PDA

View Full Version : Capilano Hydraulic Cylinder - Rebuild?

JD5652
09-03-2022, 02:51 PM
My steering has become very sluggish. I had bled the system and topped off the hydraulic fluid a few weeks ago. The steering was better but far from optimum.

I have noticed a small leak at the lower helm and thought that might be the problem. However, it appears I have more than one issue.

Systems Consists of the following:

Lower/Upper Helm Unit - Capilano Model 275
Steering Hydraulic Pump - Accusteer Model HRP-75-24
Capilano Hydraulic Cylinder - No nameplate or data
Teleflex Model 50 Uniflow Valve
I have leaks in the following locations:

Lower Helm Unit - Minor
Port Hydraulic Cylinder - Moderate
Uniflow Valve - Moderate (Appears to be from fittings)
Want to get the system back to optimum operation. How difficult is it to rebuild the helm unit and the hydraulic cylinder?? I could not find the exact replacement for my hydraulic cylinder as there is no nameplate on either one of them. Additionally, it appears the connections are rather unique. The units I did find for inboard engines were about $1200.... would prefer a more economical solution.

Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks!

JD5652
09-03-2022, 02:53 PM

Captain Ralph
09-03-2022, 03:33 PM
Is it the hose / tubing fittings leaking or the helm pumps?
Have you properly bleed the system?
Some Capilano helms had a variable ratio knob or shaft. Adjustment in the wrong direction would lower the movement of the rudder making the operator think there was a problem.

Never kick a sleeping dog.
Ensure you have a problem before taking anything apart. Especially these.

JD5652
09-03-2022, 03:42 PM
Capt-

On the lower helm, the leak appears to be coming from the seal around the wheel shaft. I get a small amount of fluid that "runs" down the vertical part of the helm.

On the Uniflow valve, it could very well be the fittings and I will be removing, cleaning and use Leak Lock on the NPT threads.

I just remember seeing hydraulic fluid below the cylinder on my trip down from Chesapeake. I did not check the fittings... will do that first....

I definitely bled the system correctly when I did it in Charleston... at least I "think" I did... talked to the Capilano tech support and followed the procedure in the manual they provided.

JD5652
09-03-2022, 03:48 PM
You can see here is this pic the residual oil on the vertical part of the helm...

Captain Ralph
09-03-2022, 04:05 PM
In your pic is also the ratio knob.
If you are already in contact with the mfg support, They may have a local shop to reseal the unit, maybe come on site and do all the dirty work for you.
I would not be in a hurry to replace anything, just serviced what is needed.

zigzag930
09-03-2022, 04:25 PM
I believe I have the exact same setup on Katerina.

No issues at this time, but she did seep fluid from the upper station when we first bought her. I believe the mechanic that serviced the hoses at the steering cylinder, didn't bleed the system fully and bubbles were "burping" out the vent.

Interestingly, I never noticed the little knob in your last picture. I just went to check and there is one on both helms. The lower helm has a wooden wheel, so you really have to get to the side to even notice the knob.

What exactly does the variable ratio knob do? Is this a way to adjust the sensitivity of the rudders to wheel turn? If so, I wouldn't mind making them more reactive to the helm.

Captain Ralph
09-03-2022, 04:57 PM
What exactly does the variable ratio knob do? Is this a way to adjust the sensitivity of the rudders to wheel turn? If so, I wouldn't mind making them more reactive to the helm.
Think of it as a variable transmission.
Easy to turn, rudder moves a little per turn, it gets harder to turn if you want the rudders to move faster/quicker per steering wheel turn. This does nothing for the AP pump, just the help pump.
Don't think it came with power steering, like Hatts Hynautic nightmare.

Wait, did Sea Star buy up Capilano also? Now Dumbmetic?
Trying to find a manual for you.

http://www.seastarsolutions.com/products/hydraulic-new/inboard-new/capilano-new/#tech

JD5652
09-03-2022, 04:59 PM
I believe I have the exact same setup on Katerina.

Yes.... exactly.... if you look close it has an engraving that says "More Turns" ... and "Less Turns"...

JD5652
09-03-2022, 05:30 PM
In your pic is also the ratio knob.
If you are already in contact with the mfg support, They may have a local shop to reseal the unit, maybe come on site and do all the dirty work for you.
I would not be in a hurry to replace anything, just serviced what is needed.

Anyone have a recommendation for someone in the Tampa/St. Pete/Sarasota area?

Thanks!

Captain Ralph
09-03-2022, 07:01 PM
Anyone have a recommendation for someone in the Tampa/St. Pete/Sarasota area?

Thanks!
The shop we work with in Jax is authorized.
Love working with them. Rite across the street from Huckins.
They may know of a labor pool in your hood to help R&R.

https://www.fluid-tec.com/contact/

http://www.seastarsolutions.com/support-2/authorized-hydraulic-service-centers/
(https://www.fluid-tec.com/contact/)

JD5652
09-04-2022, 12:00 AM
Thanks Capt!!

zigzag930
09-04-2022, 08:21 AM
There is a steering place in N. Venice, not too far from you. They have some of the Capilano steering documents online. Might be worth giving them a call to see if they can help out. "Boatsteer.com".

Captain Ralph
09-04-2022, 11:51 AM
They have the manuals also;

https://www.boatsteer.com/assets/Capilano1250v1275v1350v81109.4-Rev2014.pdf

https://www.boatsteer.com/assets/CapilanoBleeding.pdf

JD5652
09-06-2022, 12:19 PM
There is a steering place in N. Venice, not too far from you. They have some of the Capilano steering documents online. Might be worth giving them a call to see if they can help out. "Boatsteer.com".

Zig-

Thanks for the recommendation. Turns out boatsteer.com is in the business of remanufacturing/repairing the Capilano 275V (and other Capilano, Seastar and Hynautic) steering systems. Unfortunately they do not do any outside service.

FYI, for those with the Uniflow 50 valve in their system, this valve is a double pilot check valve that directs/ports fluid to the part of the system required when you turn the wheel. Without it the steering would simply lock up and there is no direct replacement.

Boatsteer offers a system modification where you install two separate check valves, their Model Number MSV-30.

Boatsteer will rebuild my existing Model 275V helm for $560. Turn-around time is 3-4 days after receipt of the unit. They do rebuild cylinders as well.

Captain Ralph
09-06-2022, 01:13 PM
Zig-

Thanks for the recommendation. Turns out boatsteer.com is in the business of remanufacturing/repairing the Capilano 275V (and other Capilano, Seastar and Hynautic) steering systems. Unfortunately they do not do any outside service.

FYI, for those with the Uniflow 50 valve in their system, this valve is a double pilot check valve that directs/ports fluid to the part of the system required when you turn the wheel. Without it the steering would simply lock up and there is no direct replacement.

Boatsteer offers a system modification where you install two separate check valves, their Model Number MSV-30.

Boatsteer will rebuild my existing Model 275V helm for $560. Turn-around time is 3-4 days after receipt of the unit. They do rebuild cylinders as well.

Well now we just have to find some smart R&R labor.

neildeb2
09-06-2022, 03:34 PM
FYI, both my helms seeped from the seal at the front (steering) like yours when I got the boat. The PO said he just changed the o ring every 6 to 8 months. I did so for a year, but eventually experimented with different o rings and found a square-cornered o ring that was slightly larger than the existing ones. I inserted that one and have had zero leaks now for 3 years.

JD5652
09-06-2022, 04:05 PM
FYI, both my helms seeped from the seal at the front (steering) like yours when I got the boat. The PO said he just changed the o ring every 6 to 8 months. I did so for a year, but eventually experimented with different o rings and found a square-cornered o ring that was slightly larger than the existing ones. I inserted that one and have had zero leaks now for 3 years.

Interesting....

I have not even removed the cover plate on mine yet.

Did you have the Model 275V or 250V?

Any pics of what you did or what it looks like?

Square/flat o-rings are not that unusual....

McMaster-Carr (https://www.mcmaster.com/o-rings/cross-section-shape~square/)

Got a part number or size??

Thanks!