PDA

View Full Version : keel water tank leak 53MY

llldks
01-24-2021, 10:28 AM
I have replaced my transom and VIP water tanks and now have a leak in the top of the keel tank. With a camera I can see water on the top side of the tank on the starboard side near a tab to the stringer. I will attempt to cut an access to this spot but because a PO reconfigured the master bed, access may involve tearing the bed out.

Rather than doing this, I am considering bypassing the keel tank by cutting a hole in the back of the tank and on the top where the VIP tank connects in the master closet. I would connect the tanks with a male-male at the back and a T connector forward with the water pump drawing from the T connector. The T connection looks to be level with bottom of both tanks.

With big enough access holes I should be able to pass the connecting hose through the baffles?

Has anyone done this or have another way to bypass tank?

Thanks, Larry

MadHatter53
01-24-2021, 11:51 AM
I only have two tanks that I know about. One under owners bed and one in vip.

oscarvan
01-24-2021, 03:22 PM
I only have two tanks that I know about. One under owners bed and one in vip.

Same here, vip bunk and in the front half of the centerline queen in MSR, so above the floor. There is no keel tank back there according to my blueprints.... Do have the point where they meet in the MST closet.

SEVEN
01-24-2021, 03:57 PM
I spoke to a friend who has a 1973 53 foot motoryacht. He does have a third tank in the keel. There is a sending unit in the master state room closet under a hatch on the right side of the closet. He indicated that he has never used that tank and that it has been shut off since before he bought it. He was not sure if it was a fuel tank or a water tank. He said that I’ve just given him a challenge to find out and he’s going to investigate get back to me.

llldks
01-24-2021, 04:50 PM
Mine is a 1972 which originally had twin beds. A PO modified this to a king starboard and bench to port. The free standing side of bed is right over the center line and makes access very difficult. Guess they went to two tanks when they went to center line master.

Went today and decided on bypassing the tank. Before I cut up keel tank hoping for input on my planned bypassing not working for some reason?

SEVEN
01-24-2021, 05:10 PM
My 1979 has original twins in the master and only has two tanks. One tank in the stern and the other under the starboard bunk in the center stateroom.

llldks
01-24-2021, 05:22 PM
I fill from the vented transom tank which feeds the keel tank. The keel tank had a pickup for the water pump and also feeds tha vented VIP tank. Theses connections are in MSR closet.i think the keel tank is always used as it is the lowest tank and feeds the pump.

Pascal
01-24-2021, 05:28 PM
My early 53 also has three tanks: one in under the stbd berth in the midship, one against the transom and one in the keel under where the master closet used to be

The pick up is on top of the keel tank. There are two large hoses which connects the both higher tanks to the keel tank.

I also have a leak, where the hose from the transom tank connects to the keel tank. Hard to reach under the centerline bed so I ve been procrastinating on the repair... for some reason I’m only leaks when the tanks are about half full (combined). I guess when the pressure eases up the leak stops

llldks
01-24-2021, 06:15 PM
But does anyone see a problem with connecting the transo tank to the VIP tank using a T connection. The third leg a T would feed the pump. The transom line would be extended through the keel tank and connect with VIP/pump in master closet??

Pascal
01-24-2021, 06:23 PM
I ve been thinking about this as a temporary bypass of the keel tank so it can dry to be repaired. Haven’t looked at it in detail yet. I would not cut the tank though. I m thinking about disconnecting the large black hose that comes out of the transom tank and connecting it to the hose Coming out of the midship tank, and he’s using a Tee

Haven’t looked for the hose out of the midship tank yet though.

Hatteras should have used much larger vents on these tanks to avoid pressuring them up

SKYCHENEY
01-24-2021, 07:31 PM
I think the fuel tanks were expanded to 700 gallons in 1978 and the that is when they dropped the third water tank in the keel and went to just two tanks..

oscarvan
01-24-2021, 07:32 PM
I think the fuel tanks were expanded to 700 gallons in 1978 and the that is when they dropped the third water tank in the keel and went to just two tanks..

Ah, that makes sense.

llldks
01-25-2021, 12:16 AM
I have a 1 1/2 inch hose from transom tank to bottom Backside of the keel tank. In the MSR closet there is another 1 1/2 inch line from top front of keel tank through bulkhead to midship tank. Other than going through keel tank I can’t see how to run a 1 1/2 line between the tanks. I have to stay between the stringers and there isn’t enough room to go between tank and floor.
Upon reviewing previous threads there is no mention of such a bypass which makes is a little concerned.

As it stands, would have to remove MSR bed and floor to repair top of keel tank so why not try bypass first, especially knowing Hatteras went to a two tank system?

Pascal
01-25-2021, 09:08 AM
How about using two 3/4” hoses Teed together ?

llldks
01-25-2021, 05:40 PM
3/4 inch would be a good option except it might take a lot longer to fill midcabin tank.

Before cutting into tank I shined a light into the inlet to the keel tank but could not see it through the tank outlet with a flexible camera, so I abandoned the thru tank route. I was able to pass a 1 1/2 hose between the keel tank and a stringer on the port side. Found fittings to reduce from the 1 1/2 T to the 7/8 pump feed. Will post pictures when connections complete. Sage advice about not cutting into tank.