PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Panel Switch

ELECTRA VI
04-05-2005, 04:10 PM
The other day I noticed that the area around the shore power/generator switch on the main electrical was hot while running the generator (1966 34 C). I had considerable load on running the AC, refridgerator, oven and hot water heater. (over 4000watts). I also noticed a strange smell in the locker where the panel is located. I have not noticed this smell or heat on the panel when running the A/C etc off shore power. The generator was newly installed in January 2003 and has less than 100 hours on it. Any ideas why the panel is warm around the switch and why the strange smell?
Thanks, George

Genesis
04-05-2005, 04:39 PM
Something is loose or corroded in there and is burning up!

Find and take care of that - the alternative, of course, is that it may light itself off..... :eek

ELECTRA VI
04-05-2005, 05:31 PM
Genesis, Thank you. I will take the panel off and take a look.

67HAT34C
04-05-2005, 05:46 PM
George,
Is it the breaker under the sink in the head or the main one in the closet or has yours been converted. The original set up was to have 2 independent circuits. 2 separate panels, not a sub panel.

Typicaly if circuit is overloaded the breaker will trip, providing it is still good. Heating is typicaly a loose connection.

ELECTRA VI
04-06-2005, 11:43 AM
Steve, it is the main three way selector switch in the closet which is for shore power, off and generator. When in the generator position, the area heated up. Doesn't happen when the switch is set to shore power.

67HAT34C
04-06-2005, 01:00 PM
mine has to panels like that. there is one under the sink just for the ac units. it has a selector for off, shore or gen then 2 breakers for the 2 original ac units.

is your airconditioner running off of your main panel?

ELECTRA VI
04-07-2005, 12:48 PM
Steve, I do not have a separate panel for the AC. There is no breaker specifically for it on the main panel. When running from shore power, there is a separate breaker for it as it runs off a separate power cord. However, unless I am at a marina (then I run off a 50 amp outlet with two power cords and Y connector), I just use a 30 amp cord which runs everything.

Nonchalant1
04-07-2005, 09:28 PM
Chances are that the large connection for the generator "hot" wire to that switch is corroded. Turn off all power, open the box up and check the hot and common connection. Should be easy to fix unless the wire itself has been degraded by corrosion.

Doug

ELECTRA VI
04-08-2005, 09:45 AM
Doug, Thank you very much. I will check it this weekend.
George

34Hatt
04-08-2005, 10:36 AM
George
It is possible that it is the switch itself corroded inside try some contact cleaner and air on it and switch it to all positions. If it is the switch I still have the one out of my boat that you are welcomed too.
Dan

ELECTRA VI
04-08-2005, 12:04 PM
Dan, Thanks. I will check it out tomorrow and let you know if I need the switch on Monday. Are you back in the water yet?

34Hatt
04-08-2005, 01:20 PM
O.k not in water but uncovered this week need to build new swimplatform this week so about in 2 weeks should be in.

Dick
04-08-2005, 10:03 PM
George:

I encountered the same problem several years ago. The hot leads from the genset shorted out in the switch. Not sure if they rattled loose or why this occurred, but the result was not only burned wires but it fried the genset side of the switch. The shore power side still worked fine. As we were out at the time, I stripped back the gen leads and rewired to the shore power side. When I returned home, I needed to replace the switch and spruce up the gen leads a bit more.

Incidently, when the problem occurred, the switch arced on the back side of the panel. It really scared me to think if I hadn't been standing there watching, ...!

Dick

ELECTRA VI
04-12-2005, 04:22 PM
Dick, Thank you. I ran some tests this weekend. With shore power connected, no heat around the switch. When I turned on the genny, and powered up just the A/C the area around the switch was a little warm. The smell in the closet was not nearly as strong as it was when I had almost everything turned on. With just the A/C working I was using about 2000 watts. The previous owner said something to me about not using more than 3600 watts, but gave no reason. It is possible the switch is not rated for higher loads?

CYMANLEY
04-12-2005, 10:53 PM
GEORGE
KEEP IN MIND THAT IF YOU FIND A LOOSE CONNECTION JUST TIGHTENING IT UP MAY NOT SOLVE THE PROBLEM. A LOT OF THE TIME I HAVE FOUND THAT A LOOSE CONNECTION CAN, (NOT ALWAYS) CAUSE DAMAGE TO THE SURROUNDING METAL. WHAT HAPPENS IS THE HEAT FROM THE LOOSE CONNECTION WILL DAMAGE THE TEMPER OF THE METAL. THIS MAKES IT HARDER TO MAKE A GOOD CONNECTION. MAKE SURE YOU NOT ONLY TIGHTEN BUT CLEAN ANY LOOSE CONNECTIONS YOU FIND. GOOD LUCK.
CY

ELECTRA VI
04-13-2005, 10:13 AM
Cy, Thank you. I will make sure all contacts are clean. Is there anything I need to be aware of or anything special I need to do when removing the panel aside from making sure the AC power is disconnected from the boat?

first230sl
04-13-2005, 03:21 PM
Make sure that not only are you disconnected from the shore p[ower, but also that your inverter is off if it goes through the same panel as mine does.

Aside from that I also disconnect the 32V supply since it goes through the same panel on mine. 32V is unlikely to kill me, but I hate the nasty surprises I get when I short something out.

When I work in the panel I tend to make sure there is no power anywhere in it, and then plug in a trouble lite on the shore and bring it aboard.

Take care.

ELECTRA VI
04-19-2005, 09:41 AM
Make sure that not only are you disconnected from the shore p[ower, but also that your inverter is off if it goes through the same panel as mine does.

Aside from that I also disconnect the 32V supply since it goes through the same panel on mine. 32V is unlikely to kill me, but I hate the nasty surprises I get when I short something out.

When I work in the panel I tend to make sure there is no power anywhere in it, and then plug in a trouble lite on the shore and bring it aboard.

Take care.

I opened the panel and checked the wiring. Everything looks good, no burned wires and none appear to be loose. Everything looks brand new. Is it possible that the switch itself is not rated to carry the load? The only markings I could see on the switch indicated AC up (shore power and DC down (genset). There were no arrows, just the markings in white.

ELECTRA VI
04-19-2005, 09:43 AM
[QUOTE=ELECTRA VI]I opened the panel and checked the wiring. Everything looks good, no burned wires and none appear to be loose. Everything looks brand new. Is it possible that the switch itself is not rated to carry the load? The only markings I could see on the switch indicated AC up (shore power and DC down (genset). There were no arrows, just the markings in white.