PDA

View Full Version : Bleeding Hydraulic Steering

jerseyboy
09-05-2007, 11:25 AM
My recently purchased, '67 34ft DCMY had the Crowell Steering converted to Hynautic in the early 90's (parts purchased from IMO Industries, Sarasota and installed by a local Marina). The steering is sloppy and I'd like to try to bleed the system myself. I have the original owners manual that explains how to bleed the old Crowell system but no instructions on the Hynautic. I found an old phone number for IMO but got a Real Estate office instead so who knows where they are now. Can anyone out there give me some advice as to how to bleed this system. Thanks

questover
09-05-2007, 12:17 PM
I have a 1987 Hynautic system on my boat. There is an allen screw on the side of each control lever. Back that screw out till you get fluid instead of air.

RUSS

jerseyboy
09-05-2007, 12:29 PM
Thanks Russ. I haven't looked yet, but is the allen screw you mention somewhere behind the wheel at the helm and do you know if I need to turn the wheel as it's bled?
Greg

Will
09-05-2007, 12:39 PM
Hyanutics was bought out by Teleflex. You can go to their site and work your way through "downloads" to get what you want. This link may be what you're after: http://www.seatechmarineproducts.com/_downloads/49
Will

Capt.Erich
09-05-2007, 12:54 PM
I have esentially the same system in my '64 Sport Cruiser. It's a two person job. Follow the directions for the Hynautic bleeding process found on this web site under "Tip's and Tricks".

jerseyboy
09-05-2007, 01:59 PM
Capt. Erich, You mention "tips and tricks" but I did not see that list on this Hatteras owners site. Did you mean another web site? If so please post it. Thanks

mike41tc
09-05-2007, 02:27 PM
Tips and tricks is on the Sam's marine main web page.
Mike

Capt.Erich
09-05-2007, 03:22 PM
Sorry, I should have included it. Here tiz...

http://www.samsmarine.com/tipstricks.htm

jerseyboy
09-05-2007, 04:12 PM
Thanks Guy's, I found it. There is a part that I'm unclear on and that's on the first page #3. What exactly is meant by turn slowly 2 to 3 sec./rev 25-35 turns in one direction. Am I to turn the wheel, lets say, 2 to 3 seconds to starboard then go back to my starting point and repeat this process turning to starboard 25-35 times kind of like pumping or do I continue to turn the wheel in the same starboard direction until hard over?

Boatsb
09-05-2007, 06:30 PM
Each revolution should take 2-3 seconds and turn it 25-30 Revolutions each way. Basically turn the wheel slowly.

MikeP
09-06-2007, 06:27 PM
It will never be Hard Over - there is a relief valve. You can turn the wheel forever in either direction and it will just activate the relief valve. Just keep turning. I have found that it can take 100 turns in the same direction to completely bleed the pump. Then you do it the other way!