PDA

View Full Version : Racor CCV conversion

Diver Down
07-31-2006, 10:03 AM
Ready to do the conversion from OE foam air filters to Racor CCV filtration. Am I correct in assuming that it requires two units per engine? Also, to those of you who have already done this conversion, would you do something different if you were to go through this retrofit again? For example, do you wish you had mounted the cannisters somewhere else in the engine room, purchased larger units, used different hoses, etc.?

Genesis
07-31-2006, 10:24 AM
One CCV unit per engine... not two.....

CapetaniosG
07-31-2006, 05:41 PM
You will need one CCV unit ( it comes complete with hoses, clapms etc.) per engine but you will need two new air filters per engine if you have tween turbos. Go to Racor's web site and you'll find all the info you need. I have the CCV6000 system on my 53 MY (8v71TI) and it works great. Just do not return the "oil" to your cranckcase as recommended by Recor. Install a separate collection can which you will empty out periodically.

CapetaniosG

SKYCHENEY
07-31-2006, 07:27 PM
You can save $ by purchasing only the cannister, not the kit. Then go get your own hose and fittings. I got my CCV6000's for $300 each and then bought the K&N airfilters for about $45/each plus the hose. In total less than $1000 in the whole thing.

Liquid Asset
08-01-2006, 12:24 AM
I am about to do this conversion. I went on K&N's website, found a filter that will work and am going to order them. I found that Mid-Atlantic Engine Supply has the best price on the CCV's.

Am I correct in the sizing that I need the CCV6000's wiht my 650hp 8v92's?

Genesis
08-01-2006, 01:08 AM
The 6000s shoudl be fine, but check Racor's web site - they have a configuration tool that goes through the whole shooting match and gives you the exact parts you need.

MikeP
08-01-2006, 07:34 AM
Here are a couple of pics of the air filters and CCV 6000 installed in the Port eng room of our 53. The corrugated hoses are the "kit" hoses you can order with the CCV. As Sky said, the kit is not necessary and I wouldn't bother ordering them. The blue hose from the bottom of the CCV is the CCV drain hose which goes to a sludge collector (as do the air box drains).

Diver Down
08-01-2006, 10:01 AM
Mike,
Thanks for posting the great pics. Impressive engine!! Looks too clean to operate. What is the material on the bulkhead behind the CCV unit?

Will
08-01-2006, 10:56 AM
MikeP996

Are those household sink drain tubes between the hoses in the second photo? Very clever!!!

Will

MikeP
08-01-2006, 12:27 PM
The material behind the CCV is plywood where the CCV is bolted. Below that is the removable plywood panel (roughly 3x5 ft) that allows access to the inboard side of the engine from the passageway. It is covered on the interior side with some sort of material that looks/feels like fiberglass cloth.

The "custom" hose fittings are, indeed, 1 1/4" diameter sink drain tubing.

Diver Down
08-01-2006, 03:14 PM
For the benefit of anyone who may be looking for the best current price on CCV6000 filters, I just ordered two of these from Arctic Marine (New Bedford, MA; www.arcticmarine.com) for $605 including shipping.

SKYCHENEY
08-01-2006, 03:16 PM
For the benefit of anyone who may be looking for the best current price on CCV6000 filters, I just ordered two of these from Arctic Marine (New Bedford, MA; www.arcticmarine.com) for $605 including shipping.

That's where I bought mine. I ordered online and had them in about 3 days.

Diver Down
08-01-2006, 03:21 PM
Getting lazy here, but would you tell me what K & N filter you bought (part #)? Also, did installing these filters require any other parts (other than the hoses, tee, etc. to connect the CCV)? Thanks in advance.

MikeP
08-01-2006, 04:47 PM
I used K&N RE 0870 filters, paid 44.95 each for them a year and a half ago. I can't remember which internet site I used - it was an automotive site.

No fittings are needed except the one to connect the CCV hose to the filter. I used a piece of PVC 1 1/4" with a flange on one side and sealed it to the hole I cut in the filter end with 3M Structural Adhesive. 5200 would probably work fine but it dries so slowly. Only one of the filters on each engine needs the hose attachment.

SKYCHENEY
08-01-2006, 04:51 PM
Don't put anything on the inside of the filter to hold on the hose. It could come loose and get sucked into the turbo (very bad!).

MikeP
08-01-2006, 05:21 PM
Right! I should have made that point - The flange is on the outside and glued to the outside of the filter. If you look at the photo you can see the flange. There is nothing that can come loose on the inside of the filter.

Diver Down
08-13-2006, 08:08 PM
Looked at your pictures again today before starting the conversion to Racor CCV. I'm confused about the tee in the line and hope you will explain. I only have a crankcase vent on one of the valve covers and so it seems that I should go directly to the CCV filter (inlet side). Do you have vents on both of the valve covers on each engine, thus the need to have a tee? Also, I've installed the new pleated K&N filters directly onto the blower as it appears you have done. Is this correct? Thanks once again for your time.

MikeP
08-13-2006, 08:24 PM
If you look at the second picture, you will notice the hose that heads to the lower right in the pic below the air filter (towards the rear of the engine) . That hose connects to the crankcase vent. The engine should have TWO vents - one on a valve cover and the other directly out of the crankcase . One hose goes to each vent then connects to the T. The third hose from the T goes to the CCV.

Yes, the filters attach directly to the front of the turbo - just as the oem filters did. You will need to cut a hole in the end of one of the filters for a fitting to attach the hose from the ccv - doesn't matter which filter you use.

Liquid Asset
08-13-2006, 10:32 PM
Mike,
I noticed that the hose on your CCV setup is what is used on my Walker Airsep setup that I just removed. I have the CCV vents in hand and went down to Parker/Racor store to purchase some. They do not have any of that type of oil resistant hose. Do you know what brand yours is and where you purchased it?

SKYCHENEY
08-13-2006, 10:53 PM
Pat,
I installed my Racor CCV's and K&N's exactly as Mike did except I did not buy the hose kit from Racor. I went to my local hose shop and bought fuel fill hose. It is tough wire reinforced stuff and oil resistant.

Liquid Asset
08-13-2006, 11:09 PM
That is a thought. I figured that Racor/Parker Store would have had it in stock, but who knows whats up with it.

Captned
08-14-2006, 06:45 AM
If you look at the second picture, you will notice the hose that heads to the lower right in the pic below the air filter (towards the rear of the engine) . That hose connects to the crankcase vent. The engine should have TWO vents - one on a valve cover and the other directly out of the crankcase . One hose goes to each vent then connects to the T. The third hose from the T goes to the CCV.

Hey Mike,

I have a vent on both valve covers and one crankcase vent per engine. Do I plumb them all together? ( you know, on each engine.)

Thanks, Captned

CapetaniosG
08-14-2006, 09:06 AM
Yes you do. All three.

CapetaniosG