PDA

View Full Version : Pilot House Doors Jamming Up

svaron
08-12-2007, 10:04 PM
Hey guys...

On my 1990 54ED, the pilot house door seems to be jamming up. Are there some replacement parts available at Sam's Marine and if so, how do you get to the tracks???

Thanks,

Sam

SKYCHENEY
08-12-2007, 10:08 PM
Sams has what you need. The wheels are plastic and they get flat spots.

fixin-to-cruise
08-13-2007, 06:53 AM
The pilothouse doors in my 1990 MY have had the same problem. The door rollers on the bottom track have a plastic wheel with a non-stainless steel bearing that rusts. I've replaced a few of them over the years, which requires taking the door off by unscrewing the bottom door track from the boat. There are no bearings at the top, only the two at the bottom. There are also two smaller rollers on the bottom that are in the kit sold at Sam's. Sam's has the kits in stock, but they aren't cheap, about $65 per door as I remember.

Load them with LPS-3 or some other corrosion protective lubricant to extend the time before the new bearings rust too! I think that if the bearings were lubed every year they would last indefinitely but removing the doors annually to do that is too much aggravation.

It would be great to find a stainless replacement bearing, but the plastic wheel on the outside of the bearing is required too.

svaron
08-13-2007, 07:12 AM
Great... thanks for your help as always.
I will call Sam's today.

Best,

Sam