PDA

View Full Version : Imron over wood trim peeling

whaler23
05-19-2007, 08:36 PM
When my boat was repainted a couple of years ago the shop convinced me to paint the corner trim where the rear bulkhead joins the side of the deckhouse on my 36C. The trim molding was teak I believe although I'm not sure. It has started to peel in several places and I'm not sure what to do with it.

Starman
05-19-2007, 11:49 PM
Scott,

If it is peeling it is beyond repair. You need to start fresh, so sand it down to the wood again.

Did you epoxy the teak first or did you use a primer on the wood before applying the paint ?

If not, then by all means either epoxy or use a primer suitable for teak, then sand it and paint again.

Teak is an oily wood and unless primed or epoxied, ( and sometimes even after those steps) the paint will crack and peel away.

Liquid Asset
05-20-2007, 12:01 AM
Scott,
I had the same problem. I sanded it down to bare wood, covered it with CPES, primed and painted it. It has been good since, and looks a lot better. Lots of work, but it is the only solution.

Boss Lady
05-20-2007, 02:31 AM
Your yard just confirmed that they are idiots. Anyone in the trade should know this. I would get a second opinion for everything they ever recommend to you. Self defense move.

whaler23
05-20-2007, 08:38 AM
Yeah, those guys at Merrit Boat Works aren't known for quality work, but I thought they knew better than me. :rolleyes: Anyway, it looks like a complete sand down with a primer/epoxy and repaint is the best way to go. Any ideas on the best way to strip off the peeling Imron without damaging nearby surfaces or should I remove the trim altogether and start with new material? Thanks.

yachtsmanbill
05-20-2007, 09:29 AM
If its' trim and removable, cut the paint line with a sharp knife, and remove it.
Time vs money?? I'd zip out a new piece and bed it real well, after painting or varnishing. I would also consider cleaning the paint line and run a 1" strip of new paint on both planes in the corner-- the judges will never see it, and yet be amazed at the clean corners! :D ws

surfdancer45
05-21-2007, 08:47 AM
I had this problem also and when I repainted the boat I replaced that trim with a heavy fillet of West epoxy. Lots of sanding to blend it in but it has held up for 8 years. Bob

Brian Degulis
05-21-2007, 03:32 PM
I've found the best results over bare wood of any kind but especially oily woods are to first apply a thinned coat or two of epoxy. I have used CPES but prefer thinning west system with acetone. First coat very thin then when the solvents evaporate (about 30 min to an hour) a second coat only slightly thinned. This works equally well for brightwork or paint.

Brian