PDA

View Full Version : so why would/did you get an older hatteras?

Woodsong
10-23-2006, 06:05 PM
So, just for fun, why did you or why would you (if buying another boat) buy an older hatteras? Why buy a 50'-60' boat that is essentially 30 years old vs. say a motoryacht (if that is your style boat) that is only say 3 years old and admittedly maybe 5-7 feet shorter but still, basically a brand new boat.
I have my own reasons for possibly going this route (beautiful lines, a classic look, all wood interior, solid hull construction, etc. etc.). Still, I can't get around the fact (y'all correct me if i am wrong!) that an older and larger boat is going to invariably translate into more work/maintanence to keep in the good working order I want out of a boat that transports my most important thing, family and friends.

What say ye to this insanity called boating? :)

captddis
10-23-2006, 06:30 PM
It depends on the person. I have a 23 year old 46 HP and I have been in the yacht repair business 31 years, so repairs do not concern me. I like the classic looks and I knew and maintained this boat since it was new. I wanted it for 20 years. but if I could afford new I would get a new boat.
As far as reliability, If a older boat has been properly maintained it should be just as reliable as a newer boat.
In some cases MORE reliable, such as in the mechanical engines compared to the computer controlled engines. The same goes for the other gee whiz gadgets on the new boats.
If you are not mechanically inclined, I would suggest you take your time and buy a pristine used Hatt and If need be pay a premium for it. In the end it will be cheaper and you will not have the hassles.
Good luck in your search. Dave

SKYCHENEY
10-23-2006, 06:35 PM
I disagree that an older Hatteras is more work than a newer boat. If the Hatteras has been well maintained it should actually require less work.

First, Hatteras used the best available components. You will have a hard time finding a new boat with GalleyMaid (rebuildable) water pumps and toilets, for example. You probably won't get wiring diagrams with numbered wires. You don't get double 3/4" plywood bulkheads. You probably won't get isolation transformers and rub rails that you can actually use as rub rails (most new boats have some plastic strip behind their rails). How about fiberglass tanks -- zero maintenance there as opposed to aluminum or stainless. THen there is the all copper water lines with flared fittings, and the copper fuel lines and steering lines. How about the Imron paint instead of just gel coat.

I could go on and on, but as you say it is hard to pass one by when you see the afromosia interior and the classic lines.

Jaxfishgyd
10-23-2006, 06:36 PM
You tell someone who knows a bit about boats you have a Hatteras, and they are impressed. Quality is earned on a long term basis and Hatt is one that meets the requirements.
Plus we have support from the company and it is so well put together.
I will take my REAL WOOD interior over the plastic anytime.

yachtsmanbill
10-23-2006, 06:55 PM
Hatteras definitely has the reputation albeit right behind my aluminum Roamer! The gas boat is a 35K unit that I have invested 350K into. Cant wait to see how much I dump into the Hatt. If Mies Van Der Roe was correct,(I know the "EXPERTS" know the answer!), I shouldnt have to sink more than 1 or 2 M into this one.
Safety Tip: What are the variation declination dates on your paper charts?? ws

luckydave215
10-23-2006, 06:55 PM
When someone asks what make of boat you have and you say "Hatteras" watch their eyes. They usually raise a bit, and you'll likely hear a comment like "top of the line" or some such. Most new boats just don't have the "Made in America" build quality of an older Hatt.
Sometimes I think I'd get the same reaction if I said I bought my teenager a new car for their 16th birthday.............a Ferrari.

Beyond that b.s., when you see how Hatts are put together in the places owners usually can't see, the good old fashioned honest craftsmanship, you''ll know why we love them.

Genesis
10-23-2006, 07:03 PM
Yep.

All boats are expensive and all boats have things that break on them.

With Hatts, what breaks was usually well-thought-out when originally built, is generally accessible, and was put together properly.

This doesn't necessarily drop the cost of ownership much, but it sure does keep the "George Carlin Tourette Syndrome" in check.

Plus, you can't beat the classic lines.

Buccaneer
10-23-2006, 07:14 PM
You asked that question, in THIS forum? Kinda asking a kid if s/he likes Christmas, while giving them a present.

Take a read through the threads (it can be fascinating...) and you'll read the answer between the lines.

Take a look at the owners gallery (ies) and you'll SEE the answer - and a picture IS worth 1,000 words. (Just don't be blinded by white sox in an engine room -- that was just WRONG, even for Hatt owner....)

;)

Angela
10-23-2006, 07:14 PM
I'm not sure what more I can say that everyone else hasn't already said, except "me too!"

For me, after the classic lines, Hargrave drawn quality yacht, etc. arguments, it got down to affordability. I didn't, and still don't, have an extra million or two to buy a new boat, and that's what I'd need to get into a boat the size of what I got. When I bought my Cruisers, Inc. express cruiser, I did the same thing - bought the boat after she had fully depreciated and then sold her for a wee bit more than I paid for her two and a half years earlier.

But putting the financial aspect aside, I'd still buy a classic, older Hatteras. The new ones just are not appealing to me, not even the new Hatteras motor yachts. Ed and I sometimes have those daydreaming wishful discussions, like what would be buy if we won the lottery. Funny thing is that the answer is always the same...we'd keep putting it in the boat we already have.

(Nobody You Know)
10-23-2006, 07:18 PM
Woody,

I part of the year I keep my boat at a club in Carolina Beach, NC. Every so often someone comes in with a brand new Sea Ray. Not meaning to pick on Sea Ray (again) but you should hear the complaints. And not necessarily about Sea Ray, but DON'T THINK YOU ARE GONNA GET OUT OR REPAIRS BY BUYING A NEW BOAT! Doesen't matter who made it. Depending on the dealer and mfg. the headachs of getting things corrected are enormous. I know, I hear them ventilate.

While older used boats do require more maintenance - and expense - don't forget about the woping hit you will take in depreciation when you buy that new boat.

About shorter new boats, if you want something of proven quality (IMHO) you better start looking at Hinkleys, Grand Banks, and maybe Sabre Line - pretty expensive investments. I am told that one of the reasons Hatteras doesen't make anything under 50' anymore is that a good quality say 40'er cost allmost as much to mfg. as the (qualilty) 50'er. (I'm sure marketing also comas into play).

As it has been expressed, and older Hatty that passes a ridgorous survey is not a bad investment.

Seems I recall you mentioning on a previous thread something about a wife and two small children?? I'll give you something else to think about, come the lazy days of summer cruising and enjoying many of days of water activities with a growing family (and their friends - the kids) a bigger Hatty with a dishwasher and washer/dry is a no brainer! After the first season you will wonder why there was even a debate!

Go buy a new Cruisers, Sea ray or Silverton, We'll be talking with you again! :D

Capt'n Bill
(former yacht broker)
"$100,000 don't buy s_ _ _ anymore".
Allen Houston
Wilmington, NC

thoward
10-23-2006, 07:36 PM
I would also add you should look at what happened to the boats hit by hurricanes. The newer cored boats were ripped from their morings/dockage, beat to snot and ultimately sunk. Many of your older "quality" boats survived with minimal damage. Living in Florida we were not willing to take that chance.

67hat34c
10-23-2006, 07:47 PM
We did it for a few reasons. like the look of older boats, hatteras name, and thought this would be a cheeper way to own one. the only thing i was wrong on is the last reason, no way this is cheeper way to own a boat like this or is it?

Initial cash outlay was low, improvements and repairs we did mostly ourselves although we have spent way more than it is worth in the last 3-4 years, total cost is still less money than the initial cash outlay for the Tiara we were strongly considering and have way more boat as well.

A plus to working on one of these is it keeps your brain and body exercised, opperating a newer boat that needs no work is one thing but building one and inventing stuff is a real satisfying experience especialy when the inventions and improvements come out well. You must be mechanicaly enclined and enjoy this kind of thing to make it worth while, in my opinion. I believe the hard core memebers of this forum fit this description. Everyone here has techniques they came up with or borrowed and custimized etc. Many of us have inventions or ideas that we implement, case in point, Pascals Dingy.....still very cool. I am getting ready to install an anchor roller system that I came up with what i believe to be an original mounting device. Scott has seen the rough on this, parts are now complete and to be installed this weekend. will post photos once I know it works properly.

ohiohatteras
10-23-2006, 08:18 PM
They are CLASSIC.....kinda like a 57 Chevy or 55 T-bird!
Plus....they are few and far between where I cruise...Lake Erie.....which is Sea Ray country..... :eek:

Woodsong
10-23-2006, 08:28 PM
I agree with what you all are saying...most of it is exactly what appeals to me to buy a 30 year old boat and you know...I would not even think of or consider buying a boat that old from any other manufacturer. My lack of mechanical abilities is a bit of a concern, or rather, it is really a lack of interest in learning things mechanical but that may change. :D

I've looked at the Cruisers Yachts MY's and they have a good amount of "bling" on the newer ones and I would be very happy to own one but it is a lot of plastic. A 3 stateroom layout so far is pretty critical to us though and there are only a couple of boats that offer that size in a layout we like.

Sea ray...I honestly have not found one yet that I even come close to liking the layout of. Their express cruisers are of absolutely NO interest to me and their flybridge boats are not much better. I am yet to figure out what all the hype is about them (no offense sea ray owners!) for the amount of $$ they are.

Boss Lady
10-23-2006, 08:49 PM
QUALITY!!!!!!! SEAWORTHY, RIDE, and great people! When you find all that with another boat, please let us know, because then there will then be two great boats available to choose from. Until then there is only Hatteras. There are a few examples of some truely custom boats that make it to old age, but show me other 30-40 year old boats in the quantity of Hatteri there are still seaworthy, and you will soon discover why Hat is in a class by itself. What is also amazing is that most every Hatteras ever made is still going strong, including the very first Hatteras. It is a free country, so you are free to make bad choices if you want to. All the other boats are what I call learner boats, you buy one and then learn you should have bought a Hatteras.

Jaxfishgyd
10-23-2006, 08:54 PM
You think a Hatteras is more seaworthy than this boat :rolleyes:

http://towndock.net/shipping/2006_10_01_shiparchive.html

But you have to give them credit for making the trip

Boss Lady
10-23-2006, 09:04 PM
Can you spell "eccentric"? LOL!!!!

Pascal
10-23-2006, 09:08 PM
i'll throw a few things, in random order...

- i needed a 3 stateroom comfortable boat which meant in the 50 ft range. between the average 1 million + 50 footer and an old hatt in the 200k range, the choice was very simple... :-) there was nothing even close to the 53MY in modern production (under 15 years old).

- classic lines.. the chlorox bottle doenst' do it for me... it's funny, last week a transient 1990 60+ hatt pulled in the slip across from mine. 2 boats over from a carver ... you know, the 50 or 55 enclosed bridge, aft cabin, cockpit, stubby bow wedding cake... the contrast was incerdible.

- interior... ok, many larger and expensive boats have some wood work but many have a lot of plastic and vinyl... not the veneers found in our boats.

- quality... that's a no brainer... and then you also have the fact that HAtteras is still standing behind these old boats... this is why they are holding their values pretty well. why do you thing the average 50 ft taiwan trawler 15 years newer cost the same as a hatt of a similar size ? a few days ago, i saw a Marquis (you know, the lexus of carvers... build by carver but rebadged for an upscale price tag)... fairly recent boat, they've only been around for a few years, the gel coat was completly dull. That wedding cake i mentioned? sight the hull at the right angle and you can see riples...

i don't buy this thing about newer boats being less hassle... i can tell you that my neighbor 40ish sea ray, 2 or 3 years old, is often being worked on and used far less than my old Hatt ! so far in 3 years and 500 hours, the only mechanical issue i've had was the port starter 2 weeks ago.. other than a fuel priming issue. that would have been no big deal with a priming pump but i made it home feeding the port engine from the generator electric fuel pump! try this with a new electronic engine...

browse forums (boaterEd, boatUS,e tc...) and will see many owners complainging about maintenance issues on their new boats.

my boat isnt' perfect, no boats are, but it really can't see anything in newer boats that woudl make me want to switch, even if teh price was the same.

Boatsb
10-23-2006, 09:27 PM
I cant speak for everyone but I wanted a boat that would out last me. I bought a 41c ( battlewagon ) because I know its 1 step short of indestructable. I hit squalls 35+ miles out and the boat was just solid and didn't pound once at 15 Kts. Not bat for 8-10 foot seas, closely packed and breaking in 45-60 MPH winds. Could another boat handle that. Sure. betrams, Vikings, Posts ... lesser boats could also survive that but I came through it with no damage except the water from the open windows and portholes. In 30 years this boat will be as solid as today and 70+ yrs old. Since its affordable and so solid why look at anything else?

old41
10-23-2006, 09:38 PM
Because I had a 1967 41C 30 years ago and I found a 1965 3 years ago that was in better shape.

MarioG
10-23-2006, 10:07 PM
Because any other manufacture could have made 2 boats with all of the materials that Hatteras used to build our boat.

Our 41 year old 34' has an 1 1/2" thick hull .

spartonboat1
10-23-2006, 11:43 PM
What influenced purchase:
> Hatt first rate reputation,
> Broker sales pitches how great Hatt's are
> Big mutha's, nice to have

What I really didn't know:
>Phenomenal build strength- exceeds any expectation I had- only now do I really comprehend, esp. compared to other boats...over and over I post that for a given hull the Hatt weighs 8-20K #'s more...only one place for that extra strength is in the hull! Hatt runs a solid fiberlass hull (except for brief fling with coring) that is incredibly strong;
>> e.g. was working on a holding tank and had to beat on a fitting...but the fiberlass felt like I was hitting solid steel...incredibly strong,
>> Major yard showed me the round fiberglass section they cut out of Hatt hull to install stabilizers- unbelieveably tough section of fiberlass,
>> posted picture of big battlewagon 60' or so Hatt after going ashore in hurricane- took out telephone-pole sized pilings and pounded against a concrete wall, but I don't believe so much as broke a window

None of the electrical, hydralics or other "systems" are flimsy...first rate stuff!

Seakeeping almost without peer--- I spoke to a new Viking owner of a 60' CNV who had taken a beating in seas in which my 43' MY would ride decently
>> see many other posts on the ride

I know the older boats, esp. from the 70's, were built before "they could control quality" (quote from Hatt engineer), i.e. heavier build, more resin. Some studies even indicate that rather that suffering fatigue, the resins are somehow increasing in strength by developing adaptive patterns around through hulls that may reduce stress risers. True? I don't know.

So only after owning one for 10 years do I really comprehend the design and build strength quality. So rave reviews might be a selling point, but ownership makes a true believer.

No these are not $200M 400' giga yachts, but for a production boat, I think they are a high water mark.
my 2cw

GeorgeJW
10-24-2006, 07:05 AM
Because I lucked into a great broker (not intended to be an oxymoron) in Annapolis who first educated me on what a larger quality boat meant, and then took the time to go through those available eliminating all but Hatts, Post and a Viking...go figure. His advice was exactly in line with the earlier thoughts on this thread. Fell in love with the beautiful woodwork and took the dive (my first big boat...moved from a 17' runabout to my 43...insurance company gasped...they got over it). Took only a few months to "sell" the admiral...now if I were to try and sell, she would sell me and keep Waveaway....hmmm.
George

Rickysa
10-24-2006, 08:19 AM
I stumbled onto a 31 Bertram knowing nothing about sportfishing boats, and learned what a sea-worthy boat is all about. When we decided to go bigger, the only option was a Hatt...bought one without ever having been on one just because of the reputation and couldn't be happier.

jim rosenthal
10-24-2006, 08:42 AM
When I bought my Hatteras, I wanted a small-to-midsize convertible that was well made and I couldn't afford a new boat. (full disclosure: I have never owned a new boat and not too many new cars either). I has also had three prior boats which were not fiberglass/FRP and I didn't want the headaches of a wood or metal boat again. Mostly I liked the looks of a Hatteras and had a vague idea that they were better built than the competition. I actually didn't know too much about them.

Esthetics are a matter of taste. Build quality and seaworthiness are NOT a matter of taste; they are a matter of survival in some cases, although I try not to go out in weather like that. However, you don't always have a choice about what you get caught in.

Reputation is something that takes decades to build. For most of the time that I have owned my Hatteras, this forum did not exist, and indeed Sam's is a relatively recent addition as well. So, for all that time, and decades before my time, the factory supported their older boats. Very few manufacturers have done this. Although I didn't know about the factory support when I bought the boat, it has helped me a great deal, first the factory, then Sam's.

It is true that Hatteras Yachts are in a different class. While they are not the only well-made boat out there, their consistency of quality has earned them a reputation that other makers would dearly love to have. Most of them never will. Part of that reputation rests on the fact that Hatteras was instrumental in founding the industry of building large power boats in FRP, and pioneered a lot of the technology (sometimes in a very non-technical way, but that's okay). Most other manufacturers owe a lot to Hatteras and the people that made the company.

My boat required a complete restoration, essentially, a process that continues to this day. I find that although I am glad that the major work is over (at least I think it is), I very much enjoy the process of updating things, figuring out better ways to do things, making her safer, faster, and more comfortable. In this respect, I have decided that a very high-quality fiberglass boat- a Hatteras or similar- is the ideal one for me to have- there is enough work to do to satisfy my appetite for tinkering, a solid basis on which to improve, and I am spared the incredible maintenance tasks that go with a vintage wood boat. In our club, we have vintage Trumpys, Matthews, Chris-Crafts, etc. While I admire the owners for their dedication, I am not going to attempt that again. No way. Wood belongs on the inside, not the outside.

There are very few boats that you can buy, improve, use a lot, and still sell for something near what you have in them. There is no mystery to this- it has to do with buying something that has reached the bottom of the depreciation curve and is at least holding steady, if not going up. I feel that same way about my old Mercedes cars; they were well-made to begin with, and if maintained, they will continue to be a pleasure to drive and own, and be worth at least what I paid for them. The goal is to buy a boat that was well-made enough to begin with that it is still around and floating when it reaches the bottom of the curve. All boats depreciate- it's owning one that still continues to float that's the trick, so that the price sinks but the boat doesn't.

Finally, owning a Hatteras has admitted me to a group of like-minded people which has been a great deal of fun and very educational. Much of that has to do with the existence of this forum. I have visited other forums and there are communities centered around other boats that are a lot like this one- Chris-Craft Commanders, for one. The same spirit of enjoyment and assistance prevails. And the same spirit of appreciation for boats that were sturdy, seaworthy and beautiful when they were made.

As much as I like looking at new boats, they don't make me dream of owning one. They make me glad I have a good old boat. What I have found out through owning a Hatteras is that a thing of beauty really is a joy forever.

Now, as to the Ferrari, I've been there, done that, and let me tell you, the bang/buck ratio there is NOT a favorable one....

Freebird
10-24-2006, 09:03 AM
Owning an older Hatteras, for me, was the realization of a childhood dream. When I was in high school (graduated 1975), all my buddies wanted hot rod Camaros and Mustangs. I grew up in a small middle class town, so Vette's were beyond the dreams of most of us. My dream ride was a 69-72 Chevy Blazer. I was an extremely shy (yeah really!) introverted guy with few really close friends. It would seem everybody was afraid of me because I wasn't into dope smoking and drinking. I was into boats, fishing, and hunting. Hell, I didn't go on my first date until I was 19! I liked girls, but I was too damn shy to ask one out!

Sorry for the auto-biography, but in 1979 I bought a '72 Blazer that I still own today. It was a cherry one owner with 40k miles when I bought it. Now it's a cherry two owner with 112k miles. It stays parked in my warehouse at work, and it gives me instant recognition as being a good ole' boy when my customers see it. I could sell it 10 times a week, but would never consider it.

I own two Hatteras yachts now which are listed in my signature. I really didn't mean to have two at once, it just worked out that way. As of now, it's a good thing I have both with the problems I'm facing at home. I always wanted to live on a boat, and I guess I've been granted my wish. Not exactly what I had in mind there either, but when I get down here to my 58 in FL, I feel like the weight of the world has been lifted off my shoulders.

Okay, enough, back to the tech, tech, tech part of this thread! :D

Old Hatts in good shape are a great investment. Buy a good one, or buy a decent one and fix it up, and you will never lose a dime when you re-sell it.

Old Hatts stand out in a crowd and are the epitome of design excellence that few have been able to match. Their classic lines will never go out of style.

Old Hatts will outlive you if you take care of them.

Old Hatts are rare because by today's standards, Hatteras didn't build very many.

Last but not least, pride of ownership in having something special. You won't be passing yourself every 10 minutes, especially in the area where you intend to do your boating. I can count on one hand the number of Hatts I know of on the section of the Tennessee River I run on. For that matter, Pat and I have the only two Hatts in our marina in FL.

I've had a number of requests for pictures of my 41DC, including yours, so I'll make a blanket apology here. I didn't realize I had left the disc with pictures here on my boat in FL. I'll forward them to interested parties when I get back. Only problem now is, if I sell my 41, I'll have to put a bed in my office in TN. Hell, won't be the first time I've done that either, so don't feel bad about making me homeless in TN! :D

34Hatt
10-24-2006, 09:03 AM
Go buy a new Cruisers, Sea ray or Silverton, We'll be talking with you again!

Capt'n Bill

Yeah and don't forget Mainship. Had a neighbor in my marina last year brand new boat missed most of the season chasing problems. It had so many that in the fall the boat went back to the Factory :eek:

So for me it was a friend who put the bug in my year. He told me I know the way you are and if you are going to fix up a old boat buy a HATTERAS. I also like a challenge and like bring things back from the Dead.

Freebird
10-24-2006, 09:20 AM
When I bought my Hatteras, I wanted a small-to-midsize convertible that was well made and I couldn't afford a new boat. (full disclosure: I have never owned a new boat and not too many new cars either).

Now, as to the Ferrari, I've been there, done that, and let me tell you, the bang/buck ratio there is NOT a favorable one....

Forgive me for taking this one off course, but I had you pegged for a high dollar "Grey Poohpon-er" there Doc! I reckon you're just a working man like me after all! :D See what we'd miss with all tech, tech, tech only threads?

I've owned a bunch of fancy cars, new and old, but never a Ferrari. As for "bang/buck ratio", I always heard it cost big bucks when they went bang! I always thought of them as being like good looking women with bad attitudes. Sure, they're nice to look at, but you can't take 'em anywhere! I used this analogy when I told my friends why I broke up with a real beauty many years ago. I said she was like a Ferrari with a worn out Pinto engine!

Paul45c
10-24-2006, 10:11 AM
Call it restoration fatigue, I guess, but I came within a whisker of selling my 45c very early this year. I meticulously went through everything on the boat and I mean everything. My plan was to approach it in this way so that I didn't get nickled & dimed on little things breaking all the time. Well, it didn't quite work out that way. Any of these boats are pretty complex beasties with loads of mechanical & electrical systems. There's ALWAYS gonna be something to chase.

I was thinking the grass would be greener with a 32-33' new express boat with 4-stroke outboard power. Loads less maintenance, right? Maybe. Depends on the boat, I guess, apart from the obviously smaller amount of boat to wash down. But how much do washdowns figure into a ratio of the total owner maintenance program? Not that much. And for the jobs you need to do on the smaller boats, the nastiness factor of said jobs can be compounded pretty badly by piss-poor access. So many of the manufacturers today make it damned near impossible to get at pumps, wiring junctions, cable runs, etc. I'd looked at Grady-White, for instance...no one's gonna quibble with GW's reputation for build strength and support, but you should see where they stick the generator on the 33 express! Good lord, you'd have to be an underweight 8-year-old to even slide far enough into the transom to pull the sound shielf off! Reaching seacocks also requires some contortionism, so they recognize this by building long rods onto the seacock handles. Uh, I don't know that I want to trust that kind of convoluted mechanical rig while I'm out in crap conditions and for some reason need to get that seacock closed NOW!

Hatteras design just fits my philosophy on boats. They're never the fastest, or falling prey to the latest fads in boat design -- they just do things that make sense. An example? How is a sportfish that can top out around 25kts. not fast enough? I'm sure plenty make the case that you absolutely need 35 kt cruise for tournaments. So, if they were making my boat today, instead of twin 6v92 500's, there would be 850hp MANs or something. With what we've had for fuel prices recently, would you want to suck up that much more fuel? In 1984, the 45c was considered hot iron. Times change, design philosophies change. This older design just fits me better. I like fwd salon windows...you gonna find that in today's 45c made by anybody? Uh uh. I could go on, but you get the point.

JLR
10-24-2006, 11:11 AM
Several reasons. First, I loved the beam on my 56 MY. The smallest Hat with the largest beam. Second, the ride. She rides like a tank. Sure, she only cruises at 16 kts but that's fine. Third, she was a fresh water boat and although a 1981 model (bought by me in 1998), she showed like new. Fourth. I paid in 1998 about what she sold for new in 1981. I also expect to sell her, when I do, and get what I paid for in 1998. The depreciation curve has flattened out and that is good for me. Fifth, I can call Roger Wetherington at Hatteras and speak to the man who wired my boat in 1981. There is no substitute for that kind of service in my mind.

Freebird
10-24-2006, 11:29 AM
I can call Roger Wetherington at Hatteras and speak to the man who wired my boat in 1981. There is no substitute for that kind of service in my mind.

Excellent point! I have had occasion to contact several manufacturers of different things in my day, but the Hatt folks are the most proficient on any subject I've run by them.

It would seem their company breeds as much loyalty in their employees as they do in their customers. Sea Ray, for example, seems to go through employees faster than McDonalds from what I saw when I was a Sea Ray guy. It is indeed nice to find folks at Hatteras who still know what we are talking about when we ask a question about a 40 year old boat.

Here's to you Hatteras!!!

67hat34c
10-24-2006, 01:34 PM
Randy you are right, Hatteras employees and ex employees are very helpful. Steve Mcpherson put me in contact with a retired factory worker when i was chasing a vintage controll for my steering. The guy was glad to talk to me, even remembered the person who singed the inside of the helm, Jerry. Who he informed me was a guy named Jerry Evans who is still around.

Bertramp
10-24-2006, 01:44 PM
I have a 35 year old boat because I love the classic look and (very important here) .... I'm poor !!
If I could buy a brand new 50 (think that's the smallest Hatt now makes), believe me .... I'd do it, but current prices dictate a used boat. Other big factor is .... with a new boat you take the depreciation hit. I can't get THAT hurt with an oldie.

Besides .... which would you rather say "I have a brand new Ford Taurus or I have a 53 T-bird"

Capt.Erich
10-24-2006, 03:00 PM
You think a Hatteras is more seaworthy than this boat :rolleyes:

http://towndock.net/shipping/2006_10_01_shiparchive.html

But you have to give them credit for making the trip

I happen to live in that neck of the woods. That little town is considered the "sailing capitol" of the south. You get to see all kinds of things that happen to float. I met a guy one night at the local watering hole there who had "left everything behind" and was headding to Key West in his "yacht". His yacht was a 23 foot day sailor with beautiful blue sails made from Wal Mart blue tarps. The best part of the story was that I ran into him in Key West the next winter.

Having read all of the reasons why everyone else bought a Hatt just reaffirms my thoughts on the topic. I have been on many sea trials and thought... Holy Crap... I'm glad I'm on a Hatt... I can't believe we just did that to this boat. I've also seen them up close and personal after hard groundings, playing bumber boats, layed up on a concrete piling, half sunk but still floating, after riding out a Nor'Easter offshore, etc.

It comes down to this... Hatteras builds a boat that laughs at Neptune and has exceeded all expectations of the idustry and owners.

jim rosenthal
10-24-2006, 03:11 PM
Some of the early Hatteras ads addressed how tough the boats were, and the storms they had survived....this was before the unwritten rule came into play that you could only show attractive, clean, happy people in boat ads. Like this has anything to do with reality.....

I am grateful to be doing something I love for a living, and make a decent income at it. However, I don't see wasting money, and I like the idea that when I'm done with something, if I've taken care of it as I ought to have, it's still worth something. I don't expect to come out even, necessarily, but I won't argue with it if I do. What I DON'T want is to get hosed financially just because whoever made it didn't build in value and long life. And, as Eric, told me many many years ago, "always think about the next owner after you". When I'm done with my toys, someone else will want them- if my nephews or my godchildren don't get them. :D

Nonchalant1
10-24-2006, 04:11 PM
For me it's 3 simple things:

1. I love a Hatteras and I can't afford a new one. Plus, Hatteras doesn't make one a small as my 53MY anymore.

2. In addition, you get the experience, support and friendship of the greatest bunch of people in any forum anywhere. The Hatteras Owner's forum.

3. And you get the parts and knowledge support of Sam's Marine.

No other boats have anything like that. I'd ask not why would I buy a Hatteras, but why would I buy anything else?

Doug Shuman

the kuz
10-24-2006, 05:47 PM
I'm sure many of you have stories like this, but it's the main reason why I'm glad to own a Hat. First year we owned our series one 36C (1992) the wife and I got caught out 45 miles southeast of Diamond shoals (the fishing was great and the storm was 12 hours early, my bad). It blew up 53 KNTS N/NE - sideways heavy rain, wave tops blowing off in sheets, making 7-8 KNTs, squaring up for each big wave (they sure looked like 20+ ft to me) in quartering seas and still taking thick water over the flybridge whenever a wave broke at the wrong moment. The wife inside the salon, and me strapped to the steering station on the flybridge trying to see where I was going and watch the loran and GPS to navigate back to the waypoint we set 1 mile off Oregon Inlet. After 5 or 6 hours we finally caught the lee of the north jetty about 100 yards short of the bridge after running that nasty inlet in heavy following seas. Once inside, a check below revealed all was well and we docked at Pirates Cove, cleaned up the floor of the down gally, re-checked the bilges (dry), and crashed for the night in almost dry bunks in the forward stateroom. A comprehensive examination of the entire boat the next day revealed one broken coffee cup, a broken towel rack, and lots of stuff out of place. We were unhurt (except for my salt crusted red eyes), a little sore, a little wiser, and with a much greater respect for both mother nature and that little Hat. Not sure we would have made it back in a lesser boat. Watch that weather! Regards, Bob K

captddis
10-24-2006, 06:02 PM
I have always said to people that If you have a good boat it will save you when you screw up. The Hatts fit the bill.

SeaSwick
10-24-2006, 06:14 PM
Because I said I was going to get one when I was 7!

It only took 37 years, and then the right boat (1960 41' Trunkcabin Conv) turned up at the wrong time & in the wrong place. But… I bought her anyway, sight unseen (knowing she needed everything) & had her trucked from Texas. The driver said she felt more like a sixty footer than a forty footer.

But I digress…

A friend of my Dad’s replaced his 42’ Matthews, with a 1962 41’ Trunkcabin in 1964. Bill Shanks had his boats in his backyard on a canal in Bayshore LI, NY & would move the ALL ABOARD to Montauk during the season.

We spent many days onboard over the years, and that boat was unforgettable from the first day aboard, right through the end (Sadly, she burned to the gunnels in Fl in the early 1980’s). In any harbor she turned heads, even approaching 20 years old.

Shanks ran & fished her hard, as Willis Slane intended, while maintaining her in Bristol condition. His stories of what that boat went through, as well as a few first hand experiences convinced me he was serious when he said that Hatteras was the only boat on the water that can take more punishment than any owner or crew.

One memorable story (I wasn’t aboard), which he readily admitted was his error, was while fishing for Swordfish near the rip, north of Block Island, RI. (Yes, you used to be able to catch Swords & yes, this is an old story). Shanks was in the tower, watching the action below, when the ALL ABOARD “got” into the rip broadside & was knocked over flat on her beam. He was thrown from the tower, managing to grab a rail, when his other arm jammed around an antenna base. He was hanging with his feet in the water as the Hatt lay out prone.

His first thought was ‘She’s not coming back,’ but as she righted herself, he hoisted himself back to the tower controls and got her out of the rip. No-one went over the side, but the crew aboard were all beat-to-hell & the boat was a shambles below. When asked what got broken aboard, Shanks would always say “Everything that wasn’t Hatteras.”

My main “witness” account was in my late teens with my Dad, we joined him for a run off of Montauk. Our not having done any offshore fishing, we weren’t going to fish, (even with no wives or daughters aboard) but Shanks wanted to go out ‘to see what & who was around.’ He loved being aboard that boat.

On the way out, the ALL ABOARD was passed by the newer, faster Oceans, Eggs & Pacemakers. They all knew each other & they gave Shanks unlimited grief on the radio at his 18-20 knot cruise, as they passed in the high 20’s.

At the end of the day a real nasty, steep, windblown chop mixed in with the swells & it was a head-on run back to Montauk. It was a very mixed-up mess of a sea. The ALL ABOARD set her bow at her favorite running angle (no tabs on her), & she flattened everything in her way. We were very comfortable on the bridge and nothing slowed her off her cruise speed.

During the 90+ minute run back, several of the newer boats that were teasing her earlier in the day, had fallen in behind the ALL ABOARD to follow her in, much happier hiding in the mill-pond smooth following wake of the Hatteras. They had been getting pounded to pieces & if they hadn’t “found” the ALL ABOARD, would have had to slog back off-plane. One look through the binoculars revealed that the other boats' crews had been hanging on for dear-life.

Shanks said it happened all the time.

captddis
10-24-2006, 06:51 PM
The only speed that matters is the speed you can maintain in a chop. I can't count the times I have been on a Hatteras or a Be----m that had a mid 20s cruise. Would head out in the morning and all the hot shots with their Jersey built speedsters would lead the way out. After a half hour you would hear over the VHF about having to drop down to 13 kts because of the pounding. Meanwhile we are having a nice ride at regular cruise. We would never see them again.
A number of years ago I took a 40DC TO NY. Ran offshore almost all the way. Came in after a day in slighty bumpy conditions. A Ocean came in behind us who lost his antennas and worked all the FB mounting screws out.
The captain said the boat could not take another day like that!
The Ocean captain told us what a slow boat we had. I walked around the parking lot and picked up screws and presented them to the captain, telling him we had to slow down to pick up pieces of his boat.
I hear people say that people who buy Hatts are paying for the name, I laugh to myself knowing they will learn the hard way. There IS a difference.

mstailey
10-24-2006, 10:11 PM
Captddis,
So true, so true. If you look at the members pictures of my boat the first picture is running the St. Clair River. Now folks around here in MI will attest to the fact that given the right circumstances that river can get down right sporty. If you notice the Hatt flag on the bow - it's straight back. Not due to speed (43's don't go that fast) rather it's due to a 20 knot head wind. You will also notice there is about 2-3 ft chop at a very short frequency.

I ran that boat for 2.5 hours in the river at 15 knots. No embellishment, I have a picture frame that sits on top of the table in the salon and is not secured in any way. The picture was still in the same spot undistrubed at the end of the trip! There was also a 41' SeaRay and a 28' Wellcraft running single file behind me as they tried a couple of times to jump my wake or run the river outside of me. Ultimately both of them just gave up and tucked in.

This is why I own a Hatteras.

egaito
10-24-2006, 10:16 PM
Several reasons. First, I loved the beam on my 56 MY. The smallest Hat with the largest beam. Second, the ride. She rides like a tank. Sure, she only cruises at 16 kts but that's fine. Third, she was a fresh water boat and although a 1981 model (bought by me in 1998), she showed like new. Fourth. I paid in 1998 about what she sold for new in 1981. I also expect to sell her, when I do, and get what I paid for in 1998. The depreciation curve has flattened out and that is good for me. Fifth, I can call Roger Wetherington at Hatteras and speak to the man who wired my boat in 1981. There is no substitute for that kind of service in my mind.

Funny you mention Roger...when I purchased mine, a 1968, a surveyor I know got one of the engineers from that era on the phone. He was still happy to talk about her, and to re-assurem me that the repower with 2x the horsepower wouldn't overstress the hull.

Recently, I was thinking about electrical bits, and asked the surveyor again....and she pulled up the chief electrical engineer's number, who I'm sure would be just as happy to hear from me.

As much as I loved the Cruisers I had, and sold Ang, to double the HP in that boat would have twisted it in half. With that boat, a mid-80's model, to call and ask a question, you would find really helpful people that knew nothing about boats that weren't just a few years old.

spartonboat1
10-24-2006, 10:17 PM
Captddis,
So true, so true. If you look at the members pictures of my boat the first picture is running the St. Clair River. Now folks around here in MI will attest to the fact that given the right circumstances that river can get down right sporty. If you notice the Hatt flag on the bow - it's straight back. Not due to speed (43's don't go that fast) rather it's due to a 20 knot head wind. You will also notice there is about 2-3 ft chop at a very short frequency.

I ran that boat for 2.5 hours in the river at 15 knots. No embellishment, I have a picture frame that sits on top of the table in the salon and is not secured in any way. The picture was still in the same spot undistrubed at the end of the trip! There was also a 41' SeaRay and a 28' Wellcraft running single file behind me as they tried a couple of times to jump my wake or run the river outside of me. Ultimately both of them just gave up and tucked in.

This is why I own a Hatteras.

While we should be meek in life, it is difficult not to be smug when those who would pass us drop back in behind. I have also had that happen in the open Lake Huron, and the other boats were actually flying up in the air, when trying to pass, while we were somewhat sedate in movement at full cruise. Yes, they fell back behind. This does not include running out with 5 or 6 in the lead in the river, until they hit the big water. Within a mile we were alone and they were headed back in.

egaito
10-24-2006, 10:25 PM
So just about everything I could possibly say about why I picked an older Hatt has been said by others, but there was another overwhelming influence on me beyond these aspects.

As a "kid" in the computer business, Hatteras was a customer. After a few trips out to the plant, my contact could see I was already a boat nut, already knew something of Hatts, and took me into the plant.

Well, let me tell you, it was all over from that day on. I had to have one

From the Smuggler's Special (these were the days of Miami Vice) to the Nicaraquan gun boats with 50 cal mounts in their foredecks, to the joinery on the "regular" hatts they were building.....it was a done deal.

Then looking, and I did look at other brands as a gut check, there was simply no comparison in the way the Hatts had stood the test of time compared to others in the same size/price range.

For some reason I had already gotten over the idea that boats "get old" Sure, a 1980's Carver looks and feels "old". The lines always looked dated, the quality was spotty, the values dropped like a rock. But do well maintained Hatt's ever really get "old"? The lines are classic enough to always be in style. The hulls are tough enough to take out marina's during storms. The wood is wood, and everything else is a maintenance part that can still be maintained......

Are we biased, sure. But for good reason!

Woodsong
10-24-2006, 10:35 PM
As much as I loved the Cruisers I had, and sold Ang, to double the HP in that boat would have twisted it in half. With that boat, a mid-80's model, to call and ask a question, you would find really helpful people that knew nothing about boats that weren't just a few years old.

Well, it appears there is a theme here amongst some of the hatteri folks....owning a Cruisers Yacht, selling it quickly to another enthusiast, and getting a hatteras. Considering that I have a Cruisers right now myself (2003 model 3372, LOA 37'6"), I suggest we continue this tradition of passing on our Cruisers for the hatteras replacement. Who here is going to step up to the plate so that I can experience first hand the joys of owning a classic hatteras? Surely someone here can see it ought to be their civic duty to buy my current boat! :)

Angela
10-24-2006, 11:10 PM
Well, it appears there is a theme here amongst some of the hatteri folks....owning a Cruisers Yacht, selling it quickly to another enthusiast, and getting a hatteras. Considering that I have a Cruisers right now myself (2003 model 3372, LOA 37'6"), I suggest we continue this tradition of passing on our Cruisers for the hatteras replacement. Who here is going to step up to the plate so that I can experience first hand the joys of owning a classic hatteras? Surely someone here can see it ought to be their civic duty to buy my current boat! :)
No, to keep the tradition, you have to recruite someone who does not yet know or appreciate the Hatteras, and then the tradition will be that that person who buys the Cruisers will move up into a Hatteras in a couple of years...and so on. :D

Maynard Rupp
10-25-2006, 03:00 PM
Wev bought ours because of the construction and looks. I am an airplane mechanic and look at boats with a critical eye. All other brands look awful when you do a little digging. When we first decided to look for a 35 to 38 ft. cruiser, a friend of mine that sells all kinds of used boats and is a surveyor, said don't even consider anything except a Hatteras or a Bertram. We looked at lots of Bertrams and I think they are put together like a pickup camper. When you have a limited budget, can't afford to lose lots of money over time, and want an awesome boat, a Hatteras is the only choice.

nyrussell
10-26-2006, 12:59 PM
When the Admiral and I started looking at living aboard late last year (right around this time, actually) we looked at a lot of sail boats and only one Hatteras (or motoryacht). Never regretted the decision to by this girl. From having a dirty fuel tank and having an engine stop while entering a marina in a stong head wind (remind me in the spring to get the damage fixed LOL, just in time for the season in NY-NJ) to hitting confused seas off the UN on the Admirals second time driving her we felt safe and secure every time we have gone out. As for why a Hatteras.... The Reputation for getting one home.

BTW week 39, still need to fix up a nursery on our 40DC

Noel

Wild Bill
10-27-2006, 08:28 PM
After reading all these posts, I come to one conclusion which happens to fit very well with why I bought an old Hatt.

It's a labor of love.

These are fine old ships. They were built for the sea. They deserve to be at sea. Forevermore.

MikeP
10-27-2006, 10:02 PM
Because a new Bayliner, Carver, Silverton, or SeaRay in the 50+ ft range was way too expensive so we had no choice but to settle for something we could afford.

YES, I'm kidding. We bought a Hatt for all the same reasons everyone else here has covered! It's proven itself to be worth every penny and then some!