PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic paint coating?

nautibake
08-11-2017, 06:01 PM
Hello,
Have spent past year and a half trying to get the paint looking better. Had a complete Awlgrip job circa 2011 by PO. Have tried Awlcare and polymer waxes. Above the rub-rail is stellar, and the hull has alternating streaks of shiny and chalky (mostly the latter). Just had a really good detailer spend a day on the boat and they say the hull prep is to blame, and there is no bringing back the shine. They recommended a ceramic coating. Showed us many before and after pics of previous projects, and this afternoon did a small sample area on our hull. Wow. It almost looks too good to be true. It is $3500 to do the entire hull (rub-rail to water-line) and takes several days. That sounds pretty good compared to a $1,000/foot paint job.

Anyone else have any insight, good or bad on ceramic coatings on marine paint?

As always, any thoughts greatly appreciated!!
Jerry

Boatsb
08-11-2017, 06:06 PM
I'd be interested in finding out more about the product, the process and application. I do not remember seeing a clear ceramic coating before.

bobk
08-11-2017, 07:04 PM
As always, read the MSDS to see what is in it.

Do they warranty the performance?

Did you try Finesset before Awlcare?

Bobk

Boatsb
08-11-2017, 07:06 PM
And what's the real cost of painting the hull itsno where's near $1,000 per foot.

SEVEN
08-11-2017, 11:32 PM
Look at jobs they have done a year ago and see if it lives up to there warranty. Remember the words you get what you pay for and if it's to good to be true it probably isn't. Do your research.

Nightingale
08-12-2017, 08:36 AM
The only ceramic coatings I have ever seen are there to protect the already corrected finish or new paint. I have used it on gel coat and it's very expensive but it outlasts any polymer or wax by far.

Boatsb
08-12-2017, 08:45 AM
Is it just a clear over the old paint?

Is it durable in a marine environment?

Can it be patched?

nautibake
08-12-2017, 09:08 AM
I'd be interested in finding out more about the product, the process and application. I do not remember seeing a clear ceramic coating before.

Scott - here is a link to the web-site (not really much product / technical information):

http://amceramiccoating.com/about/

I'll ask him for more specific info...

nautibake
08-12-2017, 09:13 AM
As always, read the MSDS to see what is in it.

Do they warranty the performance?

Did you try Finesset before Awlcare?

Bobk

Bobk - thanks. Good point about the MSDS.

They do offer a written 5 year warranty that is basically unlimited (whatever it takes to repair / replace during that time).

I did not try Finesset, was not familiar with it. I'll look it up!!

nautibake
08-12-2017, 09:16 AM
And what's the real cost of painting the hull itsno where's near $1,000 per foot.

Good point, maybe half that for just the hull?

nautibake
08-12-2017, 09:19 AM
Look at jobs they have done a year ago and see if it lives up to there warranty. Remember the words you get what you pay for and if it's to good to be true it probably isn't. Do your research.

Thanks SEVEN - we asked for some references and the pointed us to a Boston Whaler Conquest 305 here in our marina that was done 2 years ago. It looks phenomenal, and the owners are happy (the same guy that applies the ceramic coating also details their boat every 6 months). We need to talk to some others since one good example does not make a proof case.

nautibake
08-12-2017, 09:24 AM
The only ceramic coatings I have ever seen are there to protect the already corrected finish or new paint. I have used it on gel coat and it's very expensive but it outlasts any polymer or wax by far.

Nightingale - thank you, that is good to know. Apparently this same outfit applies the coating for new Whalers as an option when they are sold at MarineMax. My quote was $3500 which was a discount because they just detailed the entire boat. They have quite a few pictures of old, chalky gelcoat or paint that they have brought back to look like new, so apparently they have developed a restoration approach as opposed to just new.

nautibake
08-12-2017, 09:26 AM
Is it just a clear over the old paint?

Is it durable in a marine environment?

Can it be patched?

That is exactly what it appears to be Scott, and with the warranty they say they will come back and patch as necessary for 5 years. I'm going to try to learn as much as I can, because it seems like a really good option, even if it only is guaranteed for 5 years.

Walter P
08-12-2017, 11:09 PM
A paint job on a hull is generally much less per ft than the superstructure. The hull is just lots of square feet with nothing to slow down the prep like windows, hardware, non skid and so on. I was quoted significantly less than $500 ft for just the hull by a very reputable yard in the northern Chesapeake. I hope to have the entire boat preped and awlgriped this fall and winter.

Walt

Boatsb
08-13-2017, 12:07 AM
If the surface is fair and well adhered its probably closer to $15 -20k

nautibake
08-13-2017, 01:34 PM

Thanks Scott - good to know. So the ceramic coating is about ~20% of a hull repaint. I'm assuming $15-20K would not include bottom paint, so in my case that might add $3500 -$4000

Still intrigued by the coating if I can be assured of 5+ years.

nautibake
08-13-2017, 01:36 PM

A paint job on a hull is generally much less per ft than the superstructure. The hull is just lots of square feet with nothing to slow down the prep like windows, hardware, non skid and so on. I was quoted significantly less than $500 ft for just the hull by a very reputable yard in the northern Chesapeake. I hope to have the entire boat preped and awlgriped this fall and winter.

Walt

Thanks Walt - that makes sense, sounds like the labor cost is definitely in the superstructure. good luck with your project!

Jerry