PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Panel - Generator Switch Headache

adt2
12-29-2023, 03:45 PM
Among the problems I'm currently dealing with is this thing:

The last time I used this generator (about two months ago now), the switch fell off in my hand. I tried everything I could think of to get it back on the mounting post, but it just spins free in either direction.

I assumed the little nylon teeth inside the knob were worn off, so I ordered two new knobs from Sam's at about $32/ea. Figured I ought to keep a spare aboard. Fast forward to last weekend, when I attempted to install the new knob on the generator switch. It slips right onto the post, and I tightened the screw until it won't tighten anymore...and the knob just spins freely in either direction.

My next step is to take my oscillating tool and try to cut a small notch in the end of the shaft so I can turn it with a flat screwdriver. Anybody else have any clever ideas?

SeaEric
12-29-2023, 03:56 PM
Replace the switch. Be certain that you order the right one with the correct ports on the back. They aren't cheap but if it's coming apart it's probably time.
https://www.bluesea.com/products/9019/AC_Rotary_Switch_-_OFF_%2B_2_Positions_240V_AC_65A

SKYCHENEY
12-29-2023, 04:31 PM
Pull the shaft out of the switch. It should slide out. When you get it out part way, see if you can turn the switch with some pliers/vice grips. If it still doesn't engage, you need a new switch. If you can turn it, it may be a problem with the shaft to knob engagement.

adt2
12-29-2023, 04:51 PM
Replace the switch. Be certain that you order the right one with the correct ports on the back. They aren't cheap but if it's coming apart it's probably time.
https://www.bluesea.com/products/9019/AC_Rotary_Switch_-_OFF_%2B_2_Positions_240V_AC_65A

Thanks for the link - saved me a lot of googling. And holy crap you weren't kidding about them not being cheap! On the plus side, while I was poking around I came across a four-position switch (Off, Source 1, Source 2, Source 3) which might work for our setup (we have a 3rd generator installed by previous owner that I currently have no idea how to operate). Would be nice to be able to switch between any of the generators using the same switch.

Although technically I guess I need a five-position unit - Off, Shore, Gen1, Gen2, Gen3. Looks like it's back to google, lol.

adt2
12-29-2023, 04:52 PM
Pull the shaft out of the switch. It should slide out. When you get it out part way, see if you can turn the switch with some pliers/vice grips. If it still doesn't engage, you need a new switch. If you can turn it, it may be a problem with the shaft to knob engagement.

Thanks for the tip! Will try this before I go to the trouble of filing a groove in the end of the shaft.

SKYCHENEY
12-29-2023, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the link - saved me a lot of googling. And holy crap you weren't kidding about them not being cheap! On the plus side, while I was poking around I came across a four-position switch (Off, Source 1, Source 2, Source 3) which might work for our setup (we have a 3rd generator installed by previous owner that I currently have no idea how to operate). Would be nice to be able to switch between any of the generators using the same switch.

Although technically I guess I need a five-position unit - Off, Shore, Gen1, Gen2, Gen3. Looks like it's back to google, lol.

Why would you ever need "OFF"?

adt2
12-29-2023, 04:59 PM
Why would you ever need "OFF"?

I dunno...but it came from the factory with an "OFF" so I assume I need it for something. There's more than one switching panel...maybe only one can be in use at a time?

I'm still learning about the boat's electrical system, in case that's not obvious.

Boatsb
12-29-2023, 07:23 PM
Someone is about to get hurt.

Stop.

First

the shaft slipped into the switch. It needs to be pulled out and reattached to the knob.

Second

It's not a simple bluesea switch. The bluesea switch is far too small.

Call or email me before something bad happens. It's a 100 amp switch for a reason. I've rewired a few big hatts with new switches and it's not as simple as some think.

Scott 407-739-5450

Boatsb@cfl.rr.com

bigbill
12-29-2023, 09:18 PM
call scott he does this for a living and he knows this sh-t

adt2
12-29-2023, 09:23 PM
...Call or email me before something bad happens. It's a 100 amp switch for a reason. I've rewired a few big hatts with new switches and it's not as simple as some think.

Scott 407-739-5450 (tel:407-739-5450)

Boatsb@cfl.rr.com

Yikes. Thanks for the warning and the offer of help. It may be a week or two before I get back to the boat but I'll very likely take you up on the offer.

Andy