PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a 34' hat

bill_the_hopeful_boater
08-02-2017, 03:57 PM
Hello folks I am new to this forum and I am looking to get back into boating. Had small 20' Grady's and a 25 " chris craft with a single screw. I am now looking for a 34 60's vintage Hat conv or sport
with gas engines since I know absolutely zero about diesels.
I am not into speed and would be cruising at the 12-15 knot range. I have heard these boats are super stable and can handle lousy weather. I am in the Long island area. Any help would be much appreciated.

Tim Powell
08-02-2017, 06:10 PM
Hello folks I am new to this forum and I am looking to get back into boating. Had small 20' Grady's and a 25 " chris craft with a single screw. I am now looking for a 34 60's vintage Hat conv or sport
I am not into speed and would be cruising at the 12-15 knot range. I have heard these boats are super stable and can handle lousy weather. I am in the Long island area. Any help would be much appreciated.

click here

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1964/Hatteras-SF-3078700/Kent-Island/MD/United-States#.WYJNaesXA2x

Boatsb
08-02-2017, 06:33 PM
From the listing.

This great classic would make someone a great bay boat. She is hull number four. First boat to be layed up with fiberglass. Needs a little work on the interior.

SeaEric
08-02-2017, 08:58 PM
What were hulls 1, 2 and 3 laid up in? Paper Mache'? <puzzled look>

Boatsb
08-02-2017, 09:09 PM
Just a suggestion.

Look at the 36c series 1 also

And diesels are not a bad thing to have if their the right ones.

Walter P
08-03-2017, 12:51 AM
Diesels for sure.....especially on an early boat. Even though no ethanal fuel may be available, I would be concerned about the possibility that it may not be available when traveling to different areas. If it's a gas boat, I would either change out the fuel tanks or repower with diesel. Changing out the fuel tanks will be much cheaper.

Walt

Avenger
08-03-2017, 03:17 AM
Good point. You're not going to find deathanol free fuel around here. If it's a gas boat it either will have had the tanks changed, or will need to have the tanks changed.

rrr
08-03-2017, 05:23 AM
From the listing.

This great classic would make someone a great bay boat. She is hull number four. First boat to be layed up with fiberglass. Needs a little work on the interior.

Are you sure ? I don't know my hull # but I have a 1963 and it's fiberglass and I have seen another one same year.

BobWaz
08-03-2017, 08:37 AM

Bill....I had a 1963 34SC. When I brought her home to Northern Lake Champlain, we had some wind gusts to 50 mph. We would gain 9MPH coming off the waves of a following sea. There were 3 CG rescues that day. We never got wet on the bridge! Yes, a very stable boat!

UNIQUE_NAME
08-03-2017, 09:12 AM

had a 66 sedan with 350ci's. loved the boat, built like a tank but woefully underpowered. know a guy who had a 67 conv with big blocks, performance was much better.
as mentioned previously, no real gas around long island only ethanol. which means you will need fuel tanks if PO hasn't done them. if they haven't been changed and the boat has been used since 2006 check the engines carefully.
its not if but when there will be problems.

bill_the_hopeful_boater
08-03-2017, 01:46 PM
I see that I have the right forum. All of you have provided me with great input. I think I will have to expand the search and include the 36c which was suggested and have started researching diesel engines and how to maintain them.
I have noticed that here is a 36c gas in NJ on craigslist along with another 38 gas hat in Bayshore LI plus another 36 c which is a diesel in Hampton bays. Does anyone know these boats ?

Fish Tales
08-03-2017, 03:57 PM
My friend in Va had the 36c. Named PELICAN. Slow but brought up fish. I had the gas 41c, and used to follow him to the Norfolk canyon. That boat was sweet, and knocked the waves down for me. Very proud bow and rode that way. Looked like a scaled down 45 or 55.

Good luck and welcome aboard.

Tim

madhatter66
08-03-2017, 06:29 PM
I currently own a 66'. Great boat and yes the tanks were replace due to ethanol. Actually damaged my starboard motor and had it rebuilt. Twin 350s I cruise around 18MPH at 2900 RPMs. Plenty of cockpit space. The replacement of the tanks and deck weren't bad just tedious work. Awesome boat and fits my needs even if it is a gasser.

rtrafford
08-05-2017, 08:23 AM
From the listing.

Used to own a 41' Rhodes Bounty 1961. Hull #53. Started production in 1959. Solid fiberglass.

krush
08-05-2017, 09:00 AM
Be patient, a nice 34 or 36 will pop up. Just make sure you have cash and ready to jump when it does, because they sell fast. Keep eye on craigslist, too. The smaller boats often don't make it to yachtworld.

I looked at and considered 34/36, but they just weren't big enough. A 41c is much more useful with 2 staterooms and full head/shower. From what I can tell, the fuel burn really isn't that much more and maintenance wont be any more either. I figured all the overhead of maintaining a boat, engines, cleaning, etc, may as well move up a tiny bit to a 41.

Fish Tales
08-15-2017, 02:00 PM
As Krush stated, the 41 is not that much larger with twice the amenities. I had one for 22 years. Had Chrysler gas engines originally. Upgraded to Chevy engines, then finally Cat conversion. Also painted it 2 times. I really miss that boat.

Be open minded when these old girls come on the market, and I agree with having cash at the ready. It really talks. An older dated boat for a steal is not really that bad. Gives you quite a blank canvas to end up with the boat you want. Of course the forum here will help, and have you in the perfect one.

Have a blessed week,
Tim

rtrafford
08-16-2017, 04:24 PM
As Krush stated, the 41 is not that much larger with twice the amenities. I had one for 22 years. Had Chrysler gas engines originally. Upgraded to Chevy engines, then finally Cat conversion. Also painted it 2 times. I really miss that boat.

Be open minded when these old girls come on the market, and I agree with having cash at the ready. It really talks. An older dated boat for a steal is not really that bad. Gives you quite a blank canvas to end up with the boat you want. Of course the forum here will help, and have you in the perfect one.

Have a blessed week,
Tim

Indeed. Know (knew?) of a 60's 41c in Lauderdale that fits the bill. Cash could buy her cheaply, and what is really needed is an interior makeover. That's the easy lift. Terrific boat, terrific series...

Fish Tales
08-17-2017, 09:53 AM
This is my old 41 after I rolled and tipped her, new top and bow rail, and the 3126 cat conversion.
Hated to sell her. I thing she is for sale. I will try to find out.

Tim

bill_the_hopeful_boater
08-18-2017, 02:14 PM
The only issue I have with anything over 36 is where I can keep her. Many of the yards near me, Long Island NY do not have large slips available. I like what I see in the 41's and I definitely will keep an open mind.
I would be a cash buyer and the interior work would not worry me as long as the mechanical s are on the money I would be interested. Since it appears I would have to travel to get something does anyone know of a transporter to get it up north ?

Fish Tales
08-18-2017, 03:35 PM
I drove mine from Norfolk Va. to South of Daytona Beach in Fla. All the way down the ditch. Winter time, too nasty off Shore. One of the best experiences of my life. Dreaded doing it until on my way. Do it again in a heart beat. Call Randy, (Freebird). He can do it on one engine, and one hand tied behind his back. Hell, I will go with him.

Have a great weekend,
Tim

rtrafford
08-19-2017, 04:26 PM
The only issue I have with anything over 36 is where I can keep her. Many of the yards near me, Long Island NY do not have large slips available. I like what I see in the 41's and I definitely will keep an open mind.
I would be a cash buyer and the interior work would not worry me as long as the mechanical s are on the money I would be interested. Since it appears I would have to travel to get something does anyone know of a transporter to get it up north ?

Long Island...she'd fit in New Rochelle just fine. Good yards and good access, obviously close to LI.

If you're thinking 36, think hard about 41. Those were/are terrific boats.

Avenger
08-19-2017, 06:22 PM
Where on LI are you? There should be plenty of.slips for a.41 available.

bill_the_hopeful_boater
08-21-2017, 01:56 PM
Where on LI are you? There should be plenty of.slips for a.41 available.
I'm on the north shore in smithtown. Unfortunately the only places that I know of will cost an arm and a leg or two legs. I was actually thinking of putting it down on the south shore. Babylon, lindenhurst bay shore area. At least on the south shore there are options up here it is Britannia or Danfords. Since I am just getting back into boating not to many other options yet.

jpk55
08-23-2017, 02:44 PM
I'm at Britannia and could make a few suggestions in the Huntington area if your interested.

Jeff Kotler
Southern Cross
1981 61' motor yacht

hunshatt
08-24-2017, 03:56 PM
I had a 41 for a few years... nice boat.. slow .... ended up getting out of boats for a decade or so.... started looking a CC's when a buddy sent me a Craigs list ad for a 34 in long island ... lowish hours EFI gas.. tank had been switched to aluminum.. bought it, flew down to NYC, drove to the Hamptons and ran her home to Ma the next day... 12 hours , should have been 10 or less... needs an interior refit... but overall super happy with her... a much more manageable sized boat than my 41 on the merrimac river (9-11 knt current coming and going) we needed a crew to get the old boat on the dock.... now my G-friend and I can run this one without crew ..

hunshatt
08-25-2017, 11:53 AM
http://www.samsmarine.com/gallery/files/1/0/1/5/hatt9.jpg23236

madhatter1
08-25-2017, 12:11 PM
Our 34 is a perfect sized boat. A little tight with 4 staying onboard overnight but very doable. Plenty of room when its just the two of us.I had a too big boat once and survived that. I was lucky that I was too proud of my 34 and priced it too high to sell. And as Hunshatt has pointed out very manageable to run.

bill_the_hopeful_boater
08-25-2017, 04:15 PM
I had a 41 for a few years... nice boat.. slow .... ended up getting out of boats for a decade or so.... started looking a CC's when a buddy sent me a Craigs list ad for a 34 in long island ... lowish hours EFI gas.. tank had been switched to aluminum.. bought it, flew down to NYC, drove to the Hamptons and ran her home to Ma the next day... 12 hours , should have been 10 or less... needs an interior refit... but overall super happy with her... a much more manageable sized boat than my 41 on the merrimac river (9-11 knt current coming and going) we needed a crew to get the old boat on the dock.... now my G-friend and I can run this one without crew ..
That's exactly what I am looking for. I saw one back in July on craigslist called the OutLaw but it is no longer listed so I think it was sold.

krush
08-26-2017, 09:56 AM
I'd pass on 34 gas, unless smoking deal. Have cash, and keep eye out. I'm thinking 40-60k is fair budget, but you may find cheaper. I almost bought this one 2 years ago, think name was Bandit (see video).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chnIyxPaTL8

hunshatt
08-29-2017, 08:48 AM
That's exactly what I am looking for. I saw one back in July on craigslist called the OutLaw but it is no longer listed so I think it was sold.

that is the boat(and the one in the picture ) .... it was well worth what I ended up paying for it...... plenty fast with the gassers... it needs an interior refit some clean up and it'll be a bargain(till I repower.. LOL)

Rich Kuehne
08-29-2017, 12:04 PM
Check Craigs List, S. NJ, or Phila, or Allentown or Del. our 36 is posted there. 1972.
Very clean, rebuilt 454s and trans. New through hulls. New Amtico Teak and Holly floors.
Priced right. New photos posted today.
Call me for additional information.'
Rich Kuehne
215-460-0124

krush
08-29-2017, 12:54 PM
Check Craigs List, S. NJ, or Phila, or Allentown or Del. our 36 is posted there. 1972.

Here link https://delaware.craigslist.org/boa/d/hatterasrebuilt-454trans-solid/6276725587.html

Rich Kuehne
08-29-2017, 01:11 PM
Krush, thank you for posting the link.

Yes that is the link to our Hatteras. Worth a look by anyone looking for a Hat. Located in Beach Haven, NJ

Rich Kuehne
215-460-0124

Glory
08-29-2017, 04:13 PM
What were hulls 1, 2 and 3 laid up in? Paper Mache'? <puzzled look>

Is paper Mache water proof?

LOL

34Hatt
08-30-2017, 07:12 AM
I'd pass on 34 gas, unless smoking deal. Have cash, and keep eye out. I'm thinking 40-60k is fair budget, but you may find cheaper. I almost bought this one 2 years ago, think name was Bandit (see video).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chnIyxPaTL8

Yes that video is on Bandit Cummins 270 B's in her.

So why would you pass on a 34 with gas then list a 36 with gas?

Like I told Hunshatt the price he got his for he can't burn enough gas to warrant switching to diesel.
Timmy tell them the miles and gallons burned I don't want to post wrong #s and don't remember the exact #s but it wasn't bad siince they are EFI.

Last year Magic Hatt was for sale and nobody here wanted one now this summer there has been 3 people looking, too bad Magic hatt was clean and had fresh paint.

krush
08-30-2017, 11:51 AM
So why would you pass on a 34 with gas then list a 36 with gas?

I just was helping by posting link to the ad Rich was referring to.

hunshatt
08-30-2017, 02:35 PM
[QUOTE=34Hatt;318057]

Like I told Hunshatt the price he got his for he can't burn enough gas to warrant switching to diesel.
Timmy tell them the miles and gallons burned I don't want to post wrong #s and don't remember the exact #s but it wasn't bad siince they are EFI.

come on dan.. you know me... I cant remember last night , forget 4 weeks ago .... but it wasn't bad... and it could have been better, if I hadn't run at 3900- 4100 rpm most of the trip.... jsut shy of 200 miles, around 10 hours underway and 250-275 (ish) gals .. that is my recollection