PDA

View Full Version : What RPM? - your thoughts please...

mstailey
09-26-2006, 02:02 PM
I'm having a bit of trouble understanding what Cummins is recommending for operating RPM on my VT-903-M1. Note my CPL plate states advertised HP is 340

I can't scan / transfer from my Marine Operations Manual to a readable document so I'll type it in for view.

================================================== ======

Table 1: Cummins Marine Diesel Engine Ratings
VT-903-M1 Pleasure 340 hp @ 2800
Light Duty 295 hp @ 2600
Continuous 255 hp @ 2300

Boat and Ship Engine Ratings (Ref. Table 1)
------------------------------------------------
Pleasure Boat Rating
This is the maximum rating and is intended for use in variable load applications where the average load factor does not exceed the continuous rating and where full throttle operation does not exceed 15 minutes duration in any one hour.

Light Duty Commericial Rating
This rating is intended for use in applications where the average load factor does not exceed the continuous rating and where full throttle at this rating does not exceed eight hours total in any 24-hour period

Continuous Duty Rating
This is a 24-hour continuous rating and is intended for use in applications requiring uninterrupted service at full throttle operation at this rating

Governed Speeds
All Cummins engines are equipped with governors to prevent speeds in excess of maximum of predetermined lower speed rating

The governor has two functions: First, it provides the exact amount of fuel needed for idling when the throttle is in idling position. Second, it overrides the throttle and shuts off fuel if engine rpm exceeds the maximum rated speed.

Operate At Reduced RPM for Extended Cruising
For normal cruising operation, maintain engine rpm at approximately 85 percent of rated rpm. See Table 1, Engine Ratings. This will give adequate power as well as economical fuel consumption.

Engine governors are normally set for reduced rpm or the fuel pump at reduced fuel rate for continuous-duty operation.

================================================== ======

So, if I understand the above I should be running at 2380 RPM's (.85 X 2800)

Right?

Avenger
09-26-2006, 02:39 PM
Mike,

What is your CPL no.? I'll check and see if I have the spec on that. Also, if you happen to know your fuel pump code it would help. But 2380 sounds correct by my math.

mstailey
09-26-2006, 02:42 PM
Scrod,
CPL = 265 (stamped as 0265)

No info on the PT pump at the moment.

Thanks.

Avenger
09-26-2006, 02:52 PM
Wow, I think that's the first time I've ever seen this. Only one pump code for a CPL number. Usually I swear Cummins never built the same engine twice. :rolleyes:

Anyway, yes 2800 is the rated RPM, so 85% of that is 2380. In the interest of rounding, and since analog tachs aren't usually that precise 2350 or 2400 shouldn't make any difference as long as you're propped correctly.

mstailey
09-26-2006, 03:24 PM
Scrod,
Much thanks. Do you know if I called Cummins with my CPL # they would give me the Fuel / HP curves? I've searched to no avail on the internet, posted in boatdiesel.com but no luck.

Avenger
09-26-2006, 03:46 PM
You're welcome. Re: Cummins, I don't see why they wouldn't. Of course as this stuff ages most manufacturers want to put it behind them (especially the 9-0-nothin') If they can't help you, drop me a PM. I might know somebody who can find them, but please try Cummins first.

34Hatt
09-26-2006, 04:02 PM
Cummins help me out when I had my 504's I called and got someone very helpful. He even said he would go across the street to archives and faxed me original papers with dyno #s.
Dan

kwerges
09-27-2006, 12:34 AM
As I also own the orphan engines, I can't help but wonder at the fuel burn rate at 2350-2400 rpms. At 1400 rpms, I'm burning 10-11 gals per hour in a 1975 42c. I know, I know, if I have to worry about it, I can't afford to run it....