PDA

View Full Version : Entry door refinishing question on 42C

Hooked
01-26-2017, 01:55 PM
I am about to refinish the outside painted surface of my Salon door on my 1977 42C. The lower 4" has several large chips missing from the paint. I am questioning whether this is actually just paint or if it is paint over epoxy resin? I question this because of the great durability of the finish on the rest of the door and the thickness/ strength of the paint that is chipped. Any tips on refinishing thi door would be much appreciated Bill

Cricket
01-26-2017, 02:45 PM
Have a photo?
Fill them with thickened epoxy, prime the spots, fill the pin holes with glazing putty, maybe prime the spots again, prime the whole door, spray the finish coat.
Instead of epoxy you may be able to use 3M's premium marine filler, it's vinylester, if the chips are above the wood. Stuff is easy to work with, have had some success when in a rush.
Do not use Bondo or any other auto body filler.
Don't forget to block sand between each step to keep it nice and flat.
Yes, owning a boat is fun.

bobk
01-26-2017, 04:51 PM
Have a photo?
Fill them with thickened epoxy, prime the spots, fill the pin holes with glazing putty, maybe prime the spots again, prime the whole door, spray the finish coat.
Instead of epoxy you may be able to use 3M's premium marine filler, it's vinylester, if the chips are above the wood. Stuff is easy to work with, have had some success when in a rush.
Do not use Bondo or any other auto body filler.
Don't forget to block sand between each step to keep it nice and flat.
Yes, owning a boat is fun.

If he is going over an epoxy patch, vinyl ester may not stick. It, like polyester, uses a free radical cure which the amines in an epoxy inhibit. There is a very good epoxy fairing compound that will fill in one coat with out pinholes. It's been 30 years since I used it and my CRS prevents me from recalling the brand. My guess is Interlux.

Bobk

Cricket
01-26-2017, 06:24 PM
Whatever it was it's probably not available today after 30 years, if it is it's probably not the same because of regulations. Usually we use epoxy only just to make sure everything sticks. The 3m vinylester putty is really good stuff, haven't used it directly on epoxy put have on top of epoxy primers. I've scene gelcoat on epoxy that's held up for 20 years and that's not supposed to work so who knows.

Hooked
01-26-2017, 08:25 PM
Thanks guys. Appreciate the advice. Will send pics of the finished door

Boatsb
01-27-2017, 07:55 AM
epoxy is the best choice. It sticks to everything but starboard.

I use epoxy almost exclusively for patches. For paint I prime with 545, Fill with awlfair or the alexseal version and hen paint,