PDA

View Full Version : Not a Hatteras, but a nice Fleming 2020 65

Byresch
12-25-2020, 12:59 AM
I watched this and think the a very nice boat. I was wondering about the opinion of Fleming on the forum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zdXC5YSHxA&list=RDCMUCKLeLXNWfr0w2fO0h5Bt7mw&start_radio=1&t=1

racclarkson@gmail.com
12-25-2020, 06:14 AM
A high opinion

Boatsb
12-25-2020, 09:37 AM
Nice finish and lots of storage. I wonder about the hull shape as it hits 17 kts with 2 x 800 hp.

Scarlett
12-25-2020, 10:44 AM
Best thing about Fleming’s is Tony Fleming tests any new product on the market that he thinks would improve his boats. If he likes them they become standard equipment on his boats, example the Seatourge oil filled shaft tubes which really quite down the drive shaft and eliminate struts. The only down side is the head room in their engine rooms, but you can bet the systems are top of the line. John

SKYCHENEY
12-25-2020, 10:55 AM
I have known two people that have owned them. The first had an early 53 before they made the 55. That boat had issues. The teak decks were fastened with screws and let water into the coring underneath. The doors delaminated and were just a thin later of glass over plywood. I was not impressed, but the boat still brought crazy money when it sold a couple of years ago.

The other owner had a newer 55. That boat seemed to be built better but the owners sold a Hatteras and bought the Fleming. They complained about the built in furniture and said it wasn't comfortable and wished they had their Hatteras back.

luckydave215
12-25-2020, 10:58 AM
A beautiful boat, with a reputation for being very well made.
I would hate that engine room however, it's just like the Ocean Alexander we had. Hands and knees, and you can't reach anything.
I admit the walk-around-the-mains engine room is the centerpiece of the boat I own - for me anyway.

oscarvan
12-25-2020, 11:54 AM
I've been watching them. Of course the "per pound" price is a decimal over vis a vis my 1978 Hatt 53 so unless I get a call from a lawyer that I need to come collect a large inheritance it's not really an option. But, they are very capable and very good looking boats. The owner's community seems pretty coherent and supportive too. The larger ones do have good engine access, but now you're talking 2+M, which also buys a nice early 2010's Hatteras 65 and I REALLY like the layouts on this era Hatts with the galley/dining/helm all in one space.......

There's a really cool series of Youtube videos where Tony Fleming takes a 65 all over the world. Search for Fleming and Venture (the name of the boat)... I think he put 48,000 miles on it, and the videos are well done, although his narrative is a hair monotone. (Good for insomnia lol).

Scarlett
12-25-2020, 12:25 PM
That’s a good one Oscar, I have watch a few of those Venture videos and thought the same thing. That’s his 2nd 65. John

jmooney
12-25-2020, 01:16 PM
Spot on about the engine room access. The Fleming 75 has good access as I recall . But it should . I almost bought a 61 Tollycraft . Nice boat , but on your knees engine room . I feel if a boat costs 2 million new , you better be able to stand in the engine compartment. Especially if it is a cruising boat . Sportfishers are different, when they are new anyway, hired help slaves away down there.

jim rosenthal
12-25-2020, 01:32 PM
I expect that on convertibles the engine room height isn't great. But on MYs it ought to be much better. Especially on a boat which might be used for blue water passagemaking.

I don't know anyone who owns a Fleming; I've only been on them at boat shows. They are certainly beautiful boats and seem to keep their value. Has anyone here actually run one and can comment on what they are like running?

krush
12-25-2020, 02:43 PM
Any boat that is "passage making" needs full walk in engine room access from inside the vessel. You can't risk going outside in bad weather to get to the engine space.

Also, easy access to important systems is required. Notice the steering gear and generator are not easy to access?

SKYCHENEY
12-25-2020, 03:28 PM
It seems that one reason the used prices stay high is because Burr Yacht tries to muscle owners into listing with them and keeping the listing prices high. My friend was not looked upon favorably for listing his with someone else.

jim rosenthal
12-27-2020, 10:38 PM
I think that's true. Most used Flemings for sale are with Burr. Does Fleming actually own Burr Yacht sales? Would not surprise me.

Photolomy
12-28-2020, 10:41 AM
I agree with the ergonomics comments regarding access to engines and mechanical systems in general, but I don't think I have seen a more beautiful and stunning boat. What a nightmare to work on though.

edward
12-28-2020, 11:18 AM
Anyone have experience with the BOSS/SEATORQUE propeller shaft system that Fleming uses ?

jim rosenthal
12-28-2020, 05:10 PM
Nope. I can't imagine how much it would cost to put it into one of our boats, though. A fortune.

Don't Flemings use that Aquadrive system, too? Where the propshaft pushes on a thrust bearing that's separate from the transmission? Maybe I'm thinking of Marlow yeachts.

Scarlett
12-28-2020, 05:40 PM
Yes Jim they did use Aquadrives, not sure if they still do on the new boats. John