PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive (ie. under $300) 7x50 Binoculars

JLR
01-03-2007, 12:29 PM
I am looking to buy my umteenth pair of 7x50 binoculars to carry as a spare. It appears that I am down to a pair of Fujinon ($185) and a pair of Steiner ($265). Assuming I want to stay in the $300 price range, does anyone have any suggestions for a pair of 7x50 binoculars. My cheapo Tasco's (OS 36 and OS 54) have all died and the Fujinons I have are ok but I need another pair. I do not need a compass in them. The NYC boat show is this week so it's time to shop. Any help would be appreciated.

MikeP
01-03-2007, 01:10 PM
I'm partial to Steiners! I have used them for years and have found them to have superb image quality and they are very durable - at least the armored (rubber-covered) versions are. A handy accessory is a floating foam strap. This will ensure that when (not if) you drop them in the water, you will be able to recover them none the worse for wear.

JLR
01-03-2007, 01:15 PM
Mike - thanks. Have you had any experience with the Steiner 575. They go for about $270.

MikeP
01-03-2007, 01:45 PM
I'm not sure but looking on thier website, I believe that was the model I had on our previous boat. I thought they were excellent. Unfortunately, when I sold the boat, they went with it (unintentionally)!

When we bought our 53MY a couple of years ago, the Admiral bought me a pair of Steiner Navigators (with the compass). They are also excellent. Someday I might even find a use for the compass! ;)

JLR
01-03-2007, 01:46 PM
Thanks. I wonder whether someone at the Show will have decent prices on binoculars.

StratPlan61
01-03-2007, 01:57 PM
They're not for everyone but I LOVE my 'fixed focus' or 'no focus' 7x50 rubber coated binos. I have a pair of Bushnell (black rubber) and another pair of Jason (yellow rubber), they are identical except for color. I like them because you can quickly lock onto your sight target with absolutely no adjustment - your eyes do all of the focusing as in normal vision.
They are not good for short distances of less than 75 feet. Some guests aboard haven't liked them - guess it's a matter of personal preference. But for $70 who can criticize 'em?? (my God I sound cheap!) I must say, the kids or grandkids never have them all screwed up and out-of-adjustment. They are also great for hunting!

Bear'
1984 61' MY Strategic Plan

(Nobody You Know)
01-03-2007, 02:14 PM
My cheapo Tasco's (OS 36 and OS 54) have all died and the Fujinons I have are ok but I need another pair.

This is very interesting. A while back when I researched buying a pair for the boat it occured to me the harsh weather climate, the possibility of getting stolen or lost, or falling overboard. So I too bought a cheap pair of Tasco's. Actually 2 pair, one for the boat and one for the car. That was in 1989. They are still as good as ever.

Your needs may be different from mine. All I wanted to do was to identify the next marker. More expensive binnoculars are not all that great when things are rockin and rollin. Do you really need expensive binnoculars?

MikeP
01-03-2007, 02:59 PM
My Steiner Navigator's are also "fixed" focus and are in focus (per Steiner specs) from 20 metres to Inf. So if you are interested in binos that can focus closer, you will need to get a model that has manual focusing.

JLR
01-03-2007, 03:45 PM
I too am just looking to identify the next marker and I do not need to focus any closer than you. However, my Tasco's appear to have the coating coming off the eyepiece lenses and basically seem dirty when you look through them. Of course, West Marine said that they are just dirty and nothing else is wrong with them. Figures. I have tried to clean them to no avail. Hence, another pair or relatively inexpensive binoculars is needed.

Fanfare
01-03-2007, 04:33 PM
I have had great luck with the armored waterproof Fujinon binoculars. One set 30 years, second twenty or so. The eyepiece rubber gets old and cracks where it folds back for my glasses after a few decades, but probably could be repaired. Other than this, no problems. Just rinse them off under the tap every day to get the salt off.

Still, for about the last 5-10 years my main binoculars have been the stabilized 10x30s from Canon. They are not waterproof, but I have never had a water problem. However, after this much time the reflective coating on the prisms seems to be turning white, somewhat reducing the clarity of the image. Santa said he'd give me a new pair for Christmas, but the waterproof ones are $$$ compared to the non-waterproof. I'm still thinking--but may be at the Miami Boat Show, so could look for savings.

The stabilized ones permitted me to go up from 7x to 10x magnification and still see well. The smaller objective lens is a disadvantage at night as it won't collect as much light, but I can always go back to the Fujinons. The Canons are really light and much less tiring to wear around my neck. A good pair of binoculars is an investment and a joy to use. The utility of the Canons puts them up with the Fujinons. Good luck!

StratPlan61
01-03-2007, 04:56 PM
Many years ago I was a topographic instrument repairman (in the Army). A good trick for cleaning really scrungy optics e.g., mirrors, prisms and lenses is acetone and a cotton q-tip. If they don't come clean ask a local surveyor where he gets his instruments serviced, despite GPS surveying there are still a few instrument guys around. When you find one, he can remove your lenses (if you couldn't get them clean) and either replace them or remove them, repurge the nitrogen in the telescope and reseal the lens.
I'd still vote for the cheaper binos - and have several pair aboard. At night I have a pair for everyone in the pilothouse - they are literally lifesavers!

Bear'
1984 61' MY Strategic Plan

SeaEric
01-03-2007, 05:14 PM
Last summer I went to West Marine to treat myself to a new pair of "nice" binoculars. I forget what it was that I had accomplished to suggest that I deserved a treat- anyway. After fondling all of their in stock binocular merchandise, I concluded that the el cheapo WEST brand blue rubber model was just fine with me. So I abandoned the mission for the good ones and have been quite happy with my more thrifty purchase. They were on sale at the time and if I recall- maybe $70 bucks.

luckydave215
01-03-2007, 11:55 PM
Practical sailor (which I find to be a fine publication, they test things scientifically, and accept no advertizing) rated the fujinon's the best, with the west marine brand coming in second in the $300 binoculars test. The Stieners tested Ok, but nothing special.

JLR
01-04-2007, 07:11 AM
Which Fujinon model was that and what was the price? Thanks.

jim rosenthal
01-04-2007, 07:51 AM
The expensive Fujinons are the flat-field ones, the Polaris. I have a set, they are great, but the less expensive ones are very good, too- I think they are called the Nautilus, maybe? Defender Marine usually have good prices on all their binoculars. My Fujis are the best I have ever had, and worth the money, but they are better than five hundred dollars most places now.

"Cheap" binocs are much better than they used to be, and you can see from here that many of us have had good luck with cheap ones. I would try a lot of different ones, which you can do at a boat show, and keep notes. If you wear glasses, etc, and many of us do, eye relief can be a big factor in deciding which one you prefer. I have bought at least one set of the WM cheapos as a gift, and thought they were fine. Whatever you buy, make sure it's waterproof.

PBR just tested image-stabilizing binoculars last issue, and the Fuji StabilEyes are the best. However, I need to get my engines in first- they are a grand at the least, and usually more.

JLR
01-04-2007, 08:01 AM
Thanks. That leaves me back to where I started. I guess I need to find a store that carry the Steiner 575 and the Fujis to do a comparison. Does anyone know of a binocular holder that permits the binoculars to be seated and held by just the cups. I will be standing them straight up between my helm seat and my side window and I do not have room to mount a traditional binocular holder.

egaito
01-04-2007, 09:12 AM
Last summer I went to West Marine to treat myself to a new pair of "nice" binoculars. I forget what it was that I had accomplished to suggest that I deserved a treat- anyway. After fondling all of their in stock binocular merchandise, I concluded that the el cheapo WEST brand blue rubber model was just fine with me. So I abandoned the mission for the good ones and have been quite happy with my more thrifty purchase. They were on sale at the time and if I recall- maybe $70 bucks.

Bino's are something West actually does well. I think most of theirs are made by Fujinon, though there was one set that I could swear were relabeled Steiners.

jim rosenthal
01-04-2007, 04:20 PM
There is also a web site called www.binoculars.com, which has a lot of these, although they are not always marine models. Take a look there, they have lots of accessories. HTH

REBrueckner
01-05-2007, 09:46 AM
I used a pair of Tasco's for many years, thought they were great. THEN I got a pair of Minolta's...wow what a difference...LOVE the Minolta's!!!
Try shopping online for best price...

JLR
01-05-2007, 11:36 AM
I checked out a pair of Steiner 575 against a pair of similarly priced Fujis. While I was unable to tell the difference between the two, albeit in a high light environment, the Steiners felt better to me. So, I found a source online for a refurbished pair at about 50% of the price of a new pair, with a full return policy if I am not satisfied. I will give it a try and see how they are. If I like them , I might just buy a second pair as well to add to the 4 pair I already own. I'll keep the Tasco's in the harsh environments (ie. bridge and tower) as spares and if they get trashed, so be it.

Boatsb
01-05-2007, 12:01 PM
How did you compare the 2 side by side? What was the measure? Sounded like they were more comfortable?

JLR
01-05-2007, 12:13 PM
I took them out in the parking lot of the West Marine store and looked out over the harbor. The Steiners were heavily rubberized and the Fujis were not. For the location and usage that I have in mind, the rubberized coating works better for me. As far as ability to discern any visual difference between the two looking out at the name on a boat about 1/4 mile way, I could discern no noticeable difference. Perhaps a low light test would be better, but that is not in the cards.

Boatsb
01-05-2007, 12:19 PM
I understand the comfort now.

FWIW I am not a supporter of WM but why go to the store and play with the stuff if you have no intention of buying it there. I'm sure there are other options to buying online or have the online reseller send the binoculars for you to look at. It's just not fair to use someone elses resources that they have to pay for so you can do business with someone else who wont lay out the cost of the resources. Would you like people coming to take up your time and then pay someone else for the work you did?

JLR
01-05-2007, 12:55 PM
Just to set the record straight, I had every intention of buying them there until at the end, I asked if they would do a price match with an internet price offered by Consumers Marine. When they said no, I walked. Care to defend why I should pay about 25% more for the same item because they no longer will price match. No who is wasting who's money?

Boatsb
01-05-2007, 12:59 PM
I will agree with that scenario ans apoligize if I was to quick to jump on it. WM has long ago stated we can jump in the lake if we want a price match. I go to BASS proshops or any other retailer and do my shopping as long as they are reasonable. Price match is also a funny thing as they will usually match to another store but not an ecommerce site. I will agree with that but they dont get to choose which store.

Its sad to say we have very few choices of fair and moral retailers letf.

JLR
01-05-2007, 01:05 PM
No apology needed. Just to add insult to injury, the whole reason I am buying a new pair of binoculars is because West Marine refused to honor their own warranty on the pair of Tasco binoculars I bought from them. They said the lenses were dirty. I said the coating on the lenses is coming off. They said they would send them back but charge me if it was found only to be dirt. After a college education and three years of law school, together with 25 years of practicing law, my mind is still sharp enough to distinguish what is dirt and what is not. It was not worth my time to fight with them so I decided to buy another pair. In my opinion, West Marine prays on those unfortunate folks who have no opportunity to shop elsewhere or who do not know anything about what they need to buy for a boat.

Boatsb
01-05-2007, 01:08 PM
Thats whats wrong with this country. Even an lawyer will not push the legal issue with WM and make them live up to their warranty. its like the rebates you send in for. They know 85% will either be declined or not filed so they play the numbers game. I say get a Jr associate to file the papers and have WM live up to their promise.

JLR
01-05-2007, 01:09 PM
Problem is, you what they say about a lawyer who represents himself.

Boatsb
01-05-2007, 01:10 PM
Thats why you get the Jr to do it. hell I bet they fold in 30 seconds and never let it get to court.

Trojan
01-06-2007, 10:33 AM
Boatsb, I though that is what they call shopping. How do you purchase a new car or boat. I was just in WM. I think since they purchased Boat US the price of things started to clime. I only buy what is on sale or if I'm in a pinch. For an example I broke a little push together snap. Like used on a tote bag. WM had a 2 pack for $6 bucks. I purchased a single snap at Ace for $1.60. It was the the same snap. I have purchased many items at WM in the past, but I find it hard to buy there now when in the back of my mind I think I'm getting shafted. I don't mind spending money, I just don't like giving it away:(

BILL

Boatsb
01-07-2007, 09:28 PM
If you know they are shafting you do as I do and stay away. I will only go in there to buy an item I can not get elswhere in the time I need it. I do not go there to look at things or "shop" since I do not intend to buy anything there so I will go "shop" at reputable marine suppliers or see it on a friends boat and buy it online.

yachtsmanbill
01-07-2007, 10:03 PM
We went to WM today and found out they are dropping 90% of the Perko line and replacing it with WM house brand (ZAMAC malaysian prison industries ?) Everything I asked for they said they can order.
For giggles I asked the "expert" about ice makers. The guy told me, and I quote," Gee, most of our refrigerators dont have an ice maker as far as I know..." Thats when I left, after paying $9.99 each for 2 - 1/4 x 1" ss detent pins for my boarding ladder. Also MIC (made in china) FWIW :mad: << wished they had a grunt on the crapper icon! ws

ThirdHatt
01-08-2007, 10:48 AM
While I won't contribute to beating the West Marine pricing/price match dead horse, I do agree that the Steiners are the most bang for the buck in the $300 price range. When I was searching about a year ago, I wanted the Steiners with a compass that WM was selling for around $429 or so. I watched the sales and discounts for nearly a year and with my Port Supply card the best I could get was $350 with compass, $300 without. I wanted to be at $300 with compass, so I kept looking. I ended up buying a pair of Fujinon's with compass that WM sold for $699 for $175 new in the box off of ebay. If you can get the Steiners for $299 from Consumers I think your research is done.

GOOD LUCK!!!

JLR
01-08-2007, 10:54 AM
Thanks. Will do.