PDA

View Full Version : Aft Salon Enclosure Replacement

Chasemmc
09-12-2023, 07:10 PM
The aft enclosure is shot. Got two quotes, $7k and 9k. Seems like too much. Saw some earlier posts on a wood rigid frame with panel inserts, but can't seem to find those threads. I do all my own wood working, so it would have to be less expensive (if u don't count my time). Looking for suggestions Thx Mark

rob71
09-13-2023, 09:46 AM
I built removable panels for the aft deckhouse on my 43DCMY.
It came with the glass sliding side windows and wing doors.
Panels are 1X2s Slotted to accept 1/8 inch plexiglass.

edward
09-13-2023, 10:35 AM
Are they hinged at the top to open up or do you have to remove them and store them somewhere ?

Scarlett
09-13-2023, 12:01 PM
I built a solid enclosure for my aft deck. Built wood boxes that enclose the metal supports for the overhead, installed plexiglass panels. The center section opens on gas struts.

rob71
09-14-2023, 08:26 AM
My panels are removable with spring loaded pins.
They are very light, and store sideways below the rails.😎

Chasemmc
09-15-2023, 08:30 AM
Great pictures, this is the exact inspiration I need to think through this project. Whereas I need to sort out how to build, do you have additional pix, advise or counsel? What wood was used, finishes, choice of glazing? How did u keep the glazing from leaking at the frame? Durability and care considerations? Thanks again for the responses Mark

rob71
09-15-2023, 09:29 AM
I used pine 1X2s for budget reasons. I did coat them with penetrating epoxy and paint.
Also it took several attempts to get the dimensions correct between top to bottom and side to side.
Each one is a little different (not square !)

Chasemmc
09-15-2023, 09:32 PM
Are the panes fixed in the frames or removable? Can u take some close up pix and post?

PS: nothing is square or plumb.....ask me how I know