PDA

View Full Version : Guide Cleat Sizing

david_lavigne2540
10-15-2007, 03:00 PM
Ok, after I get the pilings installed, then or before, it'll be time to put the storm ropes on the Yatch.

However, the "Guide Cleats" that I have in my opinion aren't big enough.
Attached are pictures showing a 1/2" line going through them. My storm lines are 1". Leaving no room for anything else but that one line.

The L shaped one is on the bow, and the pointy type is on the stern.

So, what would ya'll recommend as replacements?

Also, the Stern cleat is below the fiberglass edge, How have ya'll handled that to keep the line from rubbing?

#9Hatteras41
10-15-2007, 03:14 PM
size boat?

yachtsmanbill
10-15-2007, 03:48 PM
These are OEM from the '74 58'. The lines are either 3/4 or 7/8. The boat did come with a new set of Panamal canal lines tho. Whatever you do, if you upgrade, make sure you bolt them through. ;-) ws

Fanfare
10-15-2007, 04:21 PM
Sams has some great 10 in. bow chocks (that's what you need rather than cleats) which I installed about three years ago. Bigger than original, and stainless steel, so no wearing off of the chrome plate with time. There is also more "cross-over" or overlap on top of the chock so lines are less likely to jump out than the originals. The edges are not as sharp, so less anchor line wear. See Sams catalog, part nos. 78044 and 45. Make sure you install big backing plates underneath.

I looked for several years to obtain satisfactory replacements. Afraid I would have to have custom fabricated for many $$$. Sams came through again!

Mine have held up beautifully so far.

Pascal
10-15-2007, 04:42 PM
for those of us in storm prone areas, if' you're going to replace the bow chocks, wouldn't it make more sense to replace them with cleats as this woudl eliminate one chaffing spot ?

just wondering...

Boatsb
10-15-2007, 05:09 PM
Not always. The forces on the chocks and the cleats are different and replacing chocks with cleats for storm tying may require a bit of additional reinforcement.

that being said for all us in the stormy side of Florida it may make sense to reinforce it all anyway just to be safe.

My fear is if a storm comes through the searay across the way may come loose and hit my boat thereby sinking in front and blocking me in.

Boss Lady
10-15-2007, 09:34 PM
Another thing to look at is your lines. I see people putting old fire hose over their lines at chafe points. This is a big no no during heavy storm loads since fire hose is water proof and the lines will be kept dry and heat up. You actually want the rain water to keep the lines cool. If you do add something over your lines, make sure it is permeable to water.