PDA

View Full Version : Last Poll for NE Rendezvous

Pages : [1] 2

nyrussell
01-10-2008, 07:23 PM
Okay Guys here are the ones brought up in the last poll. Remember distances for everyone and choose one. Then we shall poll for dates....

Noel

Passages
01-10-2008, 09:17 PM
Copy/Paste from the other thread. Pretty clear how I voted.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Essex Island Marina is a destination unto itself. Seperated from the town by 100' of water, it really is unique. Essex is a neat nautical town if you've never been. You must go the the Griswald Inn just to marvel at the artwork. At EIM, you'll see some impressive yachts, engoy a nice pool, lawn games, clean ammenities, small resturant and ice cream shop. Pull out your crusing guide and check for yourself.

As an added treat, Essex is just a short dingy ride to Hamburg Cove and my secret island where I found some silver reale last year. I'd be happy to load the jetboat with a metal detector & trowels and take any wannabe treasure hunters over to the spot.

Capt K
01-11-2008, 11:49 AM
If we wind up with EIM, there is a very cool antique boat show across the channel from there July 11 & 12. My father has an anique Penn Yan that he brings there every year. It's kind of nice and Sunday morning the ones in the water head upriver in an informal parade.

Just to be proactive, I'll get in touch with my contact there for availability.

K

MicroKap
01-11-2008, 12:14 PM
I'd still like to be further West on Long Island Sound to be "fair" to the people west and south of New York City. Most of the choices make for a very long day and we're traveling for the first time with our two little kiddies (2 + 1). Can anyone recommend another location that is further west so we can all have a maximum of a 5-6 hour trip and not a 8-10 hour trip?

Passages
01-11-2008, 03:50 PM
Like North Port or Port Jefferson? Where would you suggest Larry?

nyrussell
01-11-2008, 06:33 PM
Larry,

We took our little one (at 8 months straight from Block Island back to Lincoln Harbor in Weehawken. It was around 10-12 hours I believe). If possible would you like to trip together? EIM sounds very kid friendly too. Not that i am against it being closer but you could do the run in 2 stops as well. Just an idea to be thrown out. Also, nobody voted for anything closer except me. Kingston I believe on the other poll. But if i get enough calls i will ask Doug to include it and run the poll longer.

BTW, how far south of us are you? Wife wants to go south this year for her B-day dinner in August.

Noel

Capt K
01-11-2008, 07:39 PM
OK, not to be the naysayer, but this has been being discussed for a while now, and the area has never really been disputed. We got it started last year in the LI Sound/Ct area and agreed to continue. Over time, we could move around, or maybe a couple of different rendezvous can be set up. We could have the Eastern and the Western LI Sound areas covered separately to give us a choice or an option of more than one get together each season.

There I go, being the spoiler, again!

K

nyrussell
01-11-2008, 11:42 PM
K,

Let me point out that Port Washington was also mentioned earlier (and I believe that is in LI Sound right across from CT.) All Larry is asking for is some consideration for All not just a small group. BTW I was the one who started this last year. And then later on some of you ran with it as well. A bit closer in might be welcome to some. And might help expand this gathering too. So far I have not voted but I know Block is out for us. We went there last year and it was a ride out and back. More importantly there are other places to go and see. And other things to do. Maybe a trip up the Hudson to the CIA for a meal? but then again if only Eastern LI works for you.....

Not to be a spoiler but....

Noel

Passages
01-12-2008, 08:54 AM
Let's get this back on track.

We had a good turn out in Greenport last year. Part of the sucess was due to the fact the members offered to host the event at their homeport - which happened to be a Brewers Yard - which offers free transient slippage if your homeport is another Brewers Yard.

The easy remedy here is to hold the event at the Brewers Yard in Westbrook. Capt K has graciously offered to be host, member "Hatterass" has been quiet but also stays at that marina. Westbrook is also 15 miles closer than EIM for those coming from the west. Though I prefer EIM as a place to visit, Brewers Westbrook just seems to make more sense if the objective is maximizing participation.

Let's stick with the original plan of holding this event in CT.

We can plan another event in western LIS at a later date.

Nick
01-12-2008, 12:25 PM
Right back on track there Jim! Good idea!

I can already taste that CT Clambake you are going to show us and Capt K's home fries for Sunday Morning!

Having done the slip reservations/logistics last year, I suggest having the get together at a member's home port marina. The folks we (any of us) know at the marina's we berth or frequent will be most accommodating on slips or making room for those who always wait till the last minute to join in. Remember last year's dock set up? Some of our friends at our docks sacrificed their spots and or access to their slips so that we could be in one area of the marina and even rafted up (rafting usually not allowed).

A west and east rendevous makes more sense. With time and vacation constraints, we are not likely to travel west beacuse the closest marina is Port Jeff for us out east. It is not a desireable location for what we want to do.

Westbrook is a great choice.

Looking forward the second annual whatever!

nyrussell
01-12-2008, 01:08 PM
Brewer's Westbrook is not in the back of my embassy guide :( Under another name perhaps? (And I just bought it at the NY Boat Show too)

Noel

nyrussell
01-12-2008, 01:17 PM
Brewers Pilot Point Marina?

Passages
01-12-2008, 01:18 PM
Brewers Pilot Point Marina?

That's it.

Here's the website:

http://www.byy.com/Westbrook/index.cfm

nyrussell
01-12-2008, 01:44 PM
Straight from the website FYI:

Brewer Pilots Point Marina offers you a chance to join a community and participate in the boating way of life. Becoming a member of the Brewer family encompasses a myriad of feelings and activities into one. There's water sports, sunbathing, swimming, picnicking, dancing, and most importantly spending time with friends and family. It's a weekend getaway or a mini-vacation any time you want it.

Brewer Pilots Point Marina has a long list of amenities that seems to grow with each new year. We take great pride in offering these conveniences to our customers and guests, see below for a detailed list:

MARINE AMENITIES

* 863 seasonal slips
* Floating docks
* Dockage to 130'/14' Draft (High tide)
* Water at slips
* 125v / 30A
* 220v / 50A
* Fuel dock: ValvTect Marine Gas & ValvTect Marine Premium Diesel
* Dock staff monitors channel 9
* Cable TV at each slip
* MLW: 8'
* Pump out station & pump out boat

PERSONAL & FAMILY AMENITIES

* Showers and heads
* 2 Sparkling swimming pools
* Picnic areas with barbeque grills
* Ice and marine supplies on-site
* 2 club houses
* Courtesy van (for local rides)
* Wireless internet access available
* 2 Sand volleyball courts
* 2 Basketball courts
* 2 Tennis courts
* Putting green
* 2 Playgrounds
* Gazebos
* 2 Pavilions
* Courtesy van for transient guests
* Restaurants on-site (Boom)

NEARBY AMENITIES
# Groceries nearby
# Shopping nearby
# Laundromat nearby
# Easy access to I-95
# Amtrack nearby
# Restaurants nearby (see below)

Every summer Pilots Point Marina has a number of activities for all ages; Pirates Weekend, Customer Appreciation Day, Kid's Activity Day, and Friday Night Movies.

Seems to have everything Essex Island does and is an hour to two closer.

Noel

Passages
01-12-2008, 01:47 PM
Seems to have everything Essex Island does and is an hour to two closer.

Noel

Then it's settled.

Brewers Pilots Point it is.

34Hatt
01-13-2008, 10:29 AM
Yup that is why I did my homework first before I voted!!!!

As for being a spoiler, last year was actually started by Scott "Boatsb " & I because he was coming to L.I for a wedding that is also why the date was never even discussed!!!! Then Nick offered up Sterling instead of me doing it in Brick Cove.

Capt K
01-13-2008, 07:58 PM
Yup that is why I did my homework first before I voted!!!!

As for being a spoiler, last year was actually started by Scott "Boatsb " & I because he was coming to L.I for a wedding that is also why the date was never even discussed!!!! Then Nick offered up Sterling instead of me doing it in Brick Cove.

You know, every year, in November, we drive thru Brick Cove on our way to or from our Greenport Thanksgiving weekend. We are always impressed with the advanaces that we see from years ago and think it would be interesting to see what it's like "in season".

I would like to see it as one of our next poll choices.

K

Capt K
01-13-2008, 07:59 PM
Then it's settled.

Brewers Pilots Point it is.

Not until the poll is complete and we have a definitive answer.

K

mopester
01-13-2008, 09:35 PM
Any room for temporary land lubers??

Passages
01-13-2008, 09:46 PM
Any room for temporary land lubers??
Sure, just like last year, you don't need to come by boat to join in.

Or are your asking if anyone has a room for a stowaway?

Nick
01-13-2008, 09:48 PM
You bet, all are welcome!

nyrussell
01-14-2008, 02:26 AM
We drove in last year from NJ when we could not get a good weather window. of course NOAA screwed up but..

Noel

MicroKap
01-14-2008, 10:36 AM
We're alright with Westbrook as well...now, we just have to set a date.

Noel,
If you want to come visit, you can look in your new Embassy Guide for marinas on the Shrewsbury River in New Jersey. Simplified directions are...from the center or the span for the Verranzano Narrows Bridge in lower NY harbor, proceed at a heading of 180 degrees for about 7 miles to the tip of Sandy Hook. Stay on the west side of the hook and follow the buoys in. Sandy Hook is approximately 7 miles long. From the tip of the hook to our marina, Atlantis Yacht Club (next door to the Channel Club) it's just under 1 hour, including the two draw bridges. First Bridge, Highland Bridge has approx 38' clearance and the second bridge, Sea Bright Bridge, has about 16' clearance. The best part of Sandy Hook Bay is that there are no inlets to run, just wide open water. Just make sure that once you're inside the hook you should stay in the channel. Also, don't get to close to the Navy Pier. They don't like people getting too close to the ships with the munitions.

Let me know when you want to come and visit. Also, we found the difference between an 8 month old and a 2 year old is that the 8 month old can sit in the same place for a while where as the 2 year old wants to inspect every nook and cranny and play with all the cabinets and buttons.

If you want a trip up the Hudson at some point during the summer, it would be great to cruise in a group, even if it's just a weekend.

nyrussell
01-14-2008, 11:01 AM
Larry,

Sounds good, we are talking about a trip up the Hudson for the fall. Did you vote? As for the trip out to Westbrook, etc... travel as a group? Also, need a bungee cord for the 2yr old? we still have one from our Bulldog. I do plan on using that soon as well.

LOL Erin is already trying to get into everything.

Noel

mopester
01-14-2008, 07:50 PM
Great, not looking to stow away! just visit other hatts and owners. I've never been to one before. Thanks for the info.

nyrussell
01-15-2008, 12:47 PM
Not complaining really!!!!! LOL we drove out because of the weather and then right after labor day weekend (the following weekend) I basically singlehanded out to Block and back, the Admiral got to play with the lil one. Great ride, especially on the way back only took us 14 hours I believe.

As for your ride up, when and where will you be stayong at on the way up... Maybe microkap and I are going to run out together.

Noel

34Hatt
01-16-2008, 08:25 AM
Not complaining really!!!!! LOL we drove out because of the weather and then right after labor day weekend (the following weekend) I basically singlehanded out to Block and back, the Admiral got to play with the lil one. Great ride, especially on the way back only took us 14 hours I believe.

As for your ride up, when and where will you be stayong at on the way up... Maybe microkap and I are going to run out together.

Noel

Mark comes back up early usally some time in April.

MicroKap
01-28-2008, 03:55 PM
Have we decided on a date so that I can firm up my calendar? Would people be arriving on Friday and leaving on Sunday? I can't wait to start planning the trip. Great winter project on the computer. From the poll, it looks like Brewer's Pilots Point Marina in Westbrook, CT will be the winner. Looking forward to their nice floating docks.

Capt K
01-28-2008, 07:58 PM
I'm glad you asked, Larry. I think we have decided on July 18 & 19 which is Friday and Saturday. I was going to ask all to pm me one more time for a final count so I can tell the dockmaster this week. I would like to see as many come Friday as possible and the rest on Saturday. The leaving day would be Sunday unless you want to stay longer.

So far, I have confirmed Skamm Too, Hatterass, Dulcinea, End of the Line, Bandit, and Ocean Commotion. Chime in for the rest now, and I'll get the ball rolling officially.

Capt K

MicroKap
01-28-2008, 10:56 PM
Please count MicroKap in. I know it will be my wife and 2 kids, but not sure if additional "crew" will be coming as well. Looking forward to it.

Walter P
01-28-2008, 11:21 PM
If it's not too late, I would like to be added to the list. We have a 1982 Series 1 MY with a 15' beam. Larry Kaplan (Microcap) will probably be leaving about the same time from the same area in NJ. We are less than a half mile away from each other.

Larry, if you're reading this PM me with a telephone number so I can discuss with you. Perhaps we can run up together...

Walt

Capt K
01-29-2008, 05:05 AM
You bet, Walt. Guppy is in!

I'll talk to the marina and let you all know who to contact and when.

K

34Hatt
01-29-2008, 08:58 AM
Kevin
Count in Magic Hat a 34C I got Bob to join as a member but still haven't got him up to speed on posting yet. Its not easy having a 70 year kid to take care of!!! Just hope someone does it for me!!!

nyrussell
01-29-2008, 09:54 AM
Hey Larry,

We should be leaving Friday as well. Might be singlehanding on the way out due to work hassles with wife. Let me know eta for passing as i will also hook up and run with ya as well. As long as it is not too fast LOL. Also add one more to the list a uniflight 45 name of owner Chris. As for Nick, I will let him know now as well, he as a 53 hatt behind me.

Noel

Capt K
01-29-2008, 07:46 PM
Kevin
Count in Magic Hat a 34C I got Bob to join as a member but still haven't got him up to speed on posting yet. Its not easy having a 70 year kid to take care of!!! Just hope someone does it for me!!!

Don't worry Dan, we'll take care of ya! Oh, wait a minute....I'm older then you...NEVER MIND...

Next topic?

K

Hey, Noel, I will put Chris on the list. What is the name of his boat? Also, let me know about Nick with the 53.

K, again.:)

Nick
01-29-2008, 08:21 PM
Thanks Capt K for taking the lead on the logistics for the "CT CLAMBAKE"! and also for not setting up a new poll, or a poll for the poll.

We are in for the July dates and will try to get over Friday. We will probably drag a couple of other boats over, you know our other E Dock Queens who enjoyed our shindig last year! I'll see if I can get any other committments this early in the year.

Where is Bruce??

Dan, I'll help you when you are 70, I HOPE!!!

Capt K
01-30-2008, 05:05 AM
My pleasure! :)

johngalt
01-30-2008, 02:04 PM
Nick,I'm here,but I do not know if the weekend picked will work for us. As I told Capt. K in a PM,that weekend is typically the weekend of the Boy's Harbor fireworks in Three Mile Harbor and we always have a big party that weekend,which I could not miss. However, the past couple of years the continuation of the fireworks has been in doubt,and if they do not happen we certainly will attend the Westport bash. My problem is that last year no one knew if the fireworks would take place until about three weeks before the show. I will try to find out about the show ASAP and get back to you about our possible attendance. It sure would be nice to see you all again. I hope that everything is well with your family. Bruce

Capt K
01-30-2008, 06:32 PM
We'll get you in, Bruce!

K

34Hatt
01-30-2008, 08:31 PM
Bruce
Mark and I wondered the same thing we thought it is usually the weekend after the 4th??? I know Mark also wants to go to the Fireworks if its going to happen. I have a contact with the Grucci's I will see what I can find out on my end.

Passages
01-30-2008, 09:02 PM
Also did I miss something? JohnGalt mentioned Westport...When did that come up??Westbrook is what I think he meant to say.

nyrussell
01-30-2008, 10:08 PM
I beleiev the name of Chris' boat is the Interagator but i am not certain. It was one of 2 supposedly built as a demo for the CG.

Noel

johngalt
01-31-2008, 10:38 AM
Dan,the 3 mile fireworks are typically two weeks after the Fourth,normally the third Saturday in July. I have sent an email to the foundation that runs things at Boys Harbor but as of yet have received no reply. Mark, you are partially correct about the breakup of the event ,but the real reason is that Tony Duke , the owner of the property got divorced from his wife and it was a nasty one. In the end she got the Three Mile property that contains the main house and holds the benefit. The camp property has in fact been partially donated to the town and partially developed but it was the divorce that brought all of this about. Jim, you are correct ,I did in fact mean Westbrook . Mark, as far as getting any of the 3Mile boat yard dock monkeys to attend , that will be a tough one. I will mention it to them and see what they say. Bruce

johngalt
01-31-2008, 10:39 AM
PS, forgive my ignorance but I cannot seem to make paragraphs when I post. Bruce

Capt K
01-31-2008, 06:50 PM
PS, forgive my ignorance but I cannot seem to make paragraphs when I post. Bruce

That's ok Bruce, we get yer meaning!

Hope the Three Mile thing isn't dead, but also hope we'll get to see you in Westbrook!

K

mopester
01-31-2008, 07:34 PM
I beleiev the name of Chris' boat is the Interagator but i am not certain. It was one of 2 supposedly built as a demo for the CG.

Noel

if you have any more info on that demo boat i would be intersted. maybe a pic and builder when it was built etc.

saltshaker
01-31-2008, 08:53 PM
if its not too late add me to the list. We have a 46SF named Sea Enterprise and will be bringing our 2 little ones (Jack will turn 4 7/16, Nicholas will be 2 in September) and the dog. We are in the same club as Microcap and will come up with Larry and Guppy.

nyrussell
01-31-2008, 10:18 PM
LOL, will figure out how to hook up with the rest of the NJ contingent in a bit. For now we intend to travel with ya too. A veritable convoy of Hatt's through NYC it seems LOL.

Noel

Walter P
02-01-2008, 12:24 AM
Jack, Glad to hear you will join Noel, Larry and myself. We may have another Hatteras join us as well. It's the Kitty Hawk II from Patten Point (1980 DC). The owners, Ralph and Catherine Dudley will let me know probably by the weekend. Hopefully there will be space for them.

Walt P

Capt K
02-01-2008, 05:19 AM
You're on the list, Jack. Let me know about Ralph and Catherine, Walt.

Have a great weekend, all!

K

nyrussell
02-01-2008, 09:13 AM
Chris' boat is actually named INSURGENT.

Noel

Capt K
02-03-2008, 07:53 AM
OK, group. PM me with your addresses so I can forward the reservation forms. They are holding 600' of dock that is all together, so the more advance reservations we get in, the better chance of us locking up most of this area just for us! I have contacted some of you to send me groups of reservations from your areas. The Long Island group is working with me and Noel and two of his group are covered.

Anyone not working with Noel or Dan and Nick from Long Island, PM me.

This looks like it's going to be pretty big!

K

34Hatt
02-03-2008, 12:21 PM
Dan,the 3 mile fireworks are typically two weeks after the Fourth,normally the third Saturday in July. I have sent an email to the foundation that runs things at Boys Harbor but as of yet have received no reply. Mark, you are partially correct about the breakup of the event ,but the real reason is that Tony Duke , the owner of the property got divorced from his wife and it was a nasty one. In the end she got the Three Mile property that contains the main house and holds the benefit. The camp property has in fact been partially donated to the town and partially developed but it was the divorce that brought all of this about. Jim, you are correct ,I did in fact mean Westbrook . Mark, as far as getting any of the 3Mile boat yard dock monkeys to attend , that will be a tough one. I will mention it to them and see what they say. Bruce

Bruce, Mark and anyone else that wants to go to 3 mile fireworks!!!
The Date is set as of now for the 12th and that comes from the one's that light the fuse's :)

So looks like we can start a week early unless you come the B.I the 4th then we will start 2 weeks early :)

johngalt
02-04-2008, 06:47 AM
Dan, if that is the case then Kevin can include the Glory Be and crew. We will be there asd long as the show is the previous weekend. Bruce

Capt K
02-04-2008, 03:12 PM
Dan, if that is the case then Kevin can include the Glory Be and crew. We will be there asd long as the show is the previous weekend. Bruce

You are on the list! If you change, or add to, the boat name let me know. I will be talking to Dan or Nick to send a batch of reservation forms for that area, or you can PM me with your address and phone info and I'll send it all off to you.

Glad you can make it!

K:)

Capt K
02-05-2008, 06:33 PM
OK, last night we picked up a 58' MY from NY! The list is growing and so is the size of the boats. As you've all seen here, Nick was able to have the fireworks moved to another weekend so Bruce and his crew could join us with no conflicts!

Thanks, Nick!

Thanks, also, to all who are helping get the paperwork out for me and to all of you for making an effort to come out!

K

Nick
02-05-2008, 06:39 PM
You're welcome... wait a minute, what did I do? I think Dan took care of the fireworks schedule; he has an in with the Grucci folks who light the fuses! or maybe it was Bruce who may be the mayor of Three Mile Harbor!

We have a great time coming, thanks Capt K.

Nick

MicroKap
02-15-2008, 04:27 PM
Thank you Kevin for getting me the transient slip reservation for the upcoming NE Hatteras Owners Rendezvous at Pilots Point. I filled it out and faxed it in to the marina today. We're really looking forward to it.

So, are we going to participate in the pig roast in shed #3?...or are we going to do something Hatteras style? (I'm not exactly sure what Hatteras Style is.) All I know if that we're looking forward to the long weekend (and really good weather with calm seas and the current going in the right direction and everything working 100%). That's not too much to ask.

nyrussell
02-15-2008, 04:35 PM
pig roast? shed #3?

Noel

hunshatt
02-15-2008, 05:20 PM
Dan, I'm going to have to miss the Bert 31 thing, for this one??

Capt K
02-15-2008, 07:00 PM
If things go as they did last year ( and it was nearly perfect), we will probably be getting together as Saturday moves along. Then, sometime around mid afternoon, we'll start bringing our "stuff" to the gathering. A little while after that, the main thing will get put out and all hell will break loose.

After that, things were pretty loose. Some retired to their boats to unwind before coming back out. Some stayed. Some stayed, and stayed, and stayed, and stayed....right, Dan and Randykin?

Anyways, to get back to the original question, the pig roast and band is from another group but available to all for a fee. It is usually a pretty good time too, but you will already be full up on food and working on the rest, I would think.

Plenty for everyone here, tho. I have some restaurant ideas and connections for the Friday arrivals that want to get together to eat out.

It's going to be loose and fun!

Going to Cancun at 3am. I will pick this up again upon my return and detox!

Capt K

:)

34Hatt
02-15-2008, 08:47 PM
Dan, I'm going to have to miss the Bert 31 thing, for this one??
YUP

This is going to be a good one last year was great but I think this one will be even better. Tomorrow I am heading over to Ct since it will be safe Jim & Kevin will be out of town :)
Have you guys checked this pilots point marina out, it looks great I am going to do a drive thru tomorrow while I am over there. They also seem to be very willing to take care of us just like Brewers Sterling harbor did for us last year.

Nick
02-15-2008, 09:05 PM
Easy there! We don't want to offend the Stirling folks, right? After the Ct Shindig the crowd will be looking for 2009 for your 1 pot meal back at our place, or your place!

Where are you headed?

Capt K I am finishing some indoor paint stuff (at home) then heading for the tree house in Greenport for some maintenance. Have a great time in Cancun!

I love the Pig Roast idea. Jeff said they do a great job.

Nick

34Hatt
02-15-2008, 09:36 PM
Easy there! We don't want to offend the Stirling folks, right? After the Ct Shindig the crowd will be looking for 2009 for your 1 pot meal back at our place, or your place!

Where are you headed?

Capt K I am finishing some indoor paint stuff (at home) then heading for the tree house in Greenport for some maintenance. Have a great time in Cancun!

I love the Pig Roast idea. Jeff said they do a great job.

Nick

HUH I said like Stirling did they have a tough act to follow but we will see.

The Pig roast sounds good but I think we will just do our own thing. Beside how can you eat after Jim is done with the N.E clambake!!!

Capt K
02-16-2008, 02:47 AM
Easy Dan, I'm still here. Not leaving until 3:30AM.

Talk to you all in a week.

K

Nick
02-16-2008, 07:55 AM
HUH I said like Stirling did they have a tough act to follow but we will see.

The Pig roast sounds good but I think we will just do our own thing. Beside how can you eat after Jim is done with the N.E clambake!!!

OK, now that Capt K is on his way, let's have a poll on what to eat! (Kidding of course) Jim, your Ct. Clambake is going to be our treat of the weekend. Where is Jim?

34Hatt
02-19-2008, 10:52 AM
OK, now that Capt K is on his way, let's have a poll on what to eat! (Kidding of course) Jim, your Ct. Clambake is going to be our treat of the weekend. Where is Jim?

Jim is still recovering from Fl even though he seemed to keep standing not like his feathered friend!!!!

I went to Pilots Point this weekend It is a nice place. The pavilion is going to work out great it has a nice roof for all that don't want to be in the sun that weekend. It also has a grass area with table's and is next to the pool which has bathrooms there. The slip area is also very nice well protected so I think Noel and family will have a hard time sleeping since they won't be rocking!!!

There is a restaurant right next to our slips so I am thinking of that for Friday and then Saturday is Jim's Clambake!!!!!
There is a Club house there which I am sure is for members only, unless we find out were they hind the Key :)

nyrussell
02-19-2008, 11:00 AM
Dan,

But we do have heat and clean fuel. As for the rocking? what rocking? we just get 3' swells LOL

Noel

Passages
02-20-2008, 08:23 AM
OK, I just got back from the Miami HOF Rendezvous. (What is today? Wednesday?)

What's this about a pig roast?

MicroKap
02-20-2008, 03:01 PM
After going to Pilot's Point a few times in the past few years, if you want to go to Boom, the restaurant at the yard, pray for cool weather as there's no air conditioning in the restaurant and it gets hotter than an oven in there. The next closest place is a little more than a mile from the entrance to the marina (back entrance). The front entrance winds its way through the large marina. At night the back entrance is closed to car traffic. The pool and shed are a nice walk from the transient dock. I think there's also a playground. I think Beacon WiFi is also available at the dock, so we can post plenty of pictures live on the HOF site for all those members that won't be able to make it.

34Hatt
02-20-2008, 05:11 PM
OK, I just got back from the Miami HOF Rendezvous. (What is today? Wednesday?)

What's this about a pig roast?

Jim the Pig roast was mention with the slip forms but since you didn't buy a boat at the show I guess you did not see it! Beside's your Clambake will be much better !!! :)
So here is the slip reservation and the letter in .pdf form for anyone who needs it.

http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/ajxne/Pics/Pilot_Point_Marina.pdf

http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/ajxne/Pics/P.P.M_letter.pdf

Here are some pictures of the setup.

http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/ajxne/Pics/Slips.JPG
http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/ajxne/Pics/Pavillion2.bmp
http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/ajxne/Pics/Pavillion.bmp

johngalt
02-20-2008, 06:13 PM
Dan, that place looks huge , are you bringing the golf cart to shuttle some of our old selves back and forth to the boats? Perhaps we need to bring bikes? Bruce

johngalt
02-20-2008, 06:16 PM
Another question for those who have been there. As someone who is always up at the crack of dawn,how far of a walk is it to newspapers and coffee at 6am? Bruce

MicroKap
02-20-2008, 07:40 PM
If you leave the back entrance of the marina, close to where the transient slips are located, you can take a nice walk along the road (waterfront) to a Dunkin Donuts. It's probably close to a mile. It right near the Captain Stannard Bed & Breakfast (where I stayed the last time in Westbrook).

As a side note, as mentioned in an earlier post, the Water's Edge Resort is an amazing place and location. My yacht club had an event set for there a few years ago, but cancelled because of expected bad weather. It was 2004 and a number of us went anyway and had a great time even though the "Fleet Captain" cancelled all of the arrangements and reservations. We just rebooked our slip reservations and a number of us had a small group dinner.

One other thing to consider, there is very limited taxi service in this area, so (especially after hours, like after 8:00 PM) doing things at the marina is the best choice for things to do, but it might not be a bad idea to do a "pot luck" dinner the Friday night and the clam bake the Saturday night. If everyone was able to make something for 5-10 people we should be covered. We can always assign Salad/Apps, Main Course, Desserts as the date gets closer and we get everything firmed up.

Again, I'm really looking forward to the rendezvous.

Nick
02-21-2008, 08:12 AM
Can't wait!

Thanks for the marina photos, I don't see the Dunkin Donuts in the photos so Bruce I suggest you bring a hand held GPS, the place is huge!

The pot luck dinner works for us also, although I haven't asked the boss. The marina probably has gas Bar-B Qs not too far from our slips.

Nick

34Hatt
02-21-2008, 08:19 AM
Another question for those who have been there. As someone who is always up at the crack of dawn,how far of a walk is it to newspapers and coffee at 6am? Bruce

Bruce that is Funny I thought of you and check that out :) Like Larry said about a mile a lot shorter then last year.
Kevin said his truck will be there to shuttle stuff back and forth for the party.
Bikes are a great Idea I say bring them If you have them! I also plane on putting the raft to looks like lot of creeks to explore!
About the Bike's Ct doesn't have a BWI does it???? That's for me not you Bruce!!! Oh yeah and Nick!!!

Larry that is a good Idea about the covered dish.

nyrussell
02-21-2008, 09:12 AM
Pot luck sounds good. Since we have the wee one, we want the quiet slip... (is there one?) LOL. We have a grill on the aft deck too.

Now back to the new floor and bathroom rehab.... (pex arrives today supposedly)

Noel

johngalt
02-21-2008, 10:04 AM
I like the idea of a potluck event on Friday night as well. We shall be arriving late afternoon on that day. When do you plan on leaving Dan? Nick? I know that I cannot keep up with you Dan, but Nick I think you and I cruise in the same range. Bruce

Nick
02-21-2008, 01:31 PM
I like the idea of a potluck event on Friday night as well. We shall be arriving late afternoon on that day. When do you plan on leaving Dan? Nick? I know that I cannot keep up with you Dan, but Nick I think you and I cruise in the same range. Bruce

Yes Bruce we probably do cruise around the same speed (17-19kts)! I don't know when we will leave yet. If I take the day off and likely I will, I would leave by noon so I can catch up with Dan and Cris. Given the price of diesel lately, I think I may doing the trawler speed thing, until of course my kids, and admiral start whining at me me" WHY ARE WE GOING SO SLOW"!

Nick

MicroKap
02-22-2008, 12:17 PM
I believe Duck Island is just outside of the "inlet" for Westbrook. A lot of boats anchor behind the island as a breakwater. It's a fun place to zoom around in the tender. If I remember correctly, there is a small waterway to the west of Pilots Point with a couple of small marinas, but Brewers is huge. I think its 800-1000 slips and it winds its way around all the way back to the main road.

As a side note, for anyone who knows someone that is involved in scrapbooking, there is a really nice store in Westbrook's downtown.

If anyone needs a room, the Captain Stannard Bed & Breakfast is very close. The owners are very nice and they will pick you up and drop you off at the marina.

Does anyone have an idea of a headcount yet? I know, for us, it's going to be at least 2 adults and 2 kids (2 and 1). We may be bringing 2 more adults.

I also got my confirmation from Brewers, so space has been held for us.

nyrussell
02-26-2008, 02:03 AM
just got our confirmation too, see y'all there

Capt K
02-26-2008, 05:13 AM
All good ideas and the comments are pretty much straight on. The DD for Bruce was my first thought, too. The Boom restaurant would not be my first choice. Right across the street from the front entrance is New Deal Steakhouse and I have friends with an Italian/steak place a few miles away if anyone wants to do that. A marina shuttle van can be arranged.

The pot luck sounds good for the majority, but the off site restaurants can be used for others, too.

The club house is open to all but not reservable during the summer, usually. It is a nice place to hang out and read, watch tv, use computer, etc. This would be really convenient late at night for hanging out after the gig.

Keep the ideas coming and let me know as your confirmations are received.

K

Capt K
02-27-2008, 06:37 PM
I was in the marina office today and the dockmaster said she has three confirmed reservations, so far. Things are looking great for this! Keep the reservations coming in and I'll keep an eye on things here.

Oh yeah, Dan, the motorhome in the pavilion is not part of the deal!

K

34Hatt
02-27-2008, 07:52 PM
I was in the marina office today and the dockmaster said she has three confirmed reservations, so far. Things are looking great for this! Keep the reservations coming in and I'll keep an eye on things here.

Oh yeah, Dan, the motorhome in the pavilion is not part of the deal!

K

Kevin was one of them mine I faxed it but did not get a confirmation yet???

Capt K
02-27-2008, 09:21 PM
Dan,I just asked my son who is inputting the reservations and he's not sure, but he will start getting them to me as they come in so I can track them. I know we have Larry's from Microkap and Noel's.

Well, things are starting to happen. The dockage is coming together, the food ideas are gelling, and the last time I saw Jim he was up to his knees digging clams. HOF Shindig '08 is underway!!

K

nyrussell
02-28-2008, 12:52 AM
Okay, about the pot luck, what aboput breakfasts too? hmmmm

Gerber for everyone LOL

Noel

Capt K
02-28-2008, 04:56 AM
Okay, about the pot luck, what aboput breakfasts too? hmmmm

Gerber for everyone LOL

Noel

If Saturday's party is good enough, Gerber may be all we can manage:). I think Sat morning will be on our own but we'll see about planning another Sunday breakfast like we did last year. It's menu would depend upon Saturday's menu and leftovers. Last year it was pretty much a last minute thing which is why it worked out so well. This year we'll have to do a little planning to guarantee a breakfast' if that's what we decide we want. I think it's a good send off for the group.

K

johngalt
02-28-2008, 08:26 AM
K, the breakfast last year was a lot of fun, kind of the icing on the cake. I, like Dan have faxed my reservation but have not heard back yet. Let me know if you hear anything. Bruce

hatterass
02-28-2008, 09:07 AM
Kevin,
I'm in. I hope it will be nice sailing, I will have a long trip to the S. Yard. Let me know if you need anything or if I can help.
Dave

Passages
02-28-2008, 09:47 AM
Probably not too early to begin thinking about logistics.

1)We'll need one or two canopy tents. Does anyone have some? If not I can rent.
2) Each boat should bring an apitizer for the for pre-dinner.
3) Will need 2 of the big propane boiler kettles. Nick or Dan - did you bring them last year? I'll bring (2) 20lb propane tanks.
4) Ice, soda, water, paper/plastic plates & such will be part of the overhead. BYOB for adult beverages.
5)I have a large cooler so we're set there.
6) The clambake will consist of steamers, littlenecks, corn on the cob, boiled potatos in a seaweed wrap. On hand will be plenty of melted butter with garlic. Anyone up for lobsters? Not sure what market price will be in July but figure an extra $15 for a 1.5 lb bug.
7) For those not coming by boat - AMTRAK runs to Old Saybrook and we can pick you up. If you're driving, Capt K can let the guard know you're coming.

Thats all I can think of for now. Someone please confirm who will take care of #1 & 3.

nyrussell
02-28-2008, 10:18 AM
Should I try to reach some of my old contacts in Ct about the seafood? Been years but....

Noel

Might get a slightly better price....

34Hatt
02-28-2008, 12:59 PM
Kevin,
I'm in. I hope it will be nice sailing, I will have a long trip to the S. Yard. Let me know if you need anything or if I can help.
Dave
Dave It is a big cruise over but don't worry you have a Hatt!!!!

Jim I have 2 cookers I can bring just bring the propane also have two big pots all the stuff from last year. The one big pot I highjacked from my father-in-law last summer so that I had it for this year :)
I also have a ez-up 10'x10' but I don't think we need it since we have the gazebo!
I second the breakfast again Idea that was agreat send off!

Capt K
02-28-2008, 05:54 PM
I agree that we don't need the tents. The pavilion is large. Swing by some day Jim, and take a look. It is the areal next to the pool. Bruce, your form is in, but yours may be among the missing, Dan. Try faxing it again with a note to let Kevin from Skamm Too know it's been received.

Dave, if it's really bad out, I can meet you part way help to escort you back or keep you in our lee. I'm sure we can find something for you to do! Do you know anyone who has any connections with good breakfast coffees?

Jim, sounds great, so far. Yes, we'll have to put a list together for all of the "extras" that will be needed and maybe get some idea of who is bringing what (as we get closer).

That's all for now.

K

nyrussell
02-28-2008, 09:16 PM
I can handle the coffee end. Got a set up to handle it too.

Noel

Passages
02-28-2008, 10:27 PM
Don't worry about coffee Noel. Hatterass (Dave) owns a huge coffee consortium.

Capt K
02-29-2008, 05:09 AM
Don't worry about coffee Noel. Hatterass (Dave) owns a huge coffee consortium.

It was only a joke. I don't want to put Dave on the spot, yet.......

K

hatterass
02-29-2008, 11:14 AM
Fine I'm in for coffee. I could maybe even bring my espresso machine and we could make espresso martinis. ya now were talking! or espresso and sambuca or espresso and baileys or espresso and rum "Jamacinmewamer" or espresso and vodka or... ???
Dave

34Hatt
02-29-2008, 11:41 AM
Fine I'm in for coffee. I could maybe even bring my espresso machine and we could make espresso martinis. ya now were talking! or espresso and sambuca or espresso and baileys or espresso and rum "Jamacinmewamer" or espresso and vodka or... ???
Dave

WOW I know Chris would be Excited :)

Kevin sent it this morning again, added the note to tell you they got it!!!

Nick
02-29-2008, 03:00 PM
Dave

That sounds very nice! Thanks Dave.

The breakfeast (brunch) is a must! Capt K did a great job on the Home Fries and can't wait to do it again, I'm sure, right? What do we do with leftovers from a clam bake? Eggs and clams?, with home fries, espresso/Baily's?

I have a small canopy (about 10ftX10ft) also and will bring it just in case there is a crowd in the Gazebo/party area.

Capt K
02-29-2008, 07:39 PM
Dave

You had me at coffee, Dave.

K :)

Capt K
02-29-2008, 07:40 PM
That sounds very nice! Thanks Dave.

The breakfeast (brunch) is a must! Capt K did a great job on the Home Fries and can't wait to do it again, I'm sure, right? What do we do with leftovers from a clam bake? Eggs and clams?, with home fries, espresso/Baily's?

I have a small canopy (about 10ftX10ft) also and will bring it just in case there is a crowd in the Gazebo/party area.

We'll figger something for breakfast. As we get closer, we'll do a little planning while still leaving room for improve.

K

nyrussell
02-29-2008, 10:51 PM
Okay, just remember i have a really good coffee machine aboard too

Noel

hatterass
03-07-2008, 11:43 AM
Noel,
we could have a "coffee off" Just add the booze. if eveybody is interested I will bring down my home espresso Machine. It is a 1978 manual single group head g
Gaggia. It has a big brass dome and an eagle on the top. It is definitely over kill but we love our toys.
Dave
If I can find a pic I will put it up.

nyrussell
03-07-2008, 02:09 PM
Dan,

you win LOL, I was (am) in a different segment by far. But i do have capacity with my bunn thermal pot machine (not the home model) if neede as well as some coffee packets aboard.

Noel

Capt K
03-07-2008, 07:49 PM
Ok, wait a minute. Let's get back to that "just add booze" part....

K

hatterass
03-11-2008, 07:58 AM
K,
Don't worry we won't leave you out. Well have plenty of booze to try.

Capt K
03-11-2008, 06:10 PM
K,
Don't worry we won't leave you out. Well have plenty of booze to try.

I've been waiting four days for that comeback, Dave.

The rest of you, keep letting me know as you send in your reservations so I can follow along.

K

nyrussell
03-12-2008, 09:20 AM
Hey, I didn't know great coffee needed booze.... Maybe on the side though... Chambord or Grand Marnier to mention two. And what about the cigars?

Noel

Capt K
03-18-2008, 05:15 AM
OK group. The first few reservations came right in, then nothing. All who have sent reservations, PM me so I can recheck the count with the office. In order to keep the group together, I need the rest to get them in asap and PM me so I can make sure they are marked for our group.

There are some other reservations starting to come in and they want to block off a section for us first, if possible.

K

Capt K
03-31-2008, 10:03 AM
To date, I have the following seven boats confirmed:
Dulcinea, End of the Line, Bandit, Ocean K Motion, Microcap, Magic Hat, Glory B III, and the two resident boats, Skamm Too and Hatterass.

This gives us 279' of transients. We have about 500' available to us, so far.

Let me know if I missed anyone, and who is planning on atttending but has not sent in their reservation, yet.

I hear Nick has already had Ocean K Motion out around Shelter Island! Spring is here!!

K

34Hatt
04-01-2008, 08:24 AM
I hear Nick has already had Ocean K Motion out around Shelter Island! Spring is here!!

K

Heah I don't remember getting my Invite!!!!!!!!! :(

Capt K
04-01-2008, 08:29 AM
Me neither. Maybe we can set up a poll to see how many he invited. What do you think?

Anybody?

Nick
04-01-2008, 10:21 AM
Noooooooo need for the POLL. I didn't invite anyone, so don't feel offended. My "buddies" came by to give me a hand moving from the winter slip to the seasonal slip and FORCED me to take them for a ride! I had to oblige.

Dan, when are you coming to Southold? You can invite me.

34Hatt
04-01-2008, 12:38 PM
Dan, when are you coming to Southold? You can invite me.

Probably the first the first weekend of May will use it here for a week or two then head out. We have a extra seat for Ya !!!! Will let you know it is a nice run.

Capt K
04-01-2008, 01:29 PM
OK, enough said. I don't get offended easily, although a couple of Blue Points would be nice!

Now, back to my original question. Do we have more takers for the rendezvous waiting in the wings?

K

Nick
04-01-2008, 08:21 PM
Probably the first the first weekend of May will use it here for a week or two then head out. We have a extra seat for Ya !!!! Will let you know it is a nice run.

I'll make the sandwiches!

Walter P
04-05-2008, 12:01 AM
Sorry guys but I was out of action for a while. We do plan to attend with my '82 48 Series I MY. As I recall it will be held on July 18 & 19 at Pilots Point Marina.

Please correct me if my info is incorrect and advise as to how to make a reservation etc.....

Thanks

Walt P

Capt K
04-05-2008, 06:16 AM
Sorry guys but I was out of action for a while. We do plan to attend with my '82 48 Series I MY. As I recall it will be held on July 18 & 19 at Pilots Point Marina.

Please correct me if my info is incorrect and advise as to how to make a reservation etc.....

Thanks

Walt P

Hey Walt, great see you back out and about! PM me your address and telephone numbers and I'll mail or fax you the reservation form.

This brings us up to 8 transients and 2 homeboats...an even 10 so far!!

K

nyrussell
04-19-2008, 08:48 AM
back to the top of the list LOL

Noel

34Hatt
04-28-2008, 12:20 PM
So How is our Chef doing with the Clam Bake??????

MicroKap
04-29-2008, 05:21 PM
Can we get another roll call of who will be attending so we can start getting ourselves into "flotillas" and make arrangements. The way I see it, to save on fuel, if we have four boats per flotilla, we can have two "tow" boats and two barges. On the way back, we can switch. I'm so glad that we picked a nice place to visit, so it definitely makes the trip worth it. Ross MacDonald, owner of a 60’ Hatteras Sportfish with 650 HP 12V71TIs reported the following:

1900 RPMs – 54 gallons per hour – 16 knots
1450 RPMs – 24 gallons per hour – 11 knots
1000 RPMs – 18 gallons per hour – 9.5 – 10 knots

I haven't looked at my charts, but I think it's less than 100 miles, so it can be done somewhat economically. I'm looking forward to matching the faces with the screen names.

Capt K
04-29-2008, 07:07 PM
Good idea, Larry! Here's what I have so far (correct me if there's any errors).

Skamm Too (at Westbrook)
Hatterass (at Westbrook)

Dulcinea
End of the Line
Bandit
Ocean K'Motion
Microcap
Magic Hat
Glory B III
Walter P (unconfirmed)

I know things financially suck this year and we have a few boats on the fence, but I'd like to get as close to a final count as we can early because I have a few surprises I'm working on that need people counts.

Which brings me to the next point...let me know people count by adult/children by the end of May.

Excitement is building!!!

K

nyrussell
04-29-2008, 07:37 PM
I am looking at running around 1200 rpm or so, about 8-10 knots. That means we should be burning about 8-12 gph (I hope)

Noel

Passages
05-14-2008, 09:29 PM
Capt K,

Saw your note on the Pascoe thread, thought I'd reply here.

Sunday's work best for me to scout out ammenities for the party. I'll need a head count for food. Just like last year, it will be BYOB, and a dish for pre-dinner snacking.

For the big meal was thinking:

Salad
Corn on the Cob
Long Island Potatos (34 Hatt or Nick to bring)
Steamers
Little necks
Lobster
Plenty of drawn butter and fresh crushed garlic, (ummmmmm good)

Also got a PM from the Bird. He will attend. DOES ANYONE NEED A SAFE FOR THE HOME OR OFFICE? If so, please put an order in so Randy can write off the trip. Also, Randy will need a spare bunk. Anyone? I can attest he does not snore.

K - will you be around this Sunday?

34Hatt
05-15-2008, 01:02 PM
Jim Sounds good

Potatoes are no problem and also let us get the Corn! Already did the taste test with Eric and Sharon last year and L.I WON!!!

I have told the Bird I have a bunk for him for when ever he comes up. I also was trying to get Timmmmy aka Thuddddddd to come also. So If someone had a extra bunk for just Saturday that would be great. I will even let you pick which one :)
Trust me If both so up this could be very Interesting!!!

Nick
05-15-2008, 03:09 PM
He can have my whole bridge, or cockpit, and an air mattress!

K is going to do a great job of the Home Fried LI potaotes on Sunday!!!!

Hey Scott, take a trip north and visit your family?

Boatsb
05-15-2008, 03:33 PM
I am negotiating dates for the kid to go to LI as we speak. When and where is the party? I may be able to use this in my argument.

Nick
05-15-2008, 03:58 PM
July 19-20,2008 at the Brewer's Pilot's Point Marina in Westbrook, CT. Rides from LI start Friday July18.

Nick

Capt K
06-01-2008, 08:05 PM
OK, campers. I need each confirmed reservation to pm me with a count of adult, and children (ages?). Jim needs this info for the food and I need it for...well, let's just say that I need it and leave it at that (see what happens when I get put in charge of something?).

I realize this may change as we get closer, but we need to get a heads-up now, to get things going. As things change, or boats are added, just pm me and I'll adjust accordingly.

Thanks, all!

Capt K

nyrussell
06-01-2008, 09:04 PM
Capt K,

we will be 4 adults + a 19 1/2 month old. Plus count 2 more abouts as maybes

Noel

nyrussell
06-01-2008, 09:06 PM
2 more boats I meant.

Noel

Nick
06-01-2008, 10:13 PM
K,

Jeff and Theresa are coming Sat PM.

Nick

nyrussell
06-01-2008, 10:33 PM
oh yes, we are coming on friday with walt and others in a Hatteras convoy i think

Noel

Passages
06-01-2008, 10:33 PM
Hi Guys. I took a ride by Pilots Point today. The place is nice and I'm sure everyone will enjoy it.

With regard to food, market price today for lobster is $10/lb, so figure $15 per bug. Cherrystones and steamers are running about $5 a dozen. Prices usually drop a bit mid summer. We'll see.

I'm figuring everyone will want veggies, cherrystones & steamers with lobster as an option. Does anyone want clam chowder or lobster bisque added to the menu ?

So get the headcount to Capt Kevin, and I'll figure out a way to get folks the food they want.

Walter P
06-01-2008, 11:39 PM
Kevin, As of right now there will be 2 adults on my boat. There may be a change however as an old friend, also a Hatteras owner may join Monica & I. Should be able to tell for sure by the end of the month.

Jim, Please consider Monica and I for lobsters, including lobster bisque. I guess this means we will never lose weight. Oh well someone has to do it.........

Walt P

Capt K
06-02-2008, 05:11 AM
2 more boats I meant.

Noel

As soon as the other two boats confirm with Pilot's Point, let me know boat names and body count.

Thanks, all!

K

nyrussell
06-02-2008, 10:23 AM
i shall Capt K

MicroKap
06-02-2008, 11:11 AM
MicroKap will have a total of six. My wife Tracy and myself, Tracy's cousin Jessica (17) and her best friend Sophia (17), and my kids Logan (2 1/2) and Olivia (1 1/2). Unfortunately, I'm the only one that eats lobster or shellfish.

We are expecting to leave bright and early on Friday, July 18th with Walter P and meeting up with Noel. If there are other boats coming fromt he NY harbor area or Sandy Hook Bay region, just let us know and we'll all cruise together.

Any idea what fuel prices are up at Westbrook? Should we fill up here in NJ and just do the round trip heavy in one direction and lighter for the return?

nyrussell
06-02-2008, 11:46 AM
fuel in Ct is not as cheap as here in NJ. so you might want to fill up here and see if you need more in Ct.

Passages
06-02-2008, 11:52 AM
Any idea what fuel prices are up at Westbrook? Should we fill up here in NJ and just do the round trip heavy in one direction and lighter for the return?

$5.15/g at Cedar Island Marina (Next door to Pilots point) yesterday. Usually best to buy fuel in NJ

34Hatt
06-02-2008, 12:46 PM
Well that's better then on the Island Claudio's were I go usally was $5.45 yesterday and Nick said Brewer's was $5.70 I can't believe this Crap :(

Well back to the Party I will be two for sure but might be 3 since the Bird say's he is coming. He is looking into flights but has not booked anything. Jim if he does come just add a few pounds of bird food on the shopping list!!!
Chris does not eat lobster But count me in. Also some chowder or Bisque sounds Good to me!!

I will be there mid day Friday and am looking foward to it!

Capt K
06-02-2008, 07:30 PM
Today's price at Pilot's Point is $5.19. You can check their price before you make final plans by going to www.byy.com and clicking on the Westbrook location.

K

Walter P
06-03-2008, 12:04 AM
Larry & Noel,

Do you guys have a meeting place in mind? We may anchor out at Horseshoe Cove or else tie up overnite at the CG station at Sandy Hook (my boat is a CG Aux facility) if space is available. It will save us about an hour in the morning. Since I have only limited experience with the eastern end of the sound, I have no idea how long of a trip it will be etc...

Walt

nyrussell
06-03-2008, 09:09 AM
I was thinking either at my marina or Liberty Landing... I could probably get a few slips at Lincoln harbor until we all get together. Want me to see?

Noel

MicroKap
06-05-2008, 01:01 PM
I haven't had a chance to plot the trip yet, buy by land (by Mapquest), it's around 160 miles from Monmouth Beach, NJ to Westbrook, CT. Anyway we look at it, it's going to be a long day. It took approximately 10 hours door to door at cruise speed (16 knots) to get to Newport, RI a few years ago (with a lot of fog). That was also in the days of <$2 diesel, burning approx. 60gph. If we "slow cruise" at 1,200 RPMs, we'd do 9.5 knots at 14.2 gph, 1,400 RPMs, we'd do 9.9 knots at 21.4 gph, or if we "cruise" at 1,800 RPMs we'd do 15.0 knots at 43.2 gph, or 2,000 RPMs we'd do 17.2 knots at 53.6 gph. These numbers were published in 1979 boat review, however, the boat has gained a little weight since new and moves a little slower. It's probably a 16 knot boat at 1950 RPM, burning roughly 60 GPH. If, by water, it's approximately 140 miles, it's a 14 hour day at 10 knots, or roughly 9 hours at 15 knots.

I'm the only one in my office that week, so I wouldn't be able to leave until Friday morning. We'd need Thursday after work to provision.

We're also still trying to get my son to sleep in one of the lower bunks, so anchoring out on Thursday night isn't an option at this point. We only need for one bridge to open as long as it's mid-low tide when we leave. Of course, it's the bridge where the tender has a mind of their own. It takes approximately 45 minutes to get to the tip of Sandy Hook from my slip if the bridge tender is paying attention and since it's Friday, the bridge is supposed to open on demand.

I'll be honest, we've never cruised this long with the kids and my wife is getting a little nervous that it may be too long. Any helpful hints for long distance cruising with two little ones would be greatly appreciated. My wife, the Admiral, is excellent crew, but her cousin and friend are complete novices around a boat.

Walt, what time were you thinking of leaving from Sandy Hook? I think Horseshoe Cove is "done". Unless you have no wind or slight wind from the east, you're always rocking and rolling in there. It may be better to anchor behind the Atlantic Highlands breakwater or as you said possibly at the Coast Guard station if space permits.

Noel, thank you for looking into Lincoln Harbor or Liberty Landing, however, as stated above, I don't think I'd be able to get there Thursday night.

What time does the current start running north on the East River that morning (Friday, July 18th), because that really helps going up the east side of Manhattan?

Passages
06-05-2008, 01:53 PM
Larry,

I see your concerns and suggest you not push yourself too hard on Friday. I calculate about 130 nm or so. Still a long run for a day.

Saturday arrival may work better for you. The party won't kick into high gear until after noon and the dinner will be around 4 Saturday.

MicroKap
06-05-2008, 02:48 PM
What about the straight return on Sunday? I still have to be at work on Monday. I would have to "move the boat" each day of a three day weekend. We'll do a few "overnighters" with the kids prior to the trip, but my main thing is that the kids have to be able to take a nap or the rest of us will be paying for it. I'm sure we'll figure out something.

nyrussell
06-05-2008, 03:32 PM
Larry,

It took us 14 hours from Block home... Long day and the kid slept alot but tiring too. If needed you can use my slip for friday too.

I will look at the rest soon.

Floor is almost in. Damn weather!!

Noel

MicroKap
06-05-2008, 05:05 PM
Noel,
Have you had a chance to look at the distance/plot the course for Westbrook? What speed do you cruise at? Lincoln Harbor is only about 2 hours (including the slow no wake area by me), so it wouldn't save me that much time, but thank you very much for the offer. If I was to stay anywere Friday night, it would probably be somewhere on the Sound. My problem would be the trip back on Sunday.

Capt K
06-05-2008, 08:10 PM
Larry, you could get into The Sound and either stay at Capri Marina or go a little farther and move over the the Ct side and stay in Stamford.

I understand the kid thing is the big variable trying to cruise at a slower speed. Hopefully the slower pace will mellow out the entire crew. As long as the weather and seas cooperate, this should be the case.

Good luck and we're looking forward to seeing the group arrive!

K

nyrussell
06-05-2008, 11:12 PM
Larry,

As for the kids, we are almost in the same grup (one kid versus 2) and are traveling with two friends in their 60's (or more) I believe. I have not had a chance to see the chart yet, but I figure to cruise around 12-1300 rpm (8-10 knots depending) and enjoying the ride out. Only hassle last year was the bloody pots across the whole sound. Floor etc..., took out the budget for the line cutters (not that they will cut cable but I'd be screwed then anyway. I figure 8-9 hours out. Also, i am stopping at Glen Cove on Sunday so use our slip if need be Sunday Night as well.

Nick will be checking with his SO about the trip and I will let Kay know again this weekend.

Will be looking at the charts after the 25th heavily when I install the trial version of the captain for the trip.... Now where did the driver disk for the gps go....

Oh, we both eat lobster and the munchkin eats off our plates still.

Noel

Walter P
06-05-2008, 11:55 PM
Well guys in my case it doesn't much matter departure/return times... We are flexible and mostly retired. Whatever is best for you guys will be fine with us. Keep in mind that we have at least 14 hrs plus of daylight that time of the year. My only concern is if we have crummy weather it may take a little longer but whatever it takes is OK. I doubt that it will require 14 hrs.

Walt

P.S. Noel 60 is really not so old....lol

nyrussell
06-06-2008, 12:05 AM
Walt,

How did the operation go.... And i know that but it is older than me and therfor can be considered old by some. Also i am not sure of all health conditions yet... But will find out soon. As for this trip... This is the man who introduced me to sailing and my love of boats.

Noel

Walter P
06-06-2008, 12:20 AM
Hey Noel,

Waiting for scedule date for procedure.

Just kidding about the 60 thing....hell, I'm 70 +.

We hope to cruise at about 9 - 9 1/2 K. I'll dig out some charts and try to figure approx travel time. I will conform to whatever you and Larry decide however. Monica and I may decide to stay out there for a couple of extra days and return tues or wed. We can talk about it soon....

Walt

nyrussell
06-06-2008, 07:49 AM
Well hell Walt. Need to make it to the rendezvous... as for the schedule, Larry seems to be thinking 2 days in, I am sure a long day on the water will be fine. But then again, last time we did one the kid only ate and pooped for the most part, now...

If i have time, I will pull out the chart rograms i ave stored on the boat somewhere and install them again. BTW, Sunday i will be making the final cuts to the teak block, if not tomorrow, to fit around the door. Then sand and varnish (like 8-10 coats). The cuts will have some tye of foam weather sealant on them so...

Talk to ya soon.

Noel

34Hatt
06-09-2008, 08:48 AM
Well I got 84 NM from N"2" off of Liberty Island You know that big Green Lady!!! To Westbrook.

Passages
06-18-2008, 12:05 AM
OK guys & gals, a month to go for the NE HOF Get together.

I need to get a fairly accurate head count and menu selections.

I assume everyone will want Chowder, corn & potatos.

Optional stuff includes:
Lobster Bisque
Dozen Cherrystones (Hard shell clams for you out-of-towners)
Dozen Steamers (soft shell clams)
Whole Lobster.

I'd like each Captain to reply below with a headcount (Adult or Child) and number of optional menu items desired.

(Example)
Passages
2 Adults, 2 Kids
2 Lobster Bisque
2 Dozen Cherrystones
1 Dozen steamers
4 Lobsters

As we get closer I'll give an update on market prices. I don't need to collect money until noon Saturday of the party.

nyrussell
06-24-2008, 11:42 AM
Okay buddy here I go:

4 adults, 1 kid (21 months or so)
4 Lobsters
2 dozen steamers
2 chowders

Also, set up a bin to get the lobster shells so we can use them later as well :D

Noel

Capt K
06-24-2008, 08:49 PM
Oh yeah Jim, in addition to what I pm'd you, a couple of lobster bisques and a couple of chowdas!

Capt K

nyrussell
06-26-2008, 10:18 AM
Ok Guys,

Been talking a bit to Walt (thanks for everything BTW) and we were discussing dinner for Friday night. I mentioned getting a full NY Strip and cutting it up but need a head count as well for that night. Walt mentioned some shrimp... BTW, can we use the grills on the boats or do we need to bring charcoal?

Noel

Capt K
06-26-2008, 07:53 PM
technically, no grilling onboard. We will have a pretty good supply of gas grills from the marina.

K

Passages
06-26-2008, 09:23 PM
Reminder, I need headcount & menu selections.

Throw me some numbers so I can start planning. You can change your mind up to a few days before the party.

Also, I need someone to raise their hand for a bringing a big toss salad. Anyone?

Capt K or Dave, I have a 20 lb bottle of propane. Can you dig up one or 2 more?

I've got seafood, chowder & bisque, plastic utensils & table cloths, napkins, sodas & ice.
Dan has potatos, corn and deep cookers.
Bird has the Goose. (Which he must surrender upon arrival)

Walter P
06-26-2008, 10:39 PM
Jim:

As you know Monica & I will have Randy (The Bird) with us and I don't know what he will want to eat. I'll call him and let you know.

We will probably have one more person with us. Bobk (Bob Kassal) will let me know by the end of next week.

You all may or may not know but Bob's lovely wife of 50 years passed away over the weekend. Monica & I will be attending the services tomorrow (Friday) in Wilmington, Del. I think it would be good for Bob to keep busy with people and you all have read his posts. Barbara was a special person and we were fortunate to have become friends with her. She will be missed.

As of now Monica & I will be in for 2 lobster bisque, 1 steamers & 2 lobsters.

As stated revisions will follow.

Walt

Capt K
06-27-2008, 05:16 AM
Reminder, I need headcount & menu selections.

Bird has the Goose. (Which he must surrender upon arrival)

How many kegs of Goose is he bringing? :)

nyrussell
06-27-2008, 06:53 AM
We will have a 20# bottle of propane with us as well. Well, not exactly 20# but....

Nick
06-27-2008, 08:26 AM
Jim,

I'll check with my crew and dockmates and let you know. I sent you a PM with the total numbers, sort of like IRS sending the letter to tell you they are sending you a check!

Nick

34Hatt
06-27-2008, 08:51 AM
O.K I am working on the list also as Jim knows per email. I am taking care of some Hatteras people who are very Internet challenged.
So I am bringing the cookers and pots, Jim also asked for L.I corn and potatoes so I said I can put my best man NICK on that one " hint".

Also as for the Goose Jim and I heard that Randy is bring a bottle for everyone that was at last years, to make up for blowing us off and going for his boat ride instead :) What a guy he is all right!!!

Walt sorry to hear that about Bob's wife send our best and I hope he take's you up on your offer. We will definitely entertain him :)

Nick
06-27-2008, 10:25 AM
Thanks Dan! I have been trying to lighten up the boat! Now I'll have to carry 50lbs of corn and 50lbs of LI Potatoes.

Capt K
06-27-2008, 08:14 PM
Also as for the Goose Jim and I heard that Randy is bring a bottle for everyone that was at last years, to make up for blowing us off and going for his boat ride instead :) What a guy he is all right!

Remember that they made me move my vessel last year (only boat that had to move), so I should count as two, shouldn't I?

Capt K

Capt K
06-27-2008, 08:18 PM
OK, I spoke with the Dockmistress and she said we have two grills already. I asked for two more. Will this work?

By the way, I bumped into the Hatterass crew at a local restaurant tonight and Dave assured me that his BETTER HALF would be sure to bring the special coffee machine so we could have special coffees and martinis. For those of you who don't know, Dave and his wife are the specialty coffee experts in the Northeast!

Depending upon who finally shows up, they are shooting for the longest distance award. Wish them luck!!

Capt K

Nick
06-27-2008, 09:48 PM
Hey K!

The only reason you were told to move is so that I could get a ride on a 50ft Hatteras!

Can we do it it again?

Thanks!

nyrussell
06-28-2008, 12:17 AM
ok, we have 87.0 nm from here by garmin. Walt adds to that.

Noel

BTW, no answers about friday night?

Passages
06-28-2008, 08:48 AM
Re: Friday Night - Capt K has the latest boat count and can answer who will be around, I suspect the Long Islanders will be making the trip Saturday morning.

The Admiral & I can be there Friday night.

Capt K
06-28-2008, 08:58 PM
I don't have the break down for who is coming for what nights, but I will get the info. Either way, we'll have plenty to do both nights. I confirmed today that we'll have four propane grills with full tanks. We'll also have umbrellas, etc available if needed due to sun or rain.

You're gonna love this place this year!

K

34Hatt
06-30-2008, 08:52 AM
Noel

BTW, no answers about friday night?

Well been out Boating ;)

I am coming Friday by noon I know Nick and Bob " Magic Hat "are coming around that time. Bruce I am not sure and Mark said Saturday morning. O.K Mark is Ct but I still knew that :)

I am game for anything on Friday!!!

Dan

Nick
06-30-2008, 09:54 AM
I am coming Friday and I have 6 on board. I hope to leave by mid morning and I can join up with Dan. I am traveling with "Jonelle" from our marina (John and Lucille). Bruce and I will probably meet up near the Gut, ?? and come across together. We have no plans for Friday pm/night.

Jim, I am getting our food preferences together today and will send you a note.

Nick

Nick
06-30-2008, 09:35 PM
Jim,

Check your email for our preferences

Nick

Walter P
06-30-2008, 10:42 PM
Noel, Your suggestion for Friday nite is great with us. Let me know how much $ each.

Jim, as of this afternoon my boat will have 4 of us on board. Monica & I plus Randy (the Bird) and Bob Kassal.

Walt

nyrussell
06-30-2008, 11:28 PM
Alright, need a count for friday night then. Also, what else might be on the menu...

Noel

Capt K
07-01-2008, 05:07 AM
Setting up something for Friday night should be no problem. The pavilion that we have for Sat is being used but right at the top of the dock is a picnic area and the marina club house. THere is even a deck on top of the clubhouse.

This is all within easy staggering, I mean walking, distance to the dock where y'all will be.

K

nyrussell
07-01-2008, 09:27 AM
Stagger? i do stagger a bit at times... LOL

Noel

MicroKap
07-01-2008, 10:31 AM
Well, aside from the concern for the time to travel with two young children, these thunder storms have eaten away at my fuel budget for the year. I've had to have a number of trees removed because of these annoying storms that we seem to be having on a weekly basis. We've already had 5 trees cut down, 4 trimmed and 1 cabled in four spots so that we don't take any chances with them falling on our house. We've been noticing a lot of debris after each storm and it seemed to be the wisest preventative move.

Unfortunately, it cost a few boat bucks, part of my fuel budget for the season. The thought of using at least 400-500 gallons for the weekend for the NE Rendezvous cruising at 9-10 knots is not looking promising. We would love to be there and it's been a really hard decision to make since we were really looking forward to it. We're really sorry to have to bail on this as we were looking forward to coming and meeting you all. I know it will be a fun time, however, we have to send our regrets at this time. I will call Pilot's Point Marina to cancel my reservation today and possibly make some room for someone else that may have wanted to attend.

We're sorry if this has caused any inconvenience to anyone and wish you all sunny days, calm seas and a lot of Hatteras Owners comradarie.

Passages
07-01-2008, 11:57 AM
Larry, you are still welcome to drive up for the day.

34Hatt
07-01-2008, 03:17 PM
Larry, you are still welcome to drive up for the day.
Or come and rent a room for a night That is what Scrod is hoping to do also. Maybe he can help with a Hotel near by. Or Kevin may also know I am sure!

Passages
07-01-2008, 05:10 PM
Waters Edge in Westbrook would be my choice for lodging. I think they are $180 a night but they sometimes have weekend specials.

http://www.watersedge-resort.com/

Boatsb
07-01-2008, 05:28 PM
Larry If you can drive up do it. I was able to get to NY for the one last year and my son had the greatest time with the other kids. He was 8 at the time. I saw something far better that I expected because all the kids go together and had a blast regardless of age and they all watched over each other. The group of them actually wanted to keep playing when I had to leave and they were all so well behaved. Do this for your kids. Be a good parent. Also as a bonus have some food and drinks with other hatt owners.

I wish I could make it up there again this year but to all ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!

nyrussell
07-01-2008, 09:54 PM
Larry,

We drove out last year as well. had a great time too.

Noel

Nick
07-01-2008, 10:59 PM
Larry If you can drive up do it. I was able to get to NY for the one last year and my son had the greatest time with the other kids. He was 8 at the time. I saw something far better that I expected because all the kids go together and had a blast regardless of age and they all watched over each other. The group of them actually wanted to keep playing when I had to leave and they were all so well behaved. Do this for your kids. Be a good parent. Also as a bonus have some food and drinks with other hatt owners.

I wish I could make it up there again this year but to all ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ditto

Nick

Nick
07-01-2008, 11:02 PM
Hey Scott,

Don't you need to visit ..... what was it sister or brother or cousin- inlaws!

It was a true pleasure to have you and your son visit!!!!!

Capt K
07-02-2008, 07:41 AM
Another nice place to stay is Saybrook Point Inn and Spa which is right on the Connecticut River and not too far away from us by car.

Sorry to hear you won't be cruising Larry, but I can certainly understand why.

K

Passages
07-07-2008, 08:54 AM
OK campers, less than 2 weeks to go and so far only a few have submitted their headcount & food orders.

I'm budgeting a base donation of $10 per person (kids under 12 free) this includes soda, ice, plasticware, toss salad, corn, potatos, clam chowder.

Optional menu items include:

1 1/4 lb lobster - $14
Larger lobster - $12 per pound
Steamers - $6/lb (about 14 clams)
Cherrystones - $5/lb (about a dozen)
Lobster Bisque - $5 per person (Atalntic seafood makes it lots better than I could)

If you haven't already, please shoot me a message with your preferences

Nick
07-07-2008, 10:35 AM
Hi Jim,

I emailed our preferences to you for "Ocean K'Motion and "Jonelle" last week. Let me know that you received it. Getaway is not sure they can make it and will get back to me very soon.

Thanks!

34Hatt
07-08-2008, 12:20 PM
Jim
Sent you a PM should help fill you a few more blanks.
Also Glory B is Bruce you know your Cab driver ;) and he is coming!
Getaway is Jeff and Theresa from Sterling Harbour and Nick is not sure about them as of his last post!

Capt K
07-08-2008, 06:42 PM
Wow! It's kinda nice to see the entire list of boat together. Jim, if you can score a boat before the rendezvous, we can have an even number.............

Just thinkin'.:)

K

Capt K
07-08-2008, 07:15 PM
For any vessels that have non-seafood crew onboard, there will be grills available to bring your own burgers, dogs, steak, etc. Feel free to bring up whatever you want.

K

Nick
07-08-2008, 10:28 PM
Hi Jim!

"Getaway" is the 28 Bertram owned by Jeff and Thersa Bubb. Jeff set us up last year at the marina in Greenport. He is the manager of the seasonal and transient slip rentals at the Brewer's yards on this side of the Sound and he found a spot for us all. He may join us Sat pm.

Glory B... is aka John Galt is Bruce and Laura with kids, the 41 Hat. He and I will likely cruise together with Dan and Jonelle Friday pm.

Nick

Nick
07-09-2008, 08:04 AM
Jim,

Just sent you a PM.

Nick

nyrussell
07-10-2008, 10:25 AM
Okay, need to go shopping this weekend for the steaks for Friday night. Anyone else besides Walter crew and our in? Also, who is going to bring what for fixings?

Noel

34Hatt
07-11-2008, 08:38 AM
Okay, need to go shopping this weekend for the steaks for Friday night. Anyone else besides Walter crew and our in? Also, who is going to bring what for fixings?

Noel

Noel thanks for the offer of getting steaks but we will bring something for ourselves to BBQ but will bring a side dish to share with all.

I think that may work the easiest If anyone wants to get together. I am planning on bringing a appetizer for both days to share and a side dish Friday to share.

Also Bob & Barbara from Magic Hat will also be doing the same.

nyrussell
07-11-2008, 09:11 AM
Works for me. Not sure et about what we might bring, thinking of Goulash Soup (learned in Germany), or Grilled veggies.... Will decide manana.

Noel

nyrussell
07-11-2008, 10:22 AM
Okay Guys, All I ask is that we save the lobster shells :D

Noel

Nick
07-11-2008, 10:58 AM
Noel

We are planning to bring our dinner for Friday also. I appreciate your offer.

We will have side dishes on board and are happy to share.

See you next week!

Nick

MicroKap
07-11-2008, 11:00 AM
Passages,
I know Salt Shaker won't be going because his wife has a continuing education exam that weekend, so I believe you can take him off the list. I'll see him tonight or tomorrow and will have him confirm that this is correct.

I won't be coming up, but I wish you all calm seas and a great time. I guess now I have to go to my 20th year high school reunion.

nyrussell
07-11-2008, 11:30 AM
Larry,

Need to take the boat or no reunion LOL

Noel

MicroKap
07-11-2008, 11:40 AM
Noel,
We'll catch up soon enough. A weekend trip to Lincoln Harbor may be nice for a change.

nyrussell
07-11-2008, 11:47 AM
Larry,

We might be heading to Walt's Marina for the Admirals B-day too

Noel

Nick
07-11-2008, 01:40 PM
Jim,

I sent you an email and pm regarding Getaway.

34Hatt
07-11-2008, 04:25 PM
Jim

I too sent Magic hat it was part of my email and as of this morning he was on the list!!!!!!!

He is in for 2 people No shellfish!!!!

Are you cranking under the pressure ;)

Yup just went back and checked this mornings pdf Magic Hat was there :)

Passages
07-12-2008, 10:34 PM
The order has been placed with Atlantic Seafood in Westbrook. The owner knocked $1 off the price per serving for chowder & lobster bisque.

Unfortunately, that bit of good fortune is offset by my need to raise the price of the base dinner to $12 per adult. The stuff added up to a bit more than my original estimate.

Please see below for your order and revised donation. If you'd like to adjust your selection - no problem, just let me know.

nyrussell
07-12-2008, 11:10 PM
ummmm, the fuel cost discussion is on another thread!!!!!

Passages you are awesome.

Noel

hatterass
07-14-2008, 08:16 AM
Jim,
I heard that you were looking for me. I have have sent you a PM but will post here to. We have 2 people attending for food. if you need anything else let me know.
Dave

Passages
07-14-2008, 11:16 AM
Guys & Gals,

I've heard from everyone now and the latest list is below. If you want to adjust your order, just ask.

Couple final details -

DONATIONS TO FOOD FUND - I'll need money by 1:00 Saturday. Seafood shop prefers cash, so greenbacks are greatly appreciated.

PRE-DINNER SNACK FOODs - Just like last year, please try to bring a dish of something to share. We'll set up the snack table early afternoon.

NON-SHELLFISH EATERS- The pavillion will have a few grills so feel free to bring your own meats or whatever. Also, we'll have 3 kettles for cooking. One dedicated to Corn & Potatos ONLY and 2 for seafood ONLY. (Shellfish allergies are serious folks)

LOBSTER EATERS - Please bring your own nut crackers or you will have to use plyers from your toolbox.

DINNER TIME - Will be around 5:00

BOOZE - BYOB

CARS & SHUTTLES- We'll have a few cars & trucks to shuttle people & stuff around.

See you this weekend -

Capt K
07-14-2008, 08:14 PM
The docks and the pavillion are a little far apart, so I will have a pickup truck available to load up stuff and people to transport back and forth. I guess we'll eventually need a designated driver....good thing there will be kids around!

Speaking of kids, the new pirate ship/playground is right next to our pavillion which is right next to the pool. This is an awesome area!

K

Nick
07-14-2008, 08:45 PM
Where is the adults playground?????

Jeff and Theresa on the Getaway are coming Sat pm; no special dinner needed!!!

See you Friday!!!

Capt K
07-14-2008, 09:35 PM
It's ALL an adult playground!!

Passages
07-16-2008, 08:39 AM
Spoke to the guys from SAMS Marine and they will be shipping some "Special Stuff" for the party.

I also had a request to change a pound and a quarter lobster for a "Big Daddy" lobster. (4 pounds or more) If anyone else wants a BIG DADDY, just let me know. Price per pound is usually a bit cheaper than 1-1/4's and a 5 pounder will feed 2-4 depending on appetites.

34Hatt
07-16-2008, 08:53 AM
Spoke to the guys from SAMS Marine and they will be shipping some "Special Stuff" for the party.

I also had a request to change a pound and a quarter lobster for a "Big Daddy" lobster. (4 pounds or more) If anyone else wants a BIG DADDY, just let me know. Price per pound is usually a bit cheaper than 1-1/4's and a 5 pounder will feed 2-4 depending on appetites.

Was that Randy Seagulls always like Seafood :)

So the Bird should hopefully getting out on Standby Early tomorrow morning as of yesterday he said plane was pretty empty ;)

Boatsb
07-16-2008, 09:25 AM
I expect pictures being posted during the party. Don,t disappoint the ones who can not attend.

34Hatt
07-16-2008, 09:38 AM
I expect pictures being posted during the party. Don,t disappoint the ones who can not attend.

Well did you send your bottle of Goose you still have time to Fedex it overnight ;)

Boatsb
07-16-2008, 10:03 AM
Its almost empty so I know it will be safe to ship.. Hazmat issues. I should be able to finish the emptying process by 7 tonight.

Walter P
07-16-2008, 10:46 PM
Randy called me about a half hr ago and will be on early AM flight from Tenn to NJ. I will pick him up at Newark and go to the boat. Bobk (Kassal) will be arriving at the boat around noon. We will get the boat ready and put everything away for the trip.

We were going to overnight Thursday at the Sandy Hook Coast Guard Station, (we had permission from the Commanding Officer, since we are members of the CG Aux) but we decided not to since once we're there there's not much to do. Another problem is that the slip we were going to use is for a 110' cutter (Bainbridge Island) and the electric hookup is 440 V. Oh well, we'll stay at our marina and leave an hour and a half earlier. We plan to meet Noel Russel somewhere between the Statue of Liberty and Lower Manhatten around 8 AM and cruise up the East River, under the Brooklyn Bridge then past the UN building and through Hells Gate into the L.I. Sound and on to Conn for the party.

Now you all probably see my reasoning for inviting Bob and Randy along..... Where else can you get help with experienced Hatteras skippers for free. I plan to take plenty of pictures, I hope someone can post them as I am barely computer literate enough to post words.

Walt

We hope to have a good time.....after all isn't this what it's all about?

nyrussell
07-17-2008, 07:53 AM
Walter,

Will call you later today. Have a great trip and can't wait to see All Ya'all.

Noel

34Hatt
07-17-2008, 08:24 AM
Walter good plan there and work Randy hard you know he is trying to lose weight ;) Plus he does have great experience going hull speed thru rivers and currents he should prove to be a great help.

No problems with the pictures I can post them for you.

Guys have a Great trip weather looks Perfect!!!
Noel call me when your getting close.

See you tomorrow Dan

Nick
07-17-2008, 10:13 AM
Have a great trip!

See you Friday!

Boatsb
07-17-2008, 10:17 AM
Walter remember to shut down an engine if Randy is at the helm. We don't want him spoiled.

I spoke to him yesterday and he is looking forward to the event. Wish I was able to make it this year. Last year was a blast.

Passages
07-17-2008, 10:23 AM
It's gonna be a blast. This will be my third HOF Get-together. (Greenport, Miami & Westbrook)

Perfect weather, good turnout and the 'Bird.

34Hatt
07-17-2008, 12:01 PM
Just talked to Randy he is with Walter had a good flight! Was in at 6:45 am this Morning. So I told him to Rest up he is going to need it!!!

nyrussell
07-17-2008, 02:45 PM
Hey Walter,

Just picked up the 109 so Ribeye Steaks it is. :D and for Saturday braised red cabbage too. See you on channel 16 in the am. Tides look good at hells gate for a push and then slack. Ebb is a bit later but i didn't hunt the tide for LI Sound. I just looked at Hells Gate.

Noel, Yukari, Erin, Mark & Holly

34Hatt
07-17-2008, 04:11 PM
Hey Walter,

Just picked up the 109 so Ribeye Steaks it is. :D and for Saturday braised red cabbage too. See you on channel 16 in the am. Tides look good at hells gate for a push and then slack. Ebb is a bit later but i didn't hunt the tide for LI Sound. I just looked at Hells Gate.

Noel, Yukari, Erin, Mark & Holly

I really hope your not useing 16 hailing is channel 9 ;)

Boatsb
07-17-2008, 04:36 PM
FYI. Channel 16 is commonly monitored by most of us in the Port Canaveral area and used as a primary hailing channel. We have cruise ships and commercial traffic to be alerted to so that we can maintain the required minimum distances for security. Channel 9 is not monitored by as many boaters for emergency and safety problems.

Here is the cheat sheet that I usually go by. It may vary in different areas as commercial and cruise traffic is not present everywhere. Your mileage may Vary. Batteries not included. Some assembly required.

VHF CHANNELS

Channel 16: for hailing, safety and emergency use only.

Channel 9: pleasure-boat hailing channel.

Channels 68, 69, 71, 72 and 78A: recreational working channels.

Channels 1, 7A, 8, 10, 11, 18A, 19A, 63, 77, 79A, 80A and 88A: commercial channels (pleasure boaters are supposed to stay off them).

Channel 13: for requesting bridge openings, although in some areas it's channel 67.

Channels 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 84, 85, 86 and 87: used by marine operators.

Channel 22: Coast Guard working channel, the one where safety broadcasts are made after they alert you on channel 16 and ask you to switch over.

Channel 6: for intership safety communications.

Channels 1, 5, 12, 14, 20, 63, 65A, 66A, 73, 74 and 77: for port operations. (Many of these are used by recreational boats in areas where no port operations exist.)

Channel 70: a dedicated Digital Selective Calling (DSC) channel. DSC is an automated distress system that will also allow us to make digital phone calls through our VHFs sometime in the near future.

nyrussell
07-17-2008, 04:57 PM
Ch 16 can be used to hail and switch to another channel. It cannot be used to chat. As for the other channel I listen to: ch 13 here in NY Harbor. So i will hail and switch in a few seconds to another channel up or down.

Noel

Boatsb
07-17-2008, 06:45 PM
Noel keep your ears on for the Birdman. word is he is aboard some vessel crossing the mason Dixon line.

Capt K
07-17-2008, 08:48 PM
OK,campers. I was with the Dockmistress today and we are all set! I gave Nick the secret approach coordinates so his group is good to go. Noel, you and your crew get a pass on the tough stuff due to distance. Have a great cruise!

I think the longest distance award will probably go to Hatterass. We'll discuss that with Dave if he makes it.

Skamm Too will, hopefully, be on the air by mid-day. We will monitor 16/9. Nick and his group will be on 68 if it is quiet enough. The marina will answer on 9 and switch you to 11.

Bring it on guys and girls!!

K

Passages
07-17-2008, 10:00 PM
Wait, you mean the party is THIS weekend?

My bad, guess I won't be able to make it.

I just crack myself up sometimes - see you tomorrow.

Capt K
07-18-2008, 05:08 AM
That's ok, Jim.

Oh by the way, is it ok if I give your address to the group in case anyone wanted to stop by and say "hi"?

BUSTER
07-18-2008, 09:41 AM
Ch 16 can be used to hail and switch to another channel. It cannot be used to chat. As for the other channel I listen to: ch 13 here in NY Harbor. So i will hail and switch in a few seconds to another channel up or down.

Noel

Channel 13 is the must listen to,security channel for ship traffic in the fog. Long before I ever had radar I depended on it for my personal safety in fog.
Tony

Capt K
07-21-2008, 05:11 AM
Well, the 2008 NE Rendezvous has come and gone. Great weather and great friends. Really great job on the food from Jim!

Thanks to all who attended. It was great fun!

Capt K

hatterass
07-21-2008, 07:56 AM
Very nice time had by all. It was nice to see everybody that came and traveled so far. Jim did an excellent job on the food and went so far as to procure some fresh eggs for breakfast. I am still ringing out my liver but look froward to next years event. I think we discusses a black tie affair? hope everyone got home safe. I know I had to pull out my charts to find my way.
Dave

Passages
07-21-2008, 08:12 AM
Thanks Guys,

It was a great time. We have a good bunch of folks on this forum. It's nice to put screen names with faces.

Freebird was our "special" guest. He hitched a ride with Walter P aboard Guppy and provided his own brand of humor to the mix.

Special thanks to Doug and the crew of Deep River for the shirts & drink coolers, they were a hit. Finally a thanks to SAM's Marine for hosting this site without which, none of this would have been possible.

So, is it too early to start taking polls for the 2009 NE HOF Get together?

34Hatt
07-21-2008, 09:10 AM
Ok first Kevin it has not stop yet since Mark and I are still here ;)

Many thanks to Jim "Passages" he did a great job trying to have many choices for everyone. And that is no easy Job :)

Many thanks to Doug and crew since it would never had happened with them!!! And for the gifts!!

Mark and I think we found another 34SC to come next year already!

Yes and the Big Bird came too I think Chris " my other half" was the most Surprised that he really did come out of everyone!!

It was nice meeting a few more members and great to see all the others again!

I have some pictures of the party will post when I get home which will be another day or two ;)

Did someone get pictures of all the boats?????

Avenger
07-21-2008, 09:20 AM
We've managed to recover from our trip too, although that hotel bill may take longer to get over. I'll probably have a relapse when the CC bill shows up. :rolleyes: I'm still doing the math, but I think the diesel fuel would have been cheaper. :eek:

It was worth the effort though. It was good to see the HOF'ers again, and meet some new ones. The wife and kid had a great time too. Thanks to all who particiated, especially Jim and the cooking crew who did a super job. Thanks also to SAM's for everything. My only regret was that we weren't able to spend more time with everybody.

nyrussell
07-21-2008, 10:13 AM
Hey Guys,

We had a great time and got home safe. Left Walter and crew at the tip of the battery yesterday and he looked great heading for the Verrazano Bridge. We hit some chop etc but it was a great ride out and back. For some reason we burned 10 gallons more fuel with a slightly lighter load on the way back and throttled down 100 rpm (approx). Need to get the head around that too.

As for the event. You HOF'ers wiped my kid out. Thanks. Jim, the food was superb. finally finished the lobster we took back to the boat. As for Sam's thanks for the presents (next year can we get a 40' DCMY shirt? LOLOLOL), I love the shirts! As for Brewers Pilots point, Thanks again! we had a great time.

Numbers for us:
to Westbrook, 65 gallons @ 1850 rpm / 9.5 hours
from Westbrook 75 gallons @ 1750 rpm /9 hours
Total gph 7.57
Distance 172 miles
miles per gallon 1.23

Will calculate avg cost of our fuel later today too (sorry for you guys in CT and NY also)

Noel

nyrussell
07-21-2008, 10:19 AM
Hey Guys,

We had a great time and got home safe. Left Walter and crew at the tip of the battery yesterday and he looked great heading for the Verrazano Bridge. We hit some chop etc but it was a great ride out and back. For some reason we burned 10 gallons more fuel with a slightly lighter load on the way back and throttled down 100 rpm (approx). Need to get the head around that too.

As for the event. You HOF'ers wiped my kid out. Thanks. Jim, the food was superb. finally finished the lobster we took back to the boat. As for Sam's thanks for the presents (next year can we get a 40' DCMY shirt? LOLOLOL), I love the shirts! As for Brewers Pilots point, Thanks again! we had a great time.

Numbers for us:
to Westbrook, 65 gallons @ 1850 rpm / 9.5 hours
from Westbrook 75 gallons @ 1750 rpm /9 hours
Total gph 7.57
Distance 172 miles
miles per gallon 1.23

Will calculate avg cost of our fuel later today too (sorry for you guys in CT and NY also)

Noel

johngalt
07-21-2008, 02:43 PM
Yes it was a great weekend wasn't it ? The weather could not have been better , it is summer after all , so 90 + degrees and humid is about right . Jim did a fabulous job with the food and all the fresh eggs for breakfast was a real bonus. As usual it was a great pleasure to see all the wonderful people we talk with here at the site . Thanks Mark ,for the compliment about the children , but the truth be told they really are a great bunch of kids and I think that says something about the parents as well . Thanks also to Brewers and Capt. K for the special arrangements for us all . It sure was nice having all ,or nearly all , the boats together in one area. Thanks as well to the breakfast chef/late night bartender Nick and to all who helped Jim with the meal

johngalt
07-21-2008, 02:51 PM
For some reason that got posted before I was through. I was in the process of thanking Dan and Christine for their hard work with Jim re: the meal . Now , I keep reading about the gifts that were provided by Sam's , what were they? I never saw any . I also have some pics of the party and one or two of the boats ,but as I never have been able to downsize and post them to the site perhaps I can email them to Dan and he can post them . What do you say , Dan? Bruce

Boatsb
07-22-2008, 08:10 AM
Pictures seem to be missing from the posts. Has anyone else noticed this? last year the pictures were up during the party. I also think Randy behaved better last year too.

Capt K
07-22-2008, 12:46 PM
Pictures seem to be missing from the posts. Has anyone else noticed this? last year the pictures were up during the party. I also think Randy behaved better last year too.

Yeah Scott. This year our photo guru did not show up and the rest were in no condition to run machinery such as computers, etc.

Sorry you missed it this year. Keep most of next year open!

K

Nick
07-22-2008, 01:28 PM
We took an extra day to recover dockside at our home port. My niece had a slip/fall and what turned out to be a minor injury on the way home.

Thanks to Capt K, Dave and Jim for hosting our rendezvous and to all who helped set up, cook and serve and watch my daughter and niece poolside (Bruce). I learned how to cook a frittata (sp?) on the Bar-B-que thanks to Laura and I am better at home fries with Capt'K's help. I also learned not to reach into the cooler late at night and grab ANY juice for vodka drinks. Hi C doesn't cut it! The bird traveled from far away and it was great to spend time with him live this year!

Our family enjoyed the company; we are fortunate to have a friendly group of folks through Sam's.

Next year?

nyrussell
07-22-2008, 02:39 PM
Nick,

Hope your niece is okay and we wish her well. Now watch how you are driving so she doesn't fall.

As for next year.... YES

Noel

Capt K
07-22-2008, 03:13 PM
Hey Nick, sorry to hear about your niece. I hope she heals fast.

That will teach you, though. You said you would not be going back at 24 knots again.

Keep it slower out there.

Now I have to go grill some more taters!

K