PDA

View Full Version : Mauric acid to clean the shaft and props

akintosyali
03-09-2008, 11:18 PM
Last week I cleaned the old dried out organic stuff on the shaft and the props with muratic acid. It smelled awful, but it worked like magic. Because it smelled so bad, I just went into the boat and got busy doing other things, and forgot to wash off the acid off the props and the shaft. A week later, I visit the boat, the shaft had brown spots all over (like rust), and the props had a weird orange color on them. I used the muratic acid again to wipe down the shafts and the props, all the stains went away quickly, and this time I hosed it off.

As I left today, both props and the shaft had dried off, and they looked great..

So you think that I caused any permanent damage to the shaft or the props by not hosing them last week??

True Grit
03-10-2008, 08:37 AM
I would not think so. This is realtively diute acid and sounds like there was some surface interaction which you cleaned and washed away with the second application.

TG

Maynard Rupp
03-10-2008, 08:41 AM
I have never heard of this material or procedure. Are you talking about Muratic Acid?

Jackman
03-10-2008, 09:22 AM
If you use muratic acid its best to rinse it right away. You may not have done any damage but the acid can draw certain metals out of the props after prolonged and continual expposure from what I'm told and know about acids.

Brian Degulis
03-10-2008, 09:39 AM
No Damage other than that which you would need a microscope to see. Muriatic atacks what it can then stops working and dries up. It's likely the stains you saw were just the dissolved crud that had not been washed away

Brian

REBrueckner
03-10-2008, 11:11 AM
In all likelihood no damage was done...however since stainless shafts and managaneze bronze props are rather distninctly different alloys, it's a possibility. As bronze is the more active, likely props would be more affected, if at all...but if you can't see anything like small holes or surface imperfections it's likely nothing to worry about...Rinsing promptly is a good precaution.