PDA

View Full Version : Columbus Day Regatta - Florida

Paul45c
08-28-2006, 08:35 AM
Ang had the great suggestion to open up a thread on this little rendezvous. The 101's hoping to be there with bells on. Columbus Day is Monday Oct. 9, and unless I'm mistaken, they always hold it bayside (Biscayne Bay, of course) off of Elliott Key. It's about 12 or 13 nmi s of Miami.

I'll leave it to one of the veterans of the regatta (Pascal, perhaps?) to describe how it usually goes and when it's a good idea to get there.

Sound off, all who are coming.

MarioG
08-28-2006, 11:08 AM
I'll be there if I can get our 34 down from Maryland in time. I've been going 11 years straight.

Liquid Asset
08-28-2006, 11:20 AM
I will be there, but if Randy and I dont have boats that run by the, I may need a ride to the party.

CARL GUZMAN
08-28-2006, 11:21 AM
count me in on that Party, I should have my turbo fixed in the next two weeks ,but Columbus day is on a monday? Is It better to get there on sunday???From Naples at 10 kts I'll have to leave Saturday, but you can be rest ashured I'll be trolling the straits ,and the baba que will be a blazin :D
look for the smoke cloud off mahi mahi and wahoo :D

Genesis
08-28-2006, 11:23 AM
That 'Hoo is a snake - don't you guys catch any real fish?

Just kidding... :D

Pascal
08-28-2006, 11:34 AM
the party is sataurday afternoon/night, sunday morning. most boats arrive friday night/sat morning early and most leave sunday late afternoon. Columbus day isnt really a holliday anymore...

karl, from naples at 10kts, you need a full day down to long key/ islamorada via the yacht channel (which cuts from cape sable thry florida bay to long Key) then about 6 hours up from long key to eliott... there are a couple of shallow spots along the way, in the yacht channel and north of key largo where you need to slow down a little not to dig the stern in... shallowest spots are aroudn 5 1/2 at low tide.

from what i remember, it was about 2 1/2 hours from long key to cape sable, then about 8 hours from cape sable to Everglade city.. so that shoudl be the same to marco island...

power boats anchor off the northern end of Eliott, bay side, off univertsity dock and the small beach. The sail boats stay away and anchor off sand key (the key to the north of eliott)

I have a Google Earth file on www.sandbarhopper.com with all the good cruising points for biscayne bay...

CARL GUZMAN
08-28-2006, 11:46 AM
quote from pascal :there are a couple of shallow spots along the way, in the yacht channel and north of key largo where you need to slow down a little not to dig the stern in... shallowest spots are aroudn 5 1/2 at low tide.

Yes I've been there before this spring thru Hawks chanel

how come my quotes don't appear in a window?

Freebird
08-28-2006, 12:01 PM
count me in on that Party, I should have my turbo fixed in the next two weeks ,but Columbus day is on a monday? Is It better to get there on sunday???From Naples at 10 kts I'll have to leave Saturday, but you can be rest ashured I'll be trolling the straits ,and the baba que will be a blazin :D
look for the smoke cloud off mahi mahi and wahoo :D

Hey Carl,

I'll meet you in Naples and follow you (less chance of me running aground that way!). Just toss some of that Mahi back my way would ya? :D

Hey Pat,

You are welcomed to my guest stateroom @ $150 per night, 3 night minimum. You bring the beer! :cool:

Maynard Rupp
08-28-2006, 05:21 PM
I may be a little crazy, but we should be in Miami by that time. If we can get settled with our 36C,"Unity"' we will join all you folks at Elliot Key. I can just follow Pascal eh?

Angela
08-28-2006, 09:27 PM
I can just follow Pascal eh?

That's what I do! :)

Liquid Asset
08-31-2006, 10:36 PM
Angela,

It is not looking good for Randy or I to have boats running and in Miami, do you need a Driver/Captain for your boat? I will work for free if you let me tag along and sleep on the sofa. I will even bring the RUM.

solanderi
09-01-2006, 11:17 AM
I hope I can run that way for Columbus day. Definitely a wet and wild time had by all.

P.S. The correct identification of that fish is a weehoo...... But it eats good, just the same :)

Greg
1985 45C
Hat Time

CARL GUZMAN
09-01-2006, 04:55 PM
Well (Confusious say ) wee-who go to the Columbus Day rondevzous will have fat bellies of fish :p

solanderi
09-01-2006, 05:07 PM
Right On !

Greg
1985 45C
Hat Time