PDA

View Full Version : 2" list

Chasemmc
08-16-2016, 08:12 PM
After getting 56' 81MY home noticed 2" list to port. All bilges pretty much dry. Looking into the port naiad access hatch in engine room 1" water up against the top stringer. PO said they had a list on the starboard side which turned out to be corroded walkway drain nipple dumping rain water into the hull.

Does anyone know how to access same on port side? What other hatches available to confirm diagnosis?:eek:

Boatsb
08-16-2016, 08:26 PM
Your boat is full of pokemon. If you get rid of them it should level out.

dottieshusband
08-16-2016, 10:37 PM
I don't know your boat, but in mine, the walkway drain, and salon air handler, and sink all go to above the waterline thru hulls in the port ER. There is a removable panel in the mid stateroom closet that exposes part of the drain lines travel. The drain lines on the aft deck are accessed by removable plywood veneer corners, and soffit panels in the master Stateroom, and removable exhaust plenum panels. The Refriderator, dishwasher and oven are all on the port side in my boat and it also has a slight port list. The PO had placed large heavy chain in the area near the Starbord stuffing box to even it out. My water pumps are on the port side and have been the source of water there in the past, also a leaking exhaust collector has sent water there.

Freestyle
08-17-2016, 11:45 AM
A couple of weeks ago I filled all tanks for a run from Tampa to Key West. After filling, the boat was taking on water from the port engine room through hull and aft shower through hull. I carry a heavy duty dewatering pump and pumped the thing dry but it was still listing. So it had to be something other than the fueling which made sense since I fill it with fuel routinely.

We were carrying a ton of cans filled with liquid in the garage which probably added a lot of weight but the wait was evenly distributed. I figured the problem had to be something that had changed. After going bow to stern I noticed my mate had added a gigantic new cooler and placed it on the port side of the aft deck. Once we moved it to centerline the list stopped.

I still can't believe a heavy cooler could do that to a boat this big but facts are facts. I guess the riding arm of inertia is still actually part of the modern world.

So my advice is to look for something new to the boat and heavy on the outboard of the listing side.

Bruce
Freestyle
1985 62 CPMY (4 with 8 foot cockpit extentsion)
Tampa

Angela
08-17-2016, 01:25 PM
It's amazing at how [relatively] little it takes to straighten up a boat of this size. A couple of weeks ago, my list to port was so bad that the marina office called to advise me that they thought my boat was taking on water because she was heeled over so far. I put four dead golf cart batteries on the starboard side, and she is perfectly level for the first time since I've owned her. Thanks for the dead batteries, Pascal!

Now, I know that the inverter battery bank, when it installed, is going to solve my problem and I can offload the dead batteries I'm using as ballast.

Chasemmc
08-20-2016, 10:04 PM
Went up today to pull the inop fw pressure pump. Starboard engine room access panel over Naiad full of water. This is the space created by the outward engine stringer. Pumped 300g approx before empty. Still has a little list. All bilge pump spaces are dry.

I think that space is blocked laterally by transverse stringers. Really not a lot of room to work in here. The access panels are small. I can only see two penetrations. One sea cock with strainer and the naiad. Can`t see where the stabilizers Rod goes through the hull.

Any help would be appreciated.

Freeebird
08-22-2016, 10:34 AM
If she's taking on that much water, I think I'd rig a temporary bilge pump in the section where that water is being trapped. You can pump it into an area where another pump will take it out. Oh yeah, did I mention I have a couple of 32V bilge pumps for sale? :D

Seriously, if nothing else, stick a 110V sump pump down in there if you can find a place to fit it.

Chasemmc
08-22-2016, 10:14 PM
I think it took a few weeks to take on that much. I will go back after a few days and measure how much got in for a better estimate. I believe only two penetrations here, the naiad & a raw water inlet for a head.
Maybe has something to do with the stabilizers shutter.

Pumped into starboard bilge and then overboard.

Anybody know a naiad guy up in tenn?

Chasemmc
08-22-2016, 10:14 PM
Hey Randy, did u pick up your new boat?

Freeebird
08-22-2016, 11:26 PM
Pulled her home from Biloxi yesterday.

Freeebird
08-22-2016, 11:32 PM
No trim tabs needed, and no list. :)

Freeebird
08-23-2016, 12:02 AM
Speaking of maiden voyages, this video was shot by a friend of the PO after he had the boat rigged and ran it the first time. She's fast now, and she'll be even faster next week when I put my big motor on her and have Allison tweak the pad a tad. Mid 90's should come pretty easy.

http://s802.photobucket.com/user/lbfd48/media/016-1.mp4.html

Chasemmc
08-23-2016, 07:32 PM
Sweet....

Freeebird
08-23-2016, 07:40 PM
Will take you for a ride in October. Can be to Hales Bar and back from the Riverfront in about an hour... unless you want me to push it.

davidwigler
01-01-2017, 09:15 PM
It's amazing at how [relatively] little it takes to straighten up a boat of this size. A couple of weeks ago, my list to port was so bad that the marina office called to advise me that they thought my boat was taking on water because she was heeled over so far. I put four dead golf cart batteries on the starboard side, and she is perfectly level for the first time since I've owned her. Thanks for the dead batteries, Pascal!

Now, I know that the inverter battery bank, when it installed, is going to solve my problem and I can offload the dead batteries I'm using as ballast.

Ang, where did you locate the four ballast batteries? I'm tired of my port list. It's really noticeable for some reason (at least 2") when I fill both water tanks. Maybe only 1" when the water tanks are empty. I'm heavy on fuel too, but that's on the centerline. I hoped the granite countertops in the heads would help but no change.

kjcampos
01-15-2017, 07:47 PM
After getting 56' 81MY home noticed 2" list to port. All bilges pretty much dry. Looking into the port naiad access hatch in engine room 1" water up against the top stringer. PO said they had a list on the starboard side which turned out to be corroded walkway drain nipple dumping rain water into the hull.

Does anyone know how to access same on port side? What other hatches available to confirm diagnosis?:eek:

Hi Chasemmc ...my 56' 81MY lists about 1 degree to Starboard on the level bubble but i think its from Davit and from my 13' Whaler and the 40HP engine that is on that side on the Fly Bridge we also have a True 10 cu ft refrigerator on that side in the Aft Deck filled with all kinds of goodies....never have to many cold goodies lol...we also have our 24V Bow Thruster batteries in the generator room on that side ...my bilges all have about 1" of water what the pumps won't suck dry....i have seen many Hatteras listing i guess when we start adding stuff to them its hard to keep them level...

Finalee
01-15-2017, 07:52 PM
Leaking Naiad seals will put a lot of water in the boat.

Chasemmc
01-15-2017, 09:38 PM
Mine was due to a leak ocurring on the top of the bilge fw tank at the baffle connection. It emptied the header tank above the starboard stringer so all that water was laying between the upper and lower stringer with no limber hole to get to the bilge pump.

I cut the master floor to expose the top of the tank, ground down to virgin fiberglass and reglassed the tank top for about a 1' x 3' section.

My bilge pumps won't completely pump out either, but can't stand the thought of mold inducing moisture down there, so i pop the access panel and use a wet vac to finish off the 1/4" the pump won't get.

Do u have electrical schematics?

Mark