PDA

View Full Version : fuel tank

hat41
03-24-2005, 11:28 AM
i have a 1968 41c that has a problem fueling. the port tank will take fuel at a moderate speed no problem the starboard will only take fuel at a slow rate any increase and it drulls out of the vent. the boat appears to have stock hatteras plumbing as far as the vent and fill configuration. the boat at some point was converted from gas to diesel.the vent tube has a rise loop about 12" above the thru-hull. anybody else have this problem and or a sollution
thanks mark

skammtoo
03-24-2005, 11:42 AM
It could be an obstruction in the vent line. Try to blow it out (away from the tank towards the hull) and try again. I have one bad one on my 50'my that just won't go away. Some day I'll simply replace the vents with new copper or flex.

K:hat

PascalG
03-24-2005, 02:11 PM
i have the same issue on my 53my... if i fill the tanks too quickly a very small trickle comes out of the vents and makes a slick on the water. I heard you can can get cruicified for such serious offense these days :-)

I put in 3 way valves in the vent line connected to a tee and some clear hose which I route thru the ER vent into the filler. whatever trickles out now goes back inthe filler, no spill...

pascal
70 53 my

hat41
03-24-2005, 03:47 PM
i don't understand how that much fuel is able to escape the vent if the tank is near empty. i'm thinking the vent was connected to a stand pipe to the bottom of the tank, during the conversion from gas to diesel and fuel is pushed up the pipe during fueling?
mark

atclj
03-25-2005, 11:52 PM
Ny 34DC does the same thing except it is more like a run of fuel out the vents than a trickle, and filling very slow doesn't seem to help. Also happens whether tanks are 1/4 or 3/4. I can't figure out why this happens. Makes no sense to me. I think I am going to have to go the three way valve route some day, but the vent lines are a pita to get to.