PDA

View Full Version : 1971 Hatteras 43 DCMY

Cool Beans
11-01-2015, 06:09 PM
Hello again!

I looked at another Hatteras over the weekend and I'm impressed! Like, I'm getting cold feet about buying another boat and living aboard. . .as I can see my self buying this one. I mean, every thru-hull worked! Even the 1 old cone style :cool:

Pending acceptable survey, blah blah. . .

Couple concerns though, if I could run these by you:

-Of course there is the cracking I posted about in it's own thread. . .
-Engines are 8v53's. What kind of GPH can I expect @ trawler speeds? Cruising? Whats the maintenance schedule like? Engine hours are questionable. I found old paper work from 1990 stating 3000 hrs, but the broker stated new hour meters were installed and they read 550 hours. Please see pictures for rust. I'm not sure whats rusting (components), and how serious it is? Manifold replacement in the future?
-Where could/would you put a washer dryer?
-Has anyone done any kind of queen bed conversion in the aft cabin?
-Most of the aluminum is pitting. . .can this be polished out/treated?
-The boat has been under cover for probably 25 years. Nothing inside has any heavy water marks from years of leaking. There is however some powdery residue from minor leaks (washing/condensation) at the main windows. This will be an issue in my open slip. How is this remedied?
-if I make a return trip, anything in particular I should look out for?
-How do you service the rudder post stuffing boxes?

Thanks! Sometimes I think I over analyze this stuff :(

Cool Beans
11-01-2015, 06:11 PM

Cool Beans
11-01-2015, 06:14 PM

Cool Beans
11-01-2015, 06:15 PM

Cool Beans
11-01-2015, 06:16 PM

rob71
11-02-2015, 03:13 PM
I have owned a 1971 DCMY with fly bridge for about 8 yrs. (love the fly bridge)
I live aboard.
it shows very minor stress cracking at various corners and curves, nothing that water would get through.
To awnser some of your other questions...
I extended the starboard master bunk into a full size by simply adding a cantilevered piece of 3/4 inch oak plywood. It is stiff enough that 2 150 lb. people can sit on the edge.
There are lots of posts on removing and/or replacing window frames on these boats. Some leaks can be eliminated by simply replacing the rubber molding on the exterior.
To access the rudder posts, there are square panels on both port and starboard sides on the aft portion of the bed sides. (Get a Robertson/square drive bit set for the screws).
I have seen a washer/dryer combo mounted in the forward stateroom closet.
Hopefully you will have access to a laundry room where you dock.
I can not help with info on 8V53 , mine were replaced by P.O. with Volvo's
Look closely at the fuel clarity (bright red and clear) in the filter bowls, dirty tanks are common and be challenging to get clean. Also well functioning toilet and hoses, pumps are important items to update!

Good luck, lots of them out there
Capt. Rob

magnawake
11-02-2015, 05:12 PM
Looks like something would be leaking to make a residue. Thats strange its so rusty. The engine vents let in salty air and can do that. Humidity will also do it. Sounds like it needs TLC and lots of caulking. You can count on changing all filters including taking apart the Racor and clean that funnel looking internal part. All oil filters and oil too. Remove the heat exchangers and give them an acid bath to make sure the engines cool properly. Flushing the oil coolers and the A/C coils might be needed too. It wouldnt be a bad idea to change the holding tank hoses while your doing all that. Maybe you can find a small monkey boy to help get in those tight places. Sounds like a lot of work when you think about it. prolly needs bottom paint too. I thought you were going to Florida? Hope this one works out for you.

Cool Beans
11-02-2015, 07:01 PM
Thanks for the post Rob ;)

Magnawake, from what I've seen of boats offered for sale...they all need work/TLC to some degree :( I have yet to find a bristol boat that needs nothing that I can afford, lol. As for that trawler in florida, original tanks, not maintenance records, needs TLC/work. . .12 hr drive there and back. . .nice boat, but 1700 mile round trip to just check out a boat on a whim isn't appealing at the moment. Trying to exhaust all local possibilities first.

As for the rusty manifolds (the outers on each motor. inners are fine), could that be leaking seawater? I thought the manifolds had anti-freeze going thru them? Shearing off bolts heads is a scary thought. . .wonder if the seller could be pressed to cover R&R as part of sale?

And yes, my little brother is small and always looking to make a buck. I'll have him crawl around in there! Sanitation hose look new, Trident with green stripe.