PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass tanks deteriorating

rbm
06-25-2006, 01:01 PM
We have a 1977 Hatteras and our tanks are deteriorating. I would like to know if anyone has had this problem. It is due to the ethonal in the gas that is making a tar like substance form in our tanks, also making our engine valves stick and staying open. We would like to know what kind of tanks you replaced them with and if your insurance provided you with coverage for this problem. Please let me know, thank you for your time. :( rbm

Passages
06-25-2006, 01:10 PM
Use the search function with the word "ethanol" . You'll find what you are looking for.

Hank Wawryck
06-25-2006, 02:01 PM
I just replaced my tanks,in my 69 34" convertable. After an extensive amount of research,I came up with molded poly tanks made by Moller Marine. Go to oceanlinkinc.com Their located in Portsmouth,RI.

The hardest part was makeing the first cut into the deck. After that it was pretty simple. I removed the old tanks,after cutting around the forward hatch aprox.2 inches from the opening then down to the aft hatch and cut through the middle of that one. If I remember it was about 34" wide and about 68 or 70" long. The old tanks were removed by cutting the fiberglass tabs holding them in place. Even though they were empty it took three of us to get them out of the boat.

After I had the new ones in I used 5/4 mahognay to sister the stringers. Glassed back in the old deck and that was it. The new tanks come with elec senders for gauges, so I glassed over the old site glass ports.

While everything was open I cleaned,painted and went over everything that was accessible while I had the chance. I also made floor boards to cover the bilge,and painted them white.

If I can be of any help I can be reached @ OutTwoSea2@aol.com

Hank Wawryck

smoothmove
06-25-2006, 06:18 PM
RBM, Would you happen to know the percentage of ethanol that was in the gasoline which caused these problems?
Eric

Jackman
06-26-2006, 07:22 AM
RBM,

Just curious about how long you've been using ethanol laced fuel?

rbm
06-26-2006, 07:27 AM
i bought the boat last year

Capt.Erich
06-26-2006, 02:13 PM
I found this release from Boats US interesting. It does specify Hatteras and Bertram (because they were the first to use fiberglass) but says nothing about the construction of the tanks. IMHO, who ever told you the fuel tanks were cored with anything had no idea what he was talking about. Hatteras has ALWAYS built their own tanks in house and only used solid glass. I suspect Bertram did the same.

http://www.boatus.com/news/releases/2005/october/alert.asp