PDA

View Full Version : Diesel smell after running

whaler23
07-21-2007, 10:30 PM
I have checked the engine room thoroughly after running, no leaks, no blow back, etc... that I can see. Why is it that every time I run the inside of the boat smells of diesel when I get back. Doors and hatches closed, sometimes genny running with ac others not, always the smell. Bilges are clean as well. Any suggestions?

SKYCHENEY
07-21-2007, 10:40 PM
Exhaust smell or raw fuel smell?

whaler23
07-22-2007, 12:13 AM
That's a tough one, I would say almost a combination. Not anywhere like if you spilled some fuel on the eng room floor smell but not exhaust either.

Passages
07-22-2007, 12:23 AM
Sounds normal. Could be a wee bit of oil cooking on the hot surfaces of engines when hot, then while cooling, odor goes away.

Trojan
07-22-2007, 08:47 AM
What boat, size, model. Sounds more like an exhaust leak if the boat is all closed up. You need to define things more.

BILL

StratPlan61
07-22-2007, 08:56 AM
Check your exhaust system at night with the engine idling. Turn off every light in the boat, close all curtains, etc. Use a super bright narrow beam flashlight shinning it at every part of your exhaust system including where there are no connections. Also shine it into closed bilge spaces, behind cabinets, etc. Shine it places where there shouldn't be any exhaust fumes at all. I'm betting you'll find exhaust fumes in several places.

whaler23
07-22-2007, 09:09 AM
'7436C, Cat 3208 N's. Simple Air Cleaner element on top covering intake. Cleaned both last week. Mechanical everything on the engine, injection, injection pump, two filters 30 micron primary, 6 micron secondary. Cleaned engines several weeks ago to make sure no leaks or fuel puddling on top anywhere. Cleaned bilges as well and under engines to remove grease, oil, residual, etc...

bobk
07-22-2007, 10:10 AM
Does it occur only when underway or at the slip too? Might you have a station wagon effect? Air can get sucked back in via head and drier vents, maybe even sink drains. Any soot on plastic bags, headliner etc?

Bob

whaler23
07-22-2007, 10:26 AM
Only noticeable when return to slip after running for awhile at planing speeds. No soot around air vents, drains, etc...

Mike36c
07-22-2007, 11:07 AM
My bet is the smell is from the crankcase breathers, Airseps and CCV's were designed to take care of that by burning the vapors. Pull one hose and take a whiff to be sure its the source.

hattitude
07-22-2007, 02:03 PM
My bet is the smell is from the crankcase breathers, Airseps and CCV's were designed to take care of that by burning the vapors. Pull one hose and take a whiff to be sure its the source.

I agree (barring no visible exhaust leaks)

Had the same thing on my 2cycle detroits. I added a Racor ccv and it disappeared

whaler23
07-22-2007, 03:19 PM
I'm assuming my CCV is composed of a small canister type device screwed or bolted to the valve cover. Given that my engines have no clearance between the tops and the floors how do these Airseps mount to the engine? Thanks for the tips. The link shows the specs on the one for my engine.

http://www.walkerairsep.com/product_detail.asp?id=589

hattitude
07-22-2007, 04:56 PM
I'm assuming my CCV is composed of a small canister type device screwed or bolted to the valve cover. Given that my engines have no clearance between the tops and the floors how do these Airseps mount to the engine? Thanks for the tips. The link shows the specs on the one for my engine.

http://www.walkerairsep.com/product_detail.asp?id=589

The airsep attaches to the Turbo intake. The Racor has a remote cannister with a filter that attaches to the crankcase vents and turbo via hoses.

I think the Racor offers better mounting choices and the filtered blowby will not clog aftr/inter coolers like the AirSep has a habit of doing.

Check it out:http://www.parker.com/racor/ccv_intro.html

Good luck...

whaler23
07-22-2007, 05:15 PM
The engines aren't turbo.

newinlet
07-22-2007, 05:49 PM
When I launched my boat this year I had the same odor when I returned to the dock. I replaced my fuel filters (canister type) and I found a torn o ring on one of the housings. I replaced all o rings & filters and the my odor went away

bobk
07-23-2007, 10:02 AM
I have Airseps on the turbo's but I can't recall what is on the ccv. Is it possible to insert a Racor ccv filter into this system to keep the coolers cleaner?

Bob