PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Dock Lines

Jackman
12-26-2021, 05:53 PM
Just wondering what you guys do to clean your dock lines? I currently put mine in the sink in my garage with hot water and tide. Let them sit for a couple of hours with irregular manual agitation. The rinse off and let them air dry at 65 degrees in my heated garage.

Just looking to see how far off I am compared to what y’all do. Generally with the tide all the dirt comes out

Jack

Captain Ralph
12-26-2021, 06:32 PM
I have heard liquid detergent, fabric softener, different cleaners.
I believe just warm water rinses will clear the damaging salt.
The issues;
Salt and sand cut fibers.
Sun damages fibers.
Working the line damages fibers.
Over working lines destroys fibers.

There is a time when lines are shot, worn out, old and may be dangerous.

Lines & rode should be pliable and flexible. There is no snake oil to fix a old line.

When your lines can near standup with out the charm, replace them.

Happy and safe new year everybody.
,rc

SEVEN
12-26-2021, 06:35 PM
I take mine and put it in a mesh washing sack, ask your wife what they are. I throw it in the normal wash with detergent and add a little fabric softener to it, then let it dry in the sun and it is like brand new line and very flexible.

Bob Bradley
12-26-2021, 10:40 PM
I buy new ones. Of course, I save the old ones because they're still good. That's why I have dozens of "good" docklines taking up space in my garage. I really think the correct approach is to have a spare set or two for doubling during storms and give away the old ones to sailboat owners. They love free stuff.

Blowncar
12-27-2021, 02:31 AM
Warm bucket of water with woolite, knead them a few times over a couple hours soak. Rinse well and enjoy lines that are soft/flexible and don't squeak anymore.

Dan Mapes
12-27-2021, 07:17 AM
There are some lines that should never go in a washing machine. Ask me how I know :p

SKYCHENEY
12-27-2021, 08:46 AM
I take mine and put it in a mesh washing sack, ask your wife what they are. I throw it in the normal wash with detergent and add a little fabric softener to it, then let it dry in the sun and it is like brand new line and very flexible.

Same here. Been doing it for many years. But, as stated, eventually they get to a point where they just have to be replaced.

JACKPOT
12-27-2021, 04:19 PM
Ditto to Sky & Seven,

With the exception, they soak for two days in liquid tide & bleach in a tub or 5 gal buckets. Then into the mesh bags to the washer.... I have several sets of traveling lines in addition to my 2" fire hose line protectors and anti-chafe guards ...that keep all of my lines in top shape. Dirt/salt and chafe/abrasion are what ruin your lines.....

Happy Holidays to all,

Jackpot

finatic
12-27-2021, 04:29 PM
Warm bucket of water with woolite, knead them a few times over a couple hours soak. Rinse well and enjoy lines that are soft/flexible and don't squeak anymore.

I got this same Woolite suggestion from an engineer who worked for New England Ropes. Will make them soft and supple again

Avenger
12-29-2021, 02:55 AM
FWIW, I went black, and I'll never go back. Black dock lines hold up much better to UV and have remained pliable far longer than any set of white dock lines I've ever owned.

Glory
12-29-2021, 03:58 AM
OMG, he went black!

Captain Ralph
12-29-2021, 06:18 AM
FWIW, I went black, and I'll never go back. Black dock lines hold up much better to UV and have remained pliable far longer than any set of white dock lines I've ever owned.Interesting
I had always thought the sun would eat a dark line up faster. All other dark objects seem to die faster in the sun.
Do you think the quality of the line had anything to do with its survivability?

Avenger
12-29-2021, 08:02 AM
Interesting
I had always thought the sun would eat a dark line up faster. All other dark objects seem to die faster in the sun.
Do you think the quality of the line had anything to do with its survivability?

Both were New England brand, so I @$$ume the same quality. Neither color was cheap. That's for sure.

Avenger
12-29-2021, 08:05 AM
OMG, he went black!

DOCK LINES! BLACK DOCK LINES!

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Jeez Louise. :rolleyes:

SEVEN
12-29-2021, 12:55 PM
I agree with the black lines lasting longer. I used white on my Chris Crafts and they latex 4 years before replacing. I’ve got 6 years on used lines and they are still like new. Note, I’m on an outside berth.

cww
12-29-2021, 11:06 PM
I buy black lines - you don’t need to wash them because they never look gross. I will never go back to normal color lines.

Captain Ralph
12-29-2021, 11:27 PM
Wow,
I always wanted black lines.
Guess with this advice, I can get some and not fear a early end of life as I thought.
:):)

SEVEN
12-30-2021, 01:22 AM
Even sunbrella state their black sunbrella lasts longer than the white. Doesn’t sound right but it’s true.

Captain Ralph
12-30-2021, 06:14 AM
Maybe the dye itself is more of a cover/protector than a heat generator from the suns rays.

Just purchased another truck yesterday.
Going to be a while now before I can order some new lines.