PDA

View Full Version : Looking at a 1986 41 with 6-71's

captscottc
08-10-2014, 12:33 PM
I'm looking at a 1986 41 convertible which I am very interested in. I'm getting mixed reviews on this particular boat and am hoping some of you Hatts here can offer me some good knowledge regarding. I understand hatteras built them for only a short time

Boatsb
08-10-2014, 01:45 PM
What are you planning on using it for?

Fishing, cruising, family, charter?

Makes a difference.

pizzazsdaddy
08-10-2014, 04:57 PM
I fell bonkers in love with the 41 when it came out in '86. The new look was aggressive, yet stylish and functional all at the same time! So what's your question? If it's a Hatteras of that era, it's a very well built boat. GM671TIs were the popular power option at the time. If you've found a truly nice one of these at a fair price, buy it and enjoy it!

In 1986, The 41 Hatteras, and the 41 Viking were pretty much the only game in town. This is also the year Bertram came out with the Awesome "New Style" 37 Convertible to replace every 35-40ft design they offered in that size range. Hatteras was late to the banquet with this model. The Viking 41 was already a market "hit" for 3 years when the Hatteras 41 arrived. Then, in 1990, the ill advised "luxury tax" on boats, brought this market and the entire American Marine Industry to a grinding halt. That's why there aren't too many 41s out there.

shark 1007
08-11-2014, 08:56 AM
My recollection is they built them for a short time because of issues with the cored bottom. They only made a few and it's only a question of when they will fail generally. They are a beautiful boat indeed, but frequently have hull issues below the waterline.

Good surveyor that knows what to look for is a must.

saltshaker
08-11-2014, 09:34 AM
My recollection is they built them for a short time because of issues with the cored bottom. They only made a few and it's only a question of when they will fail generally. They are a beautiful boat indeed, but frequently have hull issues below the waterline.

Only the first few are cored below the water line then they went to a solid bottom. I think the hull sides are cored which is common for many Hatteras SF. Performance is more of an issue. The 41C is a very nice boat but it seems to require a lot of HP to get her on plane.

capttonyf
08-11-2014, 10:44 AM
Only the first few are cored below the water line then they went to a solid bottom. I think the hull sides are cored which is common for many Hatteras SF. Performance is more of an issue. The 41C is a very nice boat but it seems to require a lot of HP to get her on plane.

Jack is correct, only the first few are cored below the water line but all were cored above. I believe after 1986 they increased fuel capacity as well. I think production ran from 1986 through 1991.The prefered layout for me any way had the Galley tucked up in the forward starb corner. The rest had the galley running the entire length of the salon on the port side taking away some valueable seating area. There were also a few 1 Stateroom galley down boats as well. I think they're a great looking boat but I would look for one powered with 6V92's instead of the 71 series motors if I could. It will be a much faster boat and the extra power will help it get on plane easier, ultimately helping the engines last longer because you can run them at less % of load while maintaining the same speed of a 71 series boat at Max % of cruising load.

Tony

Maynard Rupp
08-11-2014, 02:25 PM
I have heard that they are very slow and chew lots of fuel.

captddis
08-11-2014, 03:02 PM
A friend has a 1987 41C with the single SR and galley down.
It is a big deep 41 and It is a great riding boat. It has been repowered with Cummins 450 C series. It runs 17 kts @ 2100 and tops out around 22 kt. Fuel burn is under 30 gph.
You can sit outboard of the engines and everything is easily accessable.
The interior is much more modern than my 1982 46.

shark 1007
08-11-2014, 04:29 PM
My best recollection is that maybe half a dozen were made with cored bottoms and they stopped in mid year from the core issue. Sides were cored, no doubt, but never heard of problem there.

I'd be careful and fully informed. I looked at one of these boats a few days earlier than planned and the bottom was stripped and ready for paint. There was a giant patch forward where the hull had core issues and was crushed while blocking. It spooked me away from an otherwise well laid out boat.

captscottc
08-11-2014, 11:10 PM
What are you planning on using it for?

Fishing, cruising, family, charter?

Makes a difference.

Mostly cruising around the gulf coast, nothing long range. Maybe a fishing trip here and there

captscottc
08-11-2014, 11:11 PM

Thanks!

captscottc
08-11-2014, 11:15 PM
Thanks for the input guys, all appreciate all the replies.

Tres03
10-02-2014, 12:37 PM
If it is the one in Gulfport I have been on this boat. I can tell you more about if you it is that one.