PDA

View Full Version : Portable A/C Unit

Maurice
11-04-2021, 05:21 PM
1973 38' FBDC - would like to source a portable AC unit for the few hot days on the boat. Primarily for sleeping so would like to install it in the aft cabin, or salon. Thinking about 12,000 BTU. Any suggestions? Many advertised on the Internet that exhaust water out the window. Thinking I could exhaust water into the bilge. Would probably only operate it an hour or so before bed with the Genset when at anchor. Not sure if I need a source of water.

Briankinley2004
11-04-2021, 08:08 PM
I have seen them that fit in a hatch that do not need a water supply. I found this one but it is only 7K BTU

https://www.amazon.com/Carry-000-BTU-Portable-Conditioner/dp/B0002YGIZ0

rob71
11-05-2021, 08:57 AM
I have tried both types of portable units.
New Cruisaires are not being manufactured for quite some time.
I did get one used and it will cool a small cabin, but it does produce lots of water from its condensation drain.
The portable ones on wheels produce a LOT of heat around its 6 inch discharge tube. So it needs to be some distance from the area you want to cool.
If you try one, just get it from Home Depot etc. so you can return it if you don't like it.
Capt. Rob

SEVEN
11-05-2021, 11:19 AM
I had one in my prior boat and it worked great. I had Tap plastic cut a hole in some clear plastic. The exhaust tube was bolted on to it. The plastic fit inside the window frame so it looked like clear glass. I ran a drain line into a sump pump. 12,000 is a great size.

rwaldrop13
11-06-2021, 04:15 PM
I have tried both types of portable units.
New Cruisaires are not being manufactured for quite some time.
I did get one used and it will cool a small cabin, but it does produce lots of water from its condensation drain.
The portable ones on wheels produce a LOT of heat around its 6 inch discharge tube. So it needs to be some distance from the area you want to cool.
If you try one, just get it from Home Depot etc. so you can return it if you don't like it.
Capt. Rob

We actually went the Lowes portable route for our salon AC after the Crusair unit packed in completely. While in August in SW Florida it doesn't cool it down to 65 degrees, it does keep it at a pleasant temperature. We made the discharge vent a semi-permanent fixture vented thru the starboard salon slider window.

GE 6100-BTU DOE (8000-BTU ASHRAE) 115-Volt White Portable Air Conditioner in the Portable Air Conditioners department at Lowes.com (https://www.lowes.com/pd/GE-6000-BTU-Portable-Air-Conditioner/5000143961)