PDA

View Full Version : Teak Molding Source

Pete
08-07-2006, 04:13 PM
I have a 1976 48 LRC that has the normal Afromosia interior of that era. I need to replace a cabinet drawer (long story) and need some of the drawer face perimeter molding. I am referring to the outer edge molding that Hatteras attached to the edge of the plywood panel to act as both drawer trim and a stop. Anyone know of a source for this type of teak trim molding? BTW, I checked the Sam's catalog and they do not list any wood trim. Also have checked what AFI has available and found no similar product. Thanks

Pete Drez

trogers
08-07-2006, 04:17 PM
In Miami I use a place called Shell Lumber that isn't too far from Coconut Grove marina. It's an excellent source for teak and several other more exotic woods.

Not sure how they are on shipping.

harnett
08-07-2006, 04:55 PM
Post a picture of the drawer and the deminsions. I may have some of the molding that you can use.

Liquid Asset
08-07-2006, 10:49 PM
Try World Pannel Products. They have a lot of different Items that match.

StratPlan61
08-07-2006, 11:15 PM
If you can't find any trim exactly as you need, provide me some pictures or drawings and I'll try to make you some. There isn't too much I can't make from wood. Rocking chairs are a little tough but drawers and trim not too bad. Yes, I usually cut twice (or three times) after measuring once - but that's how you stretch a project into 3 nights.
Would also need to know specifically if the molding desired is teak or ???? wood. Anyway I'd give it a shot for a Hatt' buddy. Let me know if I can help.

Bear'
1984 61' MY Strategic Plan ;)

TedZ
08-08-2006, 06:36 AM
I have bought quite a bit of afromosia from Woodworkers Supply

http://woodworkerssource.net/

My drawer faces are solid afromosia sliced on an angle believe it or not routed top and bottom with a standard outside corner bit.

Sounds like if you put square trim on the plywood and then rout it it would be the same as you have. Picture would be great!

Ted

Pete
08-08-2006, 01:27 PM
Thanks to all for the responses, suggestions, and offers. I made a poor assumption that all Hatteras boats from about 1975 to about 1988 used the same interiors, No so as I am learning. So, as requested I have taken two pictures, attached, of the front and back of a panel with the molding attached. It mearures .75 inches in both directions at its max. BTW, I did also check out World Panel, and they did not have anything close, although they do have Afromosia plywood and a location off Route 17 in eastern NC. Nice folks too.
Thanks

Pete Drez

bobk
08-09-2006, 12:59 PM
Thanks to all for the responses, suggestions, and offers. I made a poor assumption that all Hatteras boats from about 1975 to about 1988 used the same interiors, No so as I am learning. So, as requested I have taken two pictures, attached, of the front and back of a panel with the molding attached. It mearures .75 inches in both directions at its max. BTW, I did also check out World Panel, and they did not have anything close, although they do have Afromosia plywood and a location off Route 17 in eastern NC. Nice folks too.
Thanks

Pete Drez

I'm going to need some of the same or similar molding for my '81 48'MY to remake some missing galley doors. However mine has 1/2" plywood and the molding in the back of the door is flush with the plywood. If anyone finds a source, please post it. Thanks,

Bob