably result in sliding movement of the pipe past the O-ring and vibrations might too. Then there is the unknown of chlorine. Some owners like to shock the water systems and that might reduce life too. The polybutylene plumbing of the 1980's was supposed to last for ever and that tells me how well plumbing systems are tested before sale. Just MHO.

Bob

spartonboat1
03-16-2008, 01:53 PM
The SharkBite utilizes an internal SS clamping/gripping ring around the inserted pipe against the piping material, be it CU or Schd40. So unless a tool is applied to release the gripping ring, the inserted pipe is there to stay; but they mention that the pipe can be rotated, but should have no fore-aft movement, after the pipe is inserted into the gripping ring.

Their website has videos and audio describing the functionality and installion procedures, plus describing the engineering approach (high level) and cross-sections of the fittings.

The O-rings material is still unidentified, as this point of the thread.