PDA

View Full Version : Co2 Tanks Rusting Away

barkdee
06-15-2015, 07:10 PM
The fire suppression tanks on my 50C are rusted away at their bases. They need replacing or a new system needs to be installed. Anyone have suggestions on what to do? What kind of tanks they are? Or what would be a good replacement system?

Thanks for any help.

davidwigler
06-15-2015, 08:45 PM
I had mine pressure tested and a little rust was just cosmetic after 38 years. Of course the boat is freshwater for no telling how many years.

barkdee
06-15-2015, 09:02 PM
These about rusted through. They look like a tree a beaver' s been chewing on.

dottieshusband
06-15-2015, 09:11 PM
One of mine failed its 10 year pressure test. The Company that did the inspection supplied a used replacement at a very reasonable price... About $350 as I recall.

dsharp
06-15-2015, 09:36 PM
Don't mean to alarm you but a boat in the marina had one explode and it tore that boat all to hell. I would find someone to let the pressure off that thing. Those cylenders need to be tested every 10 years if I remember correctly. There are better systems available now. Those co2 systems make a hell of a mess after use.

rwappleton
06-16-2015, 12:33 AM
Most restaurants still use CO2 systems in their hoods because they do not make a mess. The bottle however can blow up and potentially total and or sink the boat.

I would get a fire extinguisher company out there tomorrow to let the pressure off the tank.

I am happy with my system and am checking it now using the manual now. I am also going to get my tank hydro tested.:cool:

MikeP
06-16-2015, 06:06 AM
CO2 has no residue. IMO, it's the best stuff for that application in an engine room. It will even shut down the engine on it's own. It's disadvantage is that the tank is big/heavy. After CO2 discharge the only thing that is needed is to recharge the bottle. No cleaning at all.

petewentsailing
06-16-2015, 06:11 AM
We had a similar situation and the fire extinguisher company that serviced the system also supplied a second hand replacement tank, as mentioned earlier. They also applied spray on truck bed liner type product to the lower 12" of the bottle to help protect from bilge moisture etc. 6 Years later and still looks perfect.

davidwigler
06-16-2015, 07:39 AM
The service company that tested mine discharged it before removing it and it sounds like a gunshot. He checked all three discharge points and they were frosty. I was very pleased with the system.

bobk
06-16-2015, 08:37 AM
With that much rust, you probably should address the source of the moisture that is causing it. Salt water?

Bobk

Fanfare
06-16-2015, 09:25 AM
Over 45 years my tank rusted at the base and was replaced with a used one. May have been caused by a hot water leak near by. The original tank base was a cup shaped piece of wood. I drilled a hole in the center so this would drain instead of holding water. Then epoxied the base of the new tank. Hope to get another 45 years.

Fire extinguisher company also replaced the head or trigger assembly. I meant to ask why but never got around to it. Since they certify it I hope it needed it.

barkdee
06-16-2015, 09:33 AM
Ok, calling someone this morning to get the tanks out.

Rust is from the boat sitting unused and unmaintained for two or three years. I'm in the middle of refurbishing it.

dgltrader
06-16-2015, 11:30 AM
Good morning,

I am now the "new" owner of 43 dcmy... a great boat and outstanding prior owner (thanks Fred), formerly- Fin A Lee, located in New Port News, VA.

The timing on this perfect as I need to get the CO2 tank inspected, hydro'd and refilled.

Looking for recommendations for a company in the tidewater area that can handle this...

Also, will they expect me to pull the tank and take it to them? or do they generally have their service people in the field who can do this? Any idea of what costs to expect?

I am sure that I will reaching out to "the brain trust" much more in the future.

Also very interested in finding more Hatteras Blog sites (found a few).
Interested in other's experiences and find that there are almost always some valuable info and ideas.

Thanks everyone,

Dave

dsharp
06-16-2015, 01:43 PM
What were the extinguishers that put out a white powder? I always thought those were co2. Has halon been replaced?

barkdee
06-16-2015, 02:53 PM
These tanks are 35lb co2 tanks for a Kidde system. I have two quotes so far for replacements. One for $750 and one for $1,570. Per tank. Must be some sort of rare earth metal they're made of.

SeaEric
06-16-2015, 03:06 PM
These tanks are 35lb co2 tanks for a Kidde system. I have two quotes so far for replacements. One for $750 and one for $1,570. Per tank. Must be some sort of rare earth metal they're made of.

yes indeed. Sounds like they're made from "Unobtainium"

jim rosenthal
06-16-2015, 03:25 PM
I think I'd be looking on the used market. I know you already have used tanks, but I think maybe you could find used tanks in better condition so they would pass inspection. You might look in Boats & Harbours, come to think of it.

Avenger
06-16-2015, 03:37 PM
What were the extinguishers that put out a white powder? I always thought those were co2. Has halon been replaced?

Those are Dry Chemical extinguishers. And you're right, they do make a helluva mess.

The other option is Halon or one of it's modern replacements. They don't make the mess, but they have their limitations too.

Fanfare
06-16-2015, 04:48 PM
Just because there is rust does not mean the tank has to be replaced. Your fire extinguisher certification company will visually inspect and hydro test the tank. These tanks are, by design, thicker on the bottom.

Boatsb
06-16-2015, 05:58 PM
Halon has been replaced .

The EPA had it banned. Probably because it worked .

elpescador47
06-16-2015, 07:49 PM
When I bought my 45C in September, the bottom of the halon tank was severely rusted. The surveyor said it need to be replaced. The mechanic told me that halon was now illegal, and that the whole system would have to be replaced.

I dug around a bit, and my understanding is that while it is now illegal to produce Halon, it's not illegal to sell it. I read somewhere the the FAA still requires commercial aircraft to have halon fire suppression systems. Halon is really expensive. I tried to post a link to some FAQs, but I'm too much of a nnewbie and the site won't let me post links.

When a local fire protection company pulled the tank out (I was too afraid of the unfamiliar fittings and high pressure to do it myself), there were big flakes of rust (1/8" thick and greater) coming off the bottom of the tank. They didn't even want to hydro the tank, and I didn't blame them.

They tested the heat sensor/switch, took old tank, reclaimed the halon, found a used tank, did the hydro, repainted the now-certified used tank, filled it with my original halon, and re-installed it. I removed the tank cap and just put a thick piece of rubber underneath the tank.

They originally quoted my $500, and while they later tried to increase the price by a few hundred dollars, $500 is what I ended up paying.

The tank looks good, maintains it's pressure, and hasn't exploded, so I assume all went well. I hope to never need definitive confirmation.

Diesel
06-16-2015, 08:56 PM
Good morning,

I am now the "new" owner of 43 dcmy... a great boat and outstanding prior owner (thanks Fred), formerly- Fin A Lee, located in New Port News, VA.

The timing on this perfect as I need to get the CO2 tank inspected, hydro'd and refilled.

Looking for recommendations for a company in the tidewater area that can handle this...

Also, will they expect me to pull the tank and take it to them? or do they generally have their service people in the field who can do this? Any idea of what costs to expect?

I am sure that I will reaching out to "the brain trust" much more in the future.

Also very interested in finding more Hatteras Blog sites (found a few).
Interested in other's experiences and find that there are almost always some valuable info and ideas.

Thanks everyone,

Dave

Try Hiller in Chesapeake .

MikeP
06-17-2015, 06:26 AM
I'd suggest that rather than a rubber pad, the tank should sit on something that will allow air to circulate and any moisture to escape. A piece of diamond plate works well. If the tank is not too heavy it could be clamped/suspended above the decking but that's not practical for large tanks.

rsmith
06-17-2015, 07:34 AM
It's a good idea to clean and paint the bottle when it's out for inspection.

barkdee
06-17-2015, 09:29 AM
Well I'm into around 20 phone calls finding new tanks and the best I've done is find 35lb tanks from a welding gas supplier for $250. Problem is finding out if they can be used in place of the originals. A few more calls will hopefully clear this up.

Rust is coming off these tanks in 1/8"chunks. They sit in a oval 3/4" deep cutout that collects water-moisture. I'll maybe replace the wood the tanks sit on with a glassed over perforated piece of wood which will allow moisture to drain from the tank bases.

dgltrader
06-17-2015, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the tip on Hiller in Chesapeake...the hydro is on the survey punch list

Dave