PDA

View Full Version : Huckins 45 Sports Fish

Artzco
01-06-2016, 05:12 PM
Interesting video on the first Huckins built in the last 9 years. I watched it being built from the hull up and was docked next to it while they finishing up. Beautiful boat and the owner previously owned Betrams.

https://vimeo.com/150302533

http://www.powerandmotoryacht.com/boat-tests/huckins-45-sportfisherman#.Vo2OPhHtF0k

Walter P
01-07-2016, 12:55 AM
Beautiful boat with an excellent video. Thanks Art.

From the video it looks to be a fast running boat and with "only" 480 HP engines. Huckins have always been wonderful boats and were known for their ability to run fast even through sporty seas. I believe they also made a bunch of PT boats during WW2 that were fast and ran well off shore. I was only on one Huckins, a 50 something that was owned by a boat magazine writer by the name of Dick Bradley. He and his wife lived aboard at Faro Blanco in Marathon during the late 70's and 80's. Last time I saw it was at Indian Harbor marina on the Banana river in Fla late 80's and it still looked good.

Walt

Artzco
01-07-2016, 08:56 AM
The pod drives seem to make a difference and it runs around 35 knots. I spent a day watching them install the engine/drive units. It seems to maneuver around very well in tight spots.

Huckins built two squadrons of PT boats that were 78'.

Artzco
01-07-2016, 09:00 AM
Beautiful boat with an excellent video. Thanks Art.

From the video it looks to be a fast running boat and with "only" 480 HP engines. Huckins have always been wonderful boats and were known for their ability to run fast even through sporty seas. I believe they also made a bunch of PT boats during WW2 that were fast and ran well off shore. I was only on one Huckins, a 50 something that was owned by a boat magazine writer by the name of Dick Bradley. He and his wife lived aboard at Faro Blanco in Marathon during the late 70's and 80's. Last time I saw it was at Indian Harbor marina on the Banana river in Fla late 80's and it still looked good.

Walt

Indian Harbor Marina changed to Telemar Bay in 1998. That was where my boat was located for 5 years when I bought it.

saltshaker
01-07-2016, 10:08 AM
Beautiful boat and impressive performance. I wonder if the engine info is a typo as it list the engines as 480HP QSM11s. That would be a very low rating for those engines. I think the QSBs are putting out more than that now.

krush
01-07-2016, 02:39 PM
Really like the design. What makes it so great is that less is more. Simple yet elegant.

nor'easter
01-07-2016, 10:29 PM
She is a looker and a solid performer.

I think the 5.9 tops at 480 hp and the 6.7 is rated up to 550. At least that is what is stuck in my head.