PDA

View Full Version : Salon couch with rod storage

Fish Tales
09-15-2017, 11:37 AM
My 65 convertible has no rod storage in the boat. There is alot in the bridge, however I chose the open bridge model, so the concern of theft and corrosion is a good enough concern, I leave the rods on beds. Not a problem until time to cruise or raftup, and all has to come back home.

My older 41 and 45 had rod holders on the ceiling of the salon, and looked nice with custom internationals hanging all matching. However, I do not want to hang them in the salon of the 65 (mostly the wife).

The question is I have been on custom boats with rod storage under the sectional couches, but mine are custom to fit the boat, but no hinged lids or any kind of storage. More like leather house sectionals

I tried googling, and not very good results.

Anybody using modified or custom couches to store their nice tackle?

Thanks,
Tim

bobk
09-15-2017, 01:58 PM
Walt P and I used a guy in NJ to make our sofas. Check with Walt for contact information. His name was Lubo and he did nice custom work.

Bobk

Fish Tales
09-15-2017, 02:06 PM
Bobk,

Thanks for the lead. Any details on your configuration?

Mine is L shaped, so it would be nice to have both sections hinge for both long, short, and 2 piece rods.

Thanks,
Tim

Pls
09-15-2017, 02:48 PM
We have this in our 50c salon. The cushions come up and there is storage underneath. I store the rods, reels, pole spears in the longer side and use the other side for storage on long trips. Glastop Marine in Pompano Beach Florida is an excellent source for the sectionals and their website has a lot of information on what is available. Pete

bobk
09-15-2017, 03:43 PM
Bobk,

Thanks for the lead. Any details on your configuration?

Mine is L shaped, so it would be nice to have both sections hinge for both long, short, and 2 piece rods.

Thanks,
Tim

Mine is a regular sofa with three cushions which lift up to storage underneath. Walt's is the same size but he had his done in two cushions. Lubo can make almost anything that you want, and comfortable too. He also made a pair of wall hugger recliners for me.

Bobk

Fish Tales
09-15-2017, 04:05 PM
Pls,

Thanks for the lead, I left a message with them, they will call me back hopefully.

Bobk,

Thanks, I will call Walt P next week, I am ready to get out of here, and grab that cocktail.
I have a generator business in Central Fl. My phones are sizzling. Not much business, but alot of people wanting me to fix things over the phone.

You guys have a great weekend,
Thanks, again,

Tim

Bob Bradley
09-15-2017, 05:48 PM
I built in a rod "safe" in the side seat of my flybridge. The seat had no storage under it - it was just a molded bench about 8' long or so made of fiberglass reinforced plywood. I cut out an opening 10" wide by 7' long in the top, then used angle aluminum stock bolted thru the perimeter of the hole to make a receiver for the cut out piece to set upon. To the piece I added a pair of angle aluminum brackets that stick out from the side and slide under the edge of the hole to secure one side. I put 4 keyed alike cabinet locks along the opposite side. You couldn't get into this thing with a crowbar - it would take a circular saw to break into it.

All my rods are uni-butt. I had a local seamstress make me three rod bags out of denim. Once the rods are broken down, each bag holds 5 rods in separate pockets, and they roll up and tie with denim strips that she added. I use neoprene reel covers and position the reels and rod bags under the seat. The seat cushion hides the whole thing.

Tim Powell
09-16-2017, 05:54 PM
Im have a 52c i added space going down the stirs over head stores 8 80 rods i put the reels and buts in the forward closit. I also redid the couch threw away the couch and made a new one with the ability to store 6 50 and 6 20 they are nested and i do not take them apart.
You may be able to ninge the queen and put all you want there but you will loose some drawers.

ageless
09-17-2017, 02:01 AM
I think the whole "rod locker" concept that I've observed SUCKS. Why the hell would I want to have to attach reels to butts, and butts to rods when I want to fish? Tim, my 55 has the salon storage area converted to a rod locker, I am reconfiguring it now to accommodate my Shimano and avet reels, seems PO had Penn equipment. My locker will hold (3) 80's, (4) 50's, and (5) 30's, all ready to fish instantly. Theres is even room for a cabinet I am building out of PVC board to hold (8) Plano storage boxes ad (6) roll up lure bags

Tim Powell
09-17-2017, 09:13 AM
I think the whole "rod locker" concept that I've observed SUCKS. Why the hell would I want to have to attach reels to butts, and butts to rods when I want to fish? Tim, my 55 has the salon storage area converted to a rod locker, I am reconfiguring it now to accommodate my Shimano and avet reels, seems PO had Penn equipment. My locker will hold (3) 80's, (4) 50's, and (5) 30's, all ready to fish instantly. Theres is even room for a cabinet I am building out of PVC board to hold (8) Plano storage boxes ad (6) roll up lure bags

all i have broken down is the 80wides i only use them when fishing tournaments which only happens about 3 months out of the year. My 50 and 20 stay put put together. Each year i take them apart and free all roller guides and take them apart and oil up both the reels and rods. There are a total of about 14 rods and reels it takes a day or more. When i put the 80 up for the season i take them apart oiling them with a coat of spray oil. Eaven in the boat in dry places they get some spots and green corrosion. All my rods and reels stay together except the 80 wides. As for tackle storage it is all stored in the master under the bed in boxes and marked. I take out what i need the day before. Check it all for nicks kinks and sutch
sharpen hooks for the next day. I have found storing tackle in the tackle lockers in the cockpit becomes crap from exposure to the elements. (can not keep it dry) Washing the boat and rain water gets in the cabinets or just plain condensation. Every thing rust or sticks together i hate that. when i put the tackle up it is clean and dry. My worst item keeping hooks and tools from rusting. I have been storing all terminal tackle in plastic boxes inside the boat.I do not have but a small area for tackle (where i keep what i am using that day) in the cockpit i cut it down it was useless. It is seating now.

ageless
09-17-2017, 01:47 PM
Love the changes Tim. I can't agree more with the idea of gear in the cockpit. My tackle cabinet leaks like hell despite new weather stripping. I only kept tools in there but l have since moved them into the salon leaving only items that will bear no harm being exposed

Tim Powell
09-17-2017, 03:59 PM
Love the changes Tim. I can't agree more with the idea of gear in the cockpit. My tackle cabinet leaks like hell despite new weather stripping. I only kept tools in there but l have since moved them into the salon leaving only items that will bear no harm being exposed

I tried everything to keep the water out but it was useless. Open up the cabinet and the drawers would hold water. So i drilled holes in the small trayes still got water in them and would not drain completely.
I thought maybe the drawer in the troling chair would be ok to keep tools just as bad as the cabnets. I made up my mind to solve the issue.

Tim Powell
09-17-2017, 04:59 PM
here you go home made rod box salon couch

Tim Powell
09-17-2017, 05:28 PM
here is some pre made couches

http://www.glastop.com/marine-furniture-products.asp?id=21

Fish Tales
09-20-2017, 03:38 PM
Tim,

Thanks for the pics on the custom couch. Can you send a pic of the whole couch, only pics I have seen are brochures.

To everyone else, Thanks.

This storm has me in the weeds, I will put more effort on the project a little later.

Be good all,
Tim