PDA

View Full Version : Burned by a non-problem

Bob Bradley
05-29-2007, 02:25 PM
I’m coming to the conclusion that maintenance is a bad thing, and that it makes more sense to simply let stuff break and fix it when it happens.

I decided to finally replace my canister filters with spin-ons on my Allisons. I drained the oil, removed the old filters, and installed the new ones. The job was a real snap. No problems, no spills, life is good. Then I went to refill the trannis. My oil reservoir was a bit low, so I picked up a couple 5 gal pails of oil and topped it off via the deck fill on the gunwale.

I set the valves on the manifold and turned on the pump in the “fill” position, and filled each tranni. After the initial filling, I pulled the dipstick. The oil level was near the full mark, but the motor was off, so I started it, and then topped off the level. As I pulled the dipstick, I was horrified to see creamy looking oil covering it. Checking the second engine, I found the same thing. Since the only common link was my oil reservoir, I pulled the outlet hose, and pumped a couple quarts into a white pail. It came out all milky and crappy looking. I figured that my deck fill cap must have leaked during heavy rains last month, and went out and bought several filters and another 20 gallons of oil, thinking that I would have to change it a few times to clean it up.

I went back to the boat, pulled the filters, and drained the oil. I had picked up the new oil in gallon containers, to simplify refilling, but even these were hard to handle in cramped quarters, and I managed to spill a couple quarts in the process. To avoid this, I pulled the inlet hose to my pump off the reservoir, and put it into the gallon jugs. I finished topping off the trannis, checked the level, and once again found creamy oil.

After much wailing and gnashing of my teeth, $400 worth of oil and extra filters, and 8 hours of my miserable life, it turns out that the high rpm vane pump I have was aerating the oil and giving it the creamy consistency. Sort of an oil latte. Looking at the 2 quarts I had pumped into the bucket earlier, I found it looking clear and clean, with no globules of water in it whatsoever. I finished cleaning up the resultant mess around 2:30 am.

Ugghhh.

Rickysa
05-29-2007, 02:37 PM
I kinda like the adage..."the enemy of good is better"

Passages
05-29-2007, 02:37 PM
If it doesn't kill you, it only makes you stronger.

Reminds me of the time I lost a day trying to figure why my genny raw water pump wasn't priming. After much disassembly-reassembly, I found a forgotten wear plate in my pocket. :o

Traveler 45C
05-29-2007, 02:48 PM
I hate when that happens.

I had a similar scare changing the oil in the mains this weekend. I put it in and it sure looked creamy on the dip stick. I started freaking, walked away, came back and checked it again. The oil had settled down or it was the lighting, I don’t know. I never saw anything like that before. It sure got my thinking about how much money and work I was gonna’ be spending…

Beckytek
05-29-2007, 07:03 PM
Sounds like my neigbor at the marina this week. Couldn't get his A/C to work. The water pump was not running and the compressors were dead. I told him to check the pump as nothing will work unless it runs. After working on it for an hour he annouced the thermostat was set for "heat"!

Boatsb
05-29-2007, 07:20 PM
There is a person who does not need to own a boat.