PDA

View Full Version : 12 volt fan with 32volt current

captwoodyb
07-09-2007, 05:47 PM
Has anyone ever tried replacing the 32volt blowers in the heads, engine rooms with par 12volt fans ? I suspect it might work ??? And/or is there such a thing as an inexpensive transistor/diode or other magic device to put in line to step down the current at each device ?

yachtsmanbill
07-09-2007, 06:16 PM
So far, Ive pulled the blowers out of the galley and forward head, cleaned and oiled and re-installed. They are 110 volt a.c. motors. They were stuck with mud bug nests!
On topic though, I am in the process of converting my 32 volt dashboard and courtesy lights to 12 volts. I REFUSE to pay $5 for a stupid little light bulb, and that dont include spares! Ive mounted a 12 volt buss and fuse block in the helm and pulled the feed wires off the 32 volt breakers. PROBLEM SOLVED.
Your 12 volt motors running on 32 volts will run 3X as fast, and get nice and hot in short order.
My heads and aux equip are now 12 volts running on a charger, and I will mount 12 volt alternators to the mains for juice when under way. You can buy an inline ceramic resistor from the auto parts. Chrysler used to use them on the coil feeds. Youll need to do the math to figure out the drop via OHMS and mount somewhere where a hot resistor wont burn anything. 32 volts is hot stuff!! ws