PDA

View Full Version : Fresh Water Pump

Freestyle
06-29-2006, 05:47 PM
After a month of no worry cruising luck ran out.

My Galley Maid 7gpm 12 volt DC pump inexplicably failed between my evening shower and morning coffee. I will trouble shoot tomorrow but this has happened 3 of 5 summers. It's just a weak link that at the least requires redundancy.

Since the pump is 3 months old and under warranty I called the supplier. They will send a new one to Key Largo where I just happen to be. Thinking out of the box, I am having them send a 115 volt pump too that I plan to "T" into the freshwater system to create some redundancy and prevent the FW pump from killing the starboard 12 volt system.

Installation is tomorrow. All advice appreciated.

Boat is 43 DCMY circa 1976.

Thank you.

Bruce

Fanfare
06-29-2006, 06:23 PM
Hmmm.. The 50MY came stock with two 12v fresh water pumps and two 110v air conditioning salt water circulating pumps piped and wired. Guess they figured you might need a spare.

Nonchalant1
06-30-2006, 12:03 AM
I have a 110V A/C pump and a 32V pump for my fresh water system. They are connected in parallel and it works fine. By parallel, I mean that they both pull from the same fresh water supply pipe and they both output into the same captive air tank (about 5 gal size). The A/C pump has a higher "on" PSI setting so it will come on first if there is A/C. If there's no A/C the water pressure drops and the 32V pump comes on. They keep the water pressure at about 50 PSI whether I'm on the hook or at the dock.

I like the redundancy and it all seems to work fine, unless I turn off the 32V pump and run the water pressure down low when there's no A/C, in which case the 32V pump looses it's prime and I have to bleed the water pressure down to zero and leave a faucet running so the 32V pump can reprime.

Doug Shuman

Zydeco IV
06-30-2006, 09:52 AM
Ditto regarding Doug's previous response. And, as I learned the hard way, be sure to keep your freshwater system "fresh" or at least as free of the crud and junk that can clog it's filters and impede goodwater flow.

jim rosenthal
06-30-2006, 04:54 PM
Boy, is that ever true. Now that I can really empty my FW tank, I will make that part of the fall ritual- vacuum it totally dry. It is amazing- not in a pleasant way- what accumulates in there.

DickB
06-30-2006, 06:41 PM
Ditto Jim's remarks for a 44TC. I have never emptied either FW tank. I don't think I want to know what lives in there!

Nonchalant1
06-30-2006, 09:50 PM
Strange....I emptied mine one time when I had the gauge fittings off and could really see into 2 of my 3 tanks. They were both completely clean, right down to the fiberglass bottoms. I expected to see some accumulated crud. I have never cleaned the tanks or added anything, except I only put chlorinated city water in them. Maybe the previous owners cleaned them.

Doug

MikeP
06-30-2006, 10:14 PM
Same here - both FW tanks are very clean - nothing visible in them at all except clear water. No growth of any kind. I am generous with the clorox every spring but other than that, no other "maintanance" toward keeping them clean.

Nonchalant1
06-30-2006, 10:31 PM
Mike,

Just wait'll you get to Mexico! You'll get some critters in your water there. The chlorine will serve you well. Note that a recent thread indicated that Hydrogen Peroxide is better to shock and kill critters, but chlorine is best for long term maintained growth control. Never use an activated charcoal filter before you put water in the tank because it takes out the chlorine.

And a snake in the hallway may become a normal occurance down there too.

Doug