PDA

View Full Version : Battery load testers - Any recommendations ?

Milacron
09-20-2015, 01:13 PM
In my case need to test Deka 1231MF with 1000 CCA rating... a dozen of them... all flooded wet type but "no maintenance" so can't check specific gravity.

Would a 500 amp load tester like below give thumbs up or down definitive results within a minute or two ? Or should I consider a larger amp size or better quality load tester ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-500-AMP-CARBON-PILE-BATTERY-LOAD-TESTER-1000-CCA-/151325992053?hash=item233bbb6475&item=151325992053&vxp=mtr

Boatsb
09-20-2015, 03:01 PM
Man up and buy the right tool if your going to diy. This is why good mechanics aren't cheep.

https://store.snapon.com/Electronic-Battery-System-Testers-Tester-Battery-and-Electrical-System-Enhanced-P823712.aspx

Milacron
09-20-2015, 03:39 PM
Man up and buy the right tool if your going to diy. This is why good mechanics aren't cheep.

https://store.snapon.com/Electronic-Battery-System-Testers-Tester-Battery-and-Electrical-System-Enhanced-P823712.aspx Oooh...I like it....not all that expensive either. Holy cow...for once you have given me some actual helpful advice.

But the "man up" comment is bizarre. By that logic, while I'm milling/drilling/tapping custom parts on a $40,000 CNC mill maybe I should make fun of you for not "manning up" because you are hacking out parts with a handheld torch and Chinese drill press ? LOL...

=========

(on edit)

Maybe it wouldn't be manning up enough, but I see there is a "basic" version of this tester (model EECS150) that might do just fine for those of us using 12 volt batteries (do any of you use multiple 6 volt batteries ? I think maybe my bow thruster does... ) In other words the "basic" model is the same case and display but is even cheaper at only 230 bucks. Other differences from the Enhanced model (EECS350) are smaller cable clamps, 300 less CCA capability, no printer port, and less system test capabilities.

The downside of either unit compared to the simplistic analog types (besides cost) is like anything with electroics they are subject to component failure and obsolesence. The analog ones are so simple they probably last forever as long as you don't let it overheat. But being sorta geeky I'm inclined toward the Snap On one regardless !

But not to be outdone in the manly manness department, you know I HAVE to go with the "Enhanced" model regardless of cost ! (well...really I need the 6 and 24 volt capability... 24 for my electric pallet jacks at the shop)

Boatsb
09-20-2015, 04:26 PM
First I don't have a Chinese drill press. But then again where is delta made these days? Mines old enough to be safe from that. My woodworking tools are anywhere between 15 and 40 years old.

I may not have my own Bridgeport but I don't need one. I have friends who gladly help me as I help them. My tester was over $300 because I need to test 6, 8 and 12 volt batteries. My meters, crimpers, interfaces and other electrical tools and supplies probably cost almost what your machine did.

Having the right tools is important. Knowing how to use them is paramount.

My favorite shop to borrow.

Milacron
09-20-2015, 05:15 PM
My favorite shop to borrow.Not bad....nice floor. Looks like a classic Colchester engine lathe, and a newer Clausing Colchester version in there. Plus a Bridgeport mill...or that style anyway. Looks like a proper building too..not just a cheap metal building.

Boatsb
09-20-2015, 05:17 PM
Not bad....nice floor. Looks like a classic Colchester engine lathe, and a newer Clausing Colchester version in there. Plus a Bridgeport mill...or that style anyway.

2 large and a small bridgeport. Plus all types of shears, brakes and welding gear.

Milacron
09-20-2015, 05:57 PM
Getting back to the Snap On EECS350 tester, once you clip the leads on a 1000 CCA battery, how long does the unit take to get the battery health data on the screen ? And does it keep that data in memory for potential review hours later...or for that matter, for trending comparison months later ?

Boatsb
09-20-2015, 06:40 PM
Testing is about 30 seconds. I'm not sure of the me more as it was out of stock so I have another brand. I save the data in the customers paperwork.

rsmith
09-20-2015, 08:13 PM
Since Man up has become a sexist term I prefer Nut up or shut up! Complements of Woody

bigbill
09-20-2015, 08:30 PM
i hate to be a smart ass here but why would you ever think a 500 amp tester would work on a 1000 amp battery? if you are going to do this stuff your self you NEED the right tools.

Boatsb
09-20-2015, 10:01 PM
The eBay seller is properly named boondogle.

He's selling harbor freight tools online.

Milacron
09-21-2015, 08:28 AM
i hate to be a smart ass here but why would you ever think a 500 amp tester would work on a 1000 amp battery? if you are going to do this stuff your self you NEED the right tools. I would think that, because apparently I know more about this subject than you do. Even a small 100 amp load tester can test a 1000 CCA battery (see description at below link). A 500 amp tester is more than adequate for a 1000 CCA battery load test. The risk with a smaller one (like 100 amp) is overheating the elements and melting the on/off switch eventually.

Consider the following...those little 100 amp load testers are sucessfully used by the tens of thousands every day to test typical auto batteries. How many auto start batteries do you know of that have a CCA rating of 100 amps ? Even a motorcycle battery is more than that !

The Snap On unit works differently, apparently measuring the resistance between lead plates. Which is good...as it doesn't put the battery thru an unnecessary discharge cycle to measure it's health. The downside is ten years from now the Snap On will probably be kaput due to some electronics failure, whereas the old style 500 amp tester will last forever if treated right.

Still, at less than 400 bucks for the Snap On type, which is easier on the battery, smaller/lighter to carry around/store and gives more information on the state of the battery... that's not a bad trade off IMHO. Ten years from now, I'll just buy another one !

http://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-BT-100-Battery-Load-Tester/dp/B000AMBOI0

bobk
09-21-2015, 11:15 AM
You can get a good, non-professional indication of battery health by watching the volt meters as you crank these old pieces of iron. Observe the drop when the batteries are new, and watch for lower voltage as they age. At least that's what this cheap guy does. Walt, who professes to be even cheaper than me, may not have volt meters ;)

Bob

Milacron
09-21-2015, 02:15 PM
i hate to be a smart ass here but why would you ever think a 500 amp tester would work on a 1000 amp battery? if you are going to do this stuff your self you NEED the right tools.Further to what I already mentioned, a 500 amp conventional "toaster" load tester is EXACTLY the right size for a 1000 CCA battery. See below for confirmation of that.

http://autorepair.about.com/library/weekly/aa101604c.htm

drburke
09-21-2015, 06:24 PM
...At least that's what this cheap guy does. Walt, who professes to be even cheaper than me, may not have volt meters ;)

Bob

You guys are harsh!

I personally use a portable voltmeter and the cranking test.

Boatsb
09-21-2015, 06:27 PM
You can get a good, non-professional indication of battery health by watching the volt meters as you crank these old pieces of iron. Observe the drop when the batteries are new, and watch for lower voltage as they age. At least that's what this cheap guy does. Walt, who professes to be even cheaper than me, may not have volt meters ;)

Bob

Only if chargers are off and its a single battery. The pulse testers are far better as they measure the batteries ability to give and take energy.

bobk
09-21-2015, 07:45 PM
Only if chargers are off and its a single battery. The pulse testers are far better as they measure the batteries ability to give and take energy.

Yep, that's usually the case when I fire up after an overnight anchorage. Although my 8D's are wired in parallel. But the changes are observable.

Bob

Walter P
09-21-2015, 11:31 PM
Hey Bob, Reel boaters don't need no stinkin volt meters..... You're so spoiled..

Walt

34Hatt
09-22-2015, 07:12 AM
Hey Bob, Reel boaters don't need no stinkin volt meters..... You're so spoiled..

Walt

Yeah don't those old Detroit's you all have come with a crank handle :D

bobk
09-22-2015, 08:08 AM
Yeah don't those old Detroit's you all have come with a crank handle :D

Dan, please come by and demonstrate.:D

Bobk

Milacron
09-22-2015, 11:09 AM
The pulse testers are far better as they measure the batteries ability to give and take energy. I want to believe that as I'd love an excuse to buy a new electronic doo dad. But as of yesterday getting word from a couple of guys that test start batteries (marine and semi truck) every day for a living that the electronic type are wrong about 1/3 of the time, whereas the old "toaster" style* are never wrong. I have asked for elaboration on the "1/3 wrong" bit have yet to hear back.

Neither of these guys deal with pure deep cycle batteries however, only commercial grade CCA types... any thoughts on how well the SnapOn unit would work for deep cycle ? (which typically don't have a CCA rating but rather, amp hours)

Yesterday I met up with our local SnapOn truck to see one of these in the flesh. He only had the 150 and the 750 models on the truck....none of the 350 in stock. Nonetheless, was interesting to see them in real life. The 350 is on back order at SnapOn... none available to ship until first week in October.

The 750 would be cool, with built in printer and 2000 CCA capacity...but at over $850 + tax difficult to justify for my situation. Just so much "man-ing up" I can stand :cool:

--------------

*The Hazzard Fraught 500 amp carbon pile load tester is on sale for only 50 bucks !
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=battery+tester

Still, for that one could get the 80 piece rotary nose picking tool...
http://hooniverse.com/2012/09/24/truth-in-advertising-hazard-fraught-tools/