PDA

View Full Version : Experts, what's your opinion on this 53?

ADOPO
11-30-2020, 10:03 AM
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1981/hatteras-53-classic-motor-yacht-cummins-3671664/

Thank you.

ONE OF A KIND RARE FIND MODERN CUMMINS POWER

LOCATED GEORGETOWN MARYLAND

53' HATTERAS 1981 CLASSIC MOTOR YACHT

CUMMINS 6CTA 480CE RE-POWERED IN 2008 INCLUDING GLENDENNING ELECTRONIC CONTROLS FOR EFFORTLESS FINGERTIP HANDLING

400 FRESHWATER HOURS

SHED KEPT ON UPPER CHESAPEAKE RECENT PAINT TOPSIDES AND SUPERSTRUCTURE IN AWLCRAFT HATTERAS WHITE, CLEAN AND SHINY WITH NICELY VARNISHED BRIGHTWORK

UPDATES INCLUDING DRIPLESS SHAFT SEALS

UPDATED MARINE SANITATION DEVICES WITH ALL UPDATED WASTE HANDING HOSES...NO OLD SMELL HERE

FRESH BILGES NO OLD DETROIT DIESEL BILGE CONTAMINATION

SHOWN BY APPOINTMENT

Pascal
11-30-2020, 10:56 AM
Looks pretty nice. Must cruise at a good 18/19 with the 480s. I cruise at 17 with the 435s C series

rusted hose fittings in on pic looks out of place. Surprised they didn’t repaint the bilges white during the repower.

The older Ohno could probably use a sound shield

Worth close to asking if everything checks out

oscarvan
11-30-2020, 11:07 AM
I was on this boat over a year ago, at that point it was listed at $249K. It is a very nice, shed kept boat, it is not a spectacular boat and it is IMHO not a $229.000 boat. Seller is trying to recover a large chunk of the re-power and as we all know that's not gonna happen.

All that said I did get a recent follow up call from the broker, who BTW is one of the better ones as brokers go, and he seemed to indicate that seller is starting to come down to earth. I think maybe with some luck you can get him south of $200 and at that point the boat deserves serious consideration.

On edit: At one point this boat was stabilized, most likely Naiads. The reinforcements/mounting points are there, so re-installing them would be less work/cost than starting from scratch.

jim rosenthal
11-30-2020, 11:28 AM
I've been on that boat, belongs to a member of the CYCA. It was repowered as you know and I believe it is good for an 18 knot cruise, with better economy than you would have had with the old DDs, by far.

I recall it as a very clean boat, with the repower done very well. She may have aged a bit, but the work was done well and as I recall the engine areas looked very orderly. Worth a trip to see her, I would think.

SEVEN
11-30-2020, 12:22 PM
Photos are beautiful. Very clean. Love the motors. In California it would sell quickly for that price.

Sharon Jean
11-30-2020, 01:31 PM
The darkened paint on the intake side of the turbos to the aftercoolers can be an indication
that those engines have been pushed hard.

Some discoloration is normal, but this seems like a lot IMHO.

I'd also look close at the center cap on the port exhaust manifold. The rust indicates that
antifreeze has been leaking for a while. If it is leaking on the outside, it's also leaking on the inside.

SKYCHENEY
11-30-2020, 08:59 PM
Looks good. Mostly original with the exception of the repower. It seems that the upgrades were done well

Red Hatt
11-30-2020, 11:17 PM
Starfire is a star located at ayb.

jim rosenthal
12-01-2020, 09:57 AM
I know the owner, and while I would get an engine survey on any boat I was thinking about buying, used or new, John isn't the type to beat up his boat. But the engine survey by knowledgeable Cummins people would tell you all you needed to know.

Depending on where she is, I'd suggest T&S Marine in Crisfield. It's a bit of a drive, but they are VERY familiar with these engines and know exactly what they are doing.

Freeebird
12-01-2020, 04:10 PM
Strange name for a boat, but I like it . :D

dsharp
12-01-2020, 09:51 PM
I would want to see what the paint job looked like. Add if sprayed, deduct for roll and tip. Other than the Cummins engines the rest of the engine room just looks average. I wouldn’t have been proud of the work done on the dash where the engine panels, control head, etc was mounted. It looks like a diy job. May not be the yards fault, though. You have to work within the budget. Priced seems a little high but, you couldn’t buy one with Detroit’s and change engines for that price.

CanadianBoater
12-01-2020, 10:34 PM
It looks like a nice 53 and repowered is a plus in my opinion.

My one comment is that the flybridge does not look original for some reason.
Something strange there...it's not the same as all others I've seen, nor is the windscreen...

Check the boat out thoroughly.

As for the price...that depends on what you find when you check it out.
It's worth what you're willing to pay for it.

M

SKYCHENEY
12-02-2020, 10:02 AM
It looks like a nice 53 and repowered is a plus in my opinion.

My one comment is that the flybridge does not look original for some reason.
Something strange there...it's not the same as all others I've seen, nor is the windscreen...

Check the boat out thoroughly.

As for the price...that depends on what you find when you check it out.
It's worth what you're willing to pay for it.

M

That's a standard bridge for that year. Maybe the positioning of the striping makes it look a little different.

oscarvan
12-02-2020, 11:14 AM
you couldn’t buy one with Detroit’s and change engines for that price.

Nope, nor would you want to. Unless you want to shoe horn in 1000 horse per side, change all the running gear and make a ski boat out of it.:p

VieEnRose
12-04-2020, 02:37 PM
I still dont understand why everyone is in favor of the 6CTA or QSC in the MY but deem them too small for the same size or small C.