PDA

View Full Version : Wet VS Dry Turbos

finatic
09-16-2014, 01:07 PM
Can someone explain the pros and cons of wet vs. dry turbo's?

saltshaker
09-16-2014, 01:44 PM
Wet turbos are jacketed and cool the housing. Dry turbos have no cooling for the housing. Most dry turbos have some sort of cover or blanket to protect the surroundings from the intense heat they retain. Biggest issue for me is dry turbos can start fires if any oil or other flammable materials comes in contact with them while they are hot. Depending on design, wet turbos can let water into the engine if the housing fails. For me the wet turbos are far superior.

REBrueckner
09-16-2014, 02:09 PM
Any big difference in expected longevity?
How about fuel efficiency?

Boatsb
09-16-2014, 04:20 PM

Wet turbos with the outer jacket and coolant add weight to the vessel therefore reducing overall efficiency by almost .0000000013756%.

Calculator that into your reduced range and higher fuel cost and you can expect the average boater to spend and extra $0.18 per year.

Finalee
09-16-2014, 04:52 PM
Wet turbos with the outer jacket and coolant add weight to the vessel therefore reducing overall efficiency by almost .0000000013756%.

Calculator that into your reduced range and higher fuel cost and you can expect the average boater to spend and extra $0.18 per year.

Well there is one opinion.

Boatsb
09-16-2014, 05:03 PM
It's not like you can swap out one for the other easily. There are different units in different applications. I'm sure someone will tell you one is better than the other for this or that reason and it's probably a good one but replacing dry with wet or visa versa is not just 2 clamps and a few bolts.

If an engine had one type it's probably not a simple change over. If your looking at purchasing a boat the type of turbo can be a factor. If your thinking of changing your existing ones it may not be as simple as you think.

If my last post didn't make it evident I just think the efficiency question makes no sense.

saltshaker
09-16-2014, 05:31 PM
I'm no expert but I don't think it makes a difference at all. The wet turbos are newer designs and typically on "newer" Detroits which also tend to be higher HP. I can say that for the 6V92TA the 550HP wet turbos are much better than the 535HP dry turbos. I think some of that is due to the turbos but there are other differences in the two engines that contribute to the better performance and service.

polarizer
09-17-2014, 12:39 PM
Dry turbo's can cause catastrophic fires. Wet turbo's dont.

Blaine Thorpe
09-17-2014, 01:41 PM
Dry turbos actually perform a little better due to higher exhaust gas temperatures in the hot housing and exhaust gas expansion.

That being said, I have dry turbos on the QSM11s and don't really care for them. I think they are more prone to leak. I am planning on pulling one of them this winter for leaks, maybe both.

We just did Mobile to Peoria, IL in 11 days and have seen a lot more soot in the engine room and around the turbo to exhaust manifold joint on the starboard engine.

Blaine

Tim Powell
09-17-2014, 09:05 PM
I'm no expert but I don't think it makes a difference at all. The wet turbos are newer designs and typically on "newer" Detroits which also tend to be higher HP. I can say that for the 6V92TA the 550HP wet turbos are much better than the 535HP dry turbos. I think some of that is due to the turbos but there are other differences in the two engines that contribute to the better performance and service.

Aman Jack i had the dry on the 45 frankely they are turble and always had problems with them . I have seen them cherry red talk about a fire just waiting to happend. Absolutely no dry ones for me....

jim rosenthal
09-18-2014, 08:20 AM
All turbos have pressure lubrication, right, so the difference is a coolant jacket fed from the engine?

Boatsb
09-18-2014, 01:23 PM
Pretty much.