PDA

View Full Version : Chrysler 426 - oil coming from the oil stick tube when under way

akintosyali
11-08-2021, 10:32 AM
I have oil coming out of the oil stick tube when underway. At the docks, no oil is coming out of the tube.
Cylinders 6 and 8 have low compression, 95 ns 90. The others are around 120-130.
Both of the heads were redone with new valves and springs.
I am guessing it is the piston rings. - and the engine needs to come out ;(
Is there a way to confirm that the issue is the piston rings without pulling the engine?

Avenger
11-08-2021, 11:14 AM
You can do a leakdown test which involves pressurizing the cylinder while it's at TDC and seeing where the air is coming out.

It usually involves gauges, but you can do it with a regulator and your compression tester adapter for the spark plug.

jim rosenthal
11-08-2021, 11:15 AM
Yes, run a compression check and a leakdown test. As long as you make sure the valves are both closed on the cylinder you are testing, on each of them in turn, you should be able to see the gauge drop, and hear air escaping into the crankcase past the piston rings.

Sorry, Derek beat me to it.

Captain Ralph
11-08-2021, 04:40 PM
Fresh heads and now case pressure? Not before the head work?

jim rosenthal
11-08-2021, 05:06 PM
Hate to say this, but it sounds like you might need an engine overhaul. :(

Captain Ralph
11-08-2021, 06:42 PM
I would try a pressure test dry and loaded with oil.
I'm concerned with 2 joining cylinders (6&8), both low, like a bad gasket or cracked head.

Sure wish we knew if there was case pressure before the head work.

One other thought, How long were the heads off and were the cylinder liners kept oiled up.
Could some water got on the pistons and rusted the rings up a little?

BOATER BOB
11-08-2021, 09:32 PM
That can happen if you by chance over filled engine with oil make sure you have proper amount in engine. Dont ask me how I know!
BOb

Bob Bradley
11-08-2021, 10:41 PM
I had that happen on a GM 327 in an old Chris I had. Turned out that the exhaust crossover in the intake manifold had cracked and was blowing exhaust into the engine. Very difficult to diagnose, as the crack was covered by the heat shield that was riveted to the underside of the intake. I superheated the oil and spun a rod bearing on a freshly rebuilt engine as a result. I rebuilt it again and that's when I observed the oil fountain. Otherwise I probably would have toasted the engine again.