PDA

View Full Version : Used Radar

Jackman
02-15-2006, 09:21 PM
I'm looking at a used Furuno 1942 MKII 64nm 6KW unit. I guess I'm thinking about going used if the price is right because I have other things I need to get this year but still need a radar. (Mainly a liferaft is next.) I ran into this used unit though. Not sure what its worth but its five years old. I know electronics depreciate very quickly because electronics are just that way. Any idea what this might be worth? I've talked with some other guys but I tend to get....no I always get better information from this site!

Also...never had a radar before. I eventually want a good furuno color charplotter/radar unit but thats on hold for the moment. I found I could use the antenna on this unit for the newer vx2 models if I decided to upgrade.

Thanks,

Jack

SeaEric
02-15-2006, 10:06 PM
Look on ebay. It may give you an idea of what the used gear brings. PS, it sells for more than you'd imagine.

Captned
02-16-2006, 06:26 AM
According to my records, I bought a used Furuno Model 1931 radar (two heads and open array)(64 NM i think) for $1050 off of Ebay on 7/14/04. I sold one of the heads for $250. She’s been working ever since. For the little amount that I use it, it made sense to go with used.

Captned

captddis
02-16-2006, 07:52 AM
I looked for a radar on e bay for a year, there are deals to be had but more often than not the prices were bid up past what I wanted to pay for a used unit. There are good used radars out there that were removed for upgrades. Keep in mind that there are also many that are past their prime or have intermittent problems. If the radar has to be repaired, it is easy to spend 1000.00 or more.
In the end I bit the bullet and bought a new 1942 mk. 2. I paid 4286.00 and it has a 2 yr. warranty.If you can get the used 1942 for 1500.00 it is a good deal. If you feel comfortable that it is in good cond, maybe 2000.00 .

Jackman
02-16-2006, 08:04 AM
I got pictures from the guy and could see that it was definitely used...if that makes any sense. I guess I mean that it had scratches ect and looked as though it wasn't in an electronics case for protection. I couldn't get him any lower than $2400. To me that's not low enough because its bascially only half of what a new one with a warranty cost..in color and new top of the line vx2 series. His is five years and like you said probably past its prime ect. After looking at things last evening I think I decided to pass on it. In my head, which isn't well-educated on this topic, I wasn't comfortable paying more than 1k for the unit. He said he had someone in miami interested for $2500 I guess I'll let that guy have a crack at it.

If I search long enough I may have enough excess cash to by new by that time! Back to the searching! Thanks, and if anyone sees one that seems reasonable, by all means please give me the heads ups! :D

REBrueckner
02-16-2006, 01:30 PM
Some radars have a recording and display option to show how many hours they have been used. My 1999 Furuno has it. I think it has about 150 hours over five years.

Anybody know how many hours a radar is good for??

I have a 1989 Raytheon aboard that works just fine. The major difference between the old Raytheon and the new Furuno is the latter has more intuitive and simpler control knobs. The new unit is open array and I think has a bit better disrimination as a result but not by much.

I bought a six year old Furuno for my prior Matthews and used it about five years before I sold the boat...never had a problem. I found it in the next boatyard to mine: The guy was refitting a sailboat to travel around the world and wanted everything brand new. He deomonstrated the unit aboard his boat for me before I bought it. I think I paid about half price for it.

I see no reason a radar shouldn't last close to 20 years in typical recreational use.

As suggested, I'd follow some e-bay auctions to get an an idea of age vs selling price. "Watch this item" records final sale prices for you to make a convenient record of sales history. Relative prices DO vary considerably from time to time. Sales ending weekends sometimes have higher sales prices..maybe because more people bid???

captddis
02-16-2006, 02:06 PM
The newer Furunos have the time logs, that record time in stby and transmit time. True a quality radar will go many years. The magnatron typically is good for 1000 to 1500 hrs.of transmit time, some more some less. Keeping everything clean and dry also helps. I purposely bracket mounted my display and I remove it when not in use and store inside. Ditto for the color plotter.
Keeping the electronics out of the heat seems to help a lot also.I proved this to a cust who had chronic problems with his plotter and lcd displays. They would cook inside his dark enclosure. Once they were stored inside the boat, no more problems.

REBrueckner
02-16-2006, 04:10 PM
If a magnetron only lasts 1500 hours, thats less than a year of only eight hour daily use, about two months round the clock. That seems awfully, awfully low. Are commercial radars significantly longer lived??

captddis
02-16-2006, 05:25 PM
The number was a average that was told to me by several techs. It also from my experience seems to be about correct. Thats why I keep the radar on stby when not needed. I had a long debate about this on another forum. All the self proffessed legal experts had a differing opinion, but I can't see using up something that has a finite life if not needed. In stby mode it is just seconds until usable.

Trojan
02-16-2006, 07:17 PM
I only use my radar at night and that is only if the situation warrants it. I may be selling a Raytheon radar soon. It looks like new. Looks almost like a copy of the new furunos and will link like the furuno. It's a Pathfinder Model SL70 with a LCD screen. It has an enclosed array 24 inches in dia. 48NM. range. I have never used it. I do know it works. I also have the manual for it. It is located at the lower helm and I very seldom drive from there. I have all Furuno on the bridge and drive from there. I have just purchased another Furuno as a backup for the bridge. I don't think I need 3 radars. The unit was used on the the boat when I purchased it. I'm a firm believer in Furuno. I don't know what the unit is worth. If your interested in it give me a call maybe we can work something out. 419-466-5284. My email is still not working correct.

Bill

Jackman
02-16-2006, 08:34 PM
Trojan,

I'll see if I can give you a call tomorrow. What's your best time? My cell number is 717-575-5195 if you want to contact me. You wouldn't happen to have a picture of it would you so I know exactly what you are interested in selling?

My main goal here is to get a radar that will hold me over until I have enough to purchase a complete 1944C vx2 system with all the bells and whistles. Right now I just want an affordable used one that works because my main focus at this point is to purchase a high quality life raft for offshore. To me that is more important than the radar at this point. If I can afford both at this point...a new life raft and a used radar unit, I will get both and then later on purchase the 1944C and use the used one as a backup. I have been looking at ebay but most of them seem to be brand new.

Thanks,

Jack

Trojan
02-16-2006, 09:54 PM
I don't have any pictures at the moment. I just got my email working I think.
Eriewherry@yahoo.com. You can call most anytime during the day or evening. I'm in no hurry, The boat is on the hard until 4/1 and its too cold to work on it now. Today it was 58 deg. after midnight is dropping in the single numbers. Michigan weather. I will try to get some pictures. I owe another guy some other pictures. Its been lousy weather here.

Capten
02-16-2006, 10:08 PM
For reference, I sold a 10 year old Furuno 48 mile radar (monochrome and open array) and Furuno FCV1000 color sounder 2 years ago for $2,000.00 (maybe it was $2,500 - that money is long gone). Both items were in excellent operational and cosmetic condition. I was happy to get something for the equipment and the buyer was tickled at what he was getting for the price.

As far as eBay goes, if you are a registered user, you can go back and search completed auctions also to research what things have sold for in the recent past.

Check with some local (and maybe not so local) electronic shops to see what used equipment they have. I know that used Furuno equipment has serious value to the commercial guys and a lot of shops will take stuff in on trade/consignment during upgrades. Try the Martek outfits (especially www.martekki.com) and KWC in VA (http://www.kwctronics.com/used_electronic_equip.htm).